U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:28 AM

2,602 posts, read 6,803,088 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, the Feds have pretty strict standards when it comes to handing out interstate designations, so it would be unlikely that a city-built highway would be converted to an interstate. It can and has happened, but not so much anymore.

Jacksonville should consider what Pinellas County did with US 19. After being considered the most dangerous road in the country for years, they embarked on a massive construction project that resulted in a closed-access road with an intricate system of access/frontage roads. Almost all of its interchanges are like the one at Atlantic/Kernan. While traffic is still heavy, it moves better due to fewer traffic lights. As far as I know, not much right-of-way was needed since the road was already wide due to multiple enlargements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 06:21 PM

705 posts, read 1,237,183 times
Quote:
...the Feds have pretty strict standards when it comes to handing out interstate designations, so it would be unlikely that a city-built highway would be converted to an interstate....Jacksonville should consider what Pinellas County did with US 19.....they embarked on a massive construction project.... Almost all of its interchanges are like the one at Atlantic/Kernan.
That's what I'm talkin' about. Call it what you want. Leave the names the same. Just give me more freeway style intersections (overpass, on/off ramps). God help you if you live at JAX Beach and work downtown or vice versa. The way it is you have to deal with like 50 traffic lights. I don't understand why they didn't take Interstate 10 all the way to the beach in the first place. The thing goes 2500 miles across the country, why stop it 17 miles from the beach? In Los Angeles, it starts/ends 2 blocks from the ocean.

Last edited by abvavgjoe; 08-28-2010 at 06:35 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 08:43 AM

2,112 posts, read 4,998,546 times
^^^^People that already live convenient to downtown or where they work might just have something to say to you: Move closer to work!

We do have a highway that goes to the Beach and has been extensively widened: it's called JTB.

I hear people where I live complain in the reverse route saying: why can't there be a more direct route to the beach? we have to go up through town, back down 95, then across JTB...

Well I have the same message for them: If the beach is your primary interest, move closer to the darn beach!!

There are too many businesses along Beach and Atlantic to make them limited access highways with access roads. There is simply not enough rooma in many parts for it to work. Kernan was easy because it did not have commercial businesses up and down its length, and actually the only parts that are limited access are the interchanges now (and only 1, which cost around $30 + million to build).

At the time 10 and 95 were constructed in the 50s and 60s, the beach was still a quiet place where people escaped to in the weekends or people retired to for a quiet lifestyle. There were not 100,000 "commuters" living in the beaches/intracoastal west area. In fact, when 10 was built, it did not even service the local population because Riverside, Avondale, Ortega, Confederate Point, and Orange Park were all below it and people used Roosevelt or inner streets. 95 literally destroyed the northside and divided the neighborhoods when it was built (conveniently along natural black and white dividing points and was called the Jacksonville Expressway). It kind of served where there was population, but mainly served its interstate purpose because people were still close enough to use smaller roads into town.

At this same point in time, LA was already a big city, mostly built up, and having traffic problems. If you notice, 10 in LA starts underground and is heavily constricted by buildings on both sides as it traverses through the area. For us to need another highway like that, we should probably be larger to support use, funding, and reason to build it. Right now, we have no support for th $20-$60 million per lane mile it can cost to build or make another road a freeway.

The BJP did call for more freeway style interchanges, around 22 to be exact, but ran out of money.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Move closer to work!
Hmm,..usually I find your posts intelligent and well thought out. You can't always move close to work for many reasons, ie other people in your household don't work where you do, you can't always sell your house when you change jobs, etc.

My point is, I see a need for a freeway like JTB closer to the center of town (where Atlantic Blvd is) to help handle the heavy East/West traffic on Atlantic and Beach. If you disagree, that's fine. Hell, I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen any time soon. I'm just sayin'. Realistically, maybe they'll put in a couple more overpasses. I'm just hoping for that.

Last edited by abvavgjoe; 08-29-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 05:05 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,007,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
At this same point in time, LA was already a big city, mostly built up, and having traffic problems. If you notice, 10 in LA starts underground and is heavily constricted by buildings on both sides as it traverses through the area. For us to need another highway like that, we should probably be larger to support use, funding, and reason to build it. Right now, we have no support for th $20-$60 million per lane mile it can cost to build or make another road a freeway.
At least LA is finally coming around & investing like crazy in mass transit. Yeah, it took basically the entire city becoming a wall of cars & freeways with horrible gridlocked traffic, but still. Should be a lesson to other cities that you can only go so far with that.

Meanwhile, in Jacksonville.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:43 PM

I wish LA luck with their traffic woes, but their metro area has 17,775,000 people as of 2008. They're going to need a lot of luck. With a properly designed system of roads, with only 1.4 million people, we shouldn't have any traffic proplems.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,007,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
I wish LA luck with their traffic woes, but their metro area has 17,775,000 people as of 2008. They're going to need a lot of luck. With a properly designed system of roads, with only 1.4 million people, we shouldn't have any traffic proplems.
I agree. We prob wont see those types of traffic problems for a long long time.

My beef with Jax's setup is that it encompasses a HUGE land mass (isn't it the biggest in the country?) for only 1.4 million people. It's horribly inefficient, esp when you consider all the areas inside of 295 that arent being utilized.

And it just seems like the city planners are trying to make it worse by projects like this First Coast Outer Beltway thing, which costs close to $2 Billion to make. But then scoff at a light rail project which is a small fraction of that (like $100 Million). Giving our current economic climate & how all these "pop up overnight" sub-divisions are being abandoned (because there's no real value in them, both price-wise & just living-wise), it seems like its a really really bad idea. Most cities are tightening up their belts. We are not. I believe its what will separate a great city (thats a real actual city) from those "cities" that are basically just a big collection of sub-divisions & strip malls.

It's the kind of thing that makes me leery of staying here because I just don't think it'll get better for many years. I like Jax, but I dont want me & my family to be a slave to our cars for the rest of our lives either.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:32 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,768,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
It's a brand new highway and it's already too narrow for rush hour traffic. Why didn't they make it 6 lanes at least with an eye to the future needs of Jacksonville?
You mean to tell me its still 9A????

Old 08-31-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
You mean to tell me its still 9A????
That's what the signs & Mapquest are telling me.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:20 PM

3,530 posts, read 6,840,912 times
Jacksonville has a choice going forward.

This

or this

more roads is not the long term answer. thankfully, the city is starting to catch on:

Street Car & Commuter Rail in Jax SOON!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or