U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-27-2010, 10:31 AM

28 posts, read 40,370 times
Wink Oregon to Jacksonville!

Live in western oregon and want to retire to FL. Have checked foum on Orlando. It is very active with lots of advice, Jax is quiet in comparison! Income is limited and have been told it is cooler closer to the beach. What is the Mandarin area like. Looking for an affordable 1br/1ba apt. Must be on first floor as stairs are difficult. Screened patio a must according to my sis in St. A. Rent $500-600 ish. I know it doesn't seem like much but out here that would not get you more tha a studio in a dangerous part of town! Will have a small dog that is not a barker and I am very good at keeping him clean and poop picked up. Would like to live toward the southern end of town so I can visit my sis without driving extra miles. Need to be near mass transit or walking distance or short drive to stores. I will not move again so this has to be "perfect"! hehehe! Help all you Jax people! Any and all suggestions appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 03:57 PM

27 posts, read 45,706 times
very different world oregon to jax. jax is very big. many different areas with many different cultures so to speak. jax beach is very beachie if thats a world. ponte vedra beach is very retiree friendly. san marco is a nice area. so is riverside. jax though is basically a big sprawl with a lot of suburbs.

mandarin is hit or miss depending on where you are. some parts of mandarin i wouldnt walk alone at night. other parts are very nice. i dont know much about apt's over there. we had a family friend who lived in the complex where sunbeam meets san jose that got mugged and shot. so needless to say i wouldnt suggest that place. however if you are on san jose just south of 295 its a lot nicer. and the farther south on san jose you go the nicer it gets. and if you want to be close to your sis that might be the way to go. im not sure what there is in the way of apts though. not as familiar with the area.

i will say its hard to find a place where everything you need is within walking distance. riverside is one of the few places like that although expect to pay way more than 500 unless you want to live in a dump.

there are definitely some apartments down at the beach that are within walking distance of grocery stores/drug stores/etc... and then a short drive from anything else you'd need. honestly if i were a retiree that would probably be where i would choose to go.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:49 PM

2,113 posts, read 3,029,172 times
I don't think Jacksonville (or most cities of at least a millio people) are as cheap as you may be thinking. $500-600 may get you less in Oregon, but it won't get you much more here. A positive though: I would imagine since your budget is on the lower end you won't get any complaints about your dog, especially since it's a non-barker as you say.

Being on the south/lower side of town will put you in the newer side of town (and overall this side has lower crime than northwest Jax or parts of Arlington). That being said, you will not be in a walkable or pedestrian friendly environment, and a car is a must since you probably won't even be near bus and if you are the headways are like an hour or more with an hour plus ride to the downtown transfer station. If you are going to drive to see your sister in St. Augustine anyway (the only way to get there from Jax, really, until Amtrak comes back or we put in commuter rail), then you should either get used to driving to the store and to run errands, or you should locate a few miles further from your sister, but closer into town, where you can walk more places. The beach is also more walkable and offers cooler summer weather with a breeze, though if you have ailing health and can't get around well, in the case of the rare every 30 years direct hit hurricane (and we are overdo), you may run into trouble.

For your budget I would look into Riverside (right on the river south of downtown, but on the west side of the river), Roosevelt Blvd area on the westside north of the Ortega River (I see the elderly driving around on scooters in that area to Publix all the time), or the Lakewood area just south of San Marco (just south of downtown on the southside, follow San Marco Blvd about 3-5 miles down). All three have really easy interstate 95 access and all three are a little more pedestrian friendly than Mandarin with healthy retirement communities and lower prices (the more walkable you get, the more expensive here).

Old 08-29-2010, 11:43 AM

154 posts, read 415,795 times
If your sister lives in St. Augustine I would look down in that area. Although, I don't know what $500 is going to get you anywhere around Jax or St. Aug without either living in a dump/dangerous area or having a roomate. IMO, we are cooler than Orlando with the sea breeze but you will be in for a major weather shift coming from Western OR. We just had 50 straight days @ 90F or above....

Old 09-12-2010, 01:45 AM

4 posts, read 9,439 times
Apartments in mandarin or north St. Johns county are going to run in the $700-800/month for a 1 bedroom. Jax has the largest land area of any city in the country, so a car is pretty much a must here. There are some small 1 story townhomes off Racetrack Rd. that are right across the street from a Publix. You might find something for rent (or even cheap enough for sale) in there. St. Augustine is about 20-30 minutes from Mandarin, so I would agree with the others that you might consider looking there as well.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:43 PM

3,507 posts, read 4,139,568 times
welcome!! im new msyelf and i founf that there is affordbale apartments almost everywhere.

sounds like you already have some great suggestions!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville