U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:55 PM

3,530 posts, read 6,971,423 times

Advertisements

I recently moved from Portland, oregon where cycling to work, to play, and life is just that; a way of life. I've found it a rare oddity in Jacksonville, Florida, confined to a speckled oasis - if you can find it.
He heat is formidable, that's for certain. The roads are less navigable, that's also certain.

Does anybody cycle to work? ~

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/pace-of-chicago/biketowork.jpg (broken link)

No. This is not me ~ my helmet is yellow, if you must know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 02:32 PM

216 posts, read 633,408 times
Portland, and Jacksonville are like 2 different worlds. I don't see many cycle to work here, and quite often on the news someone on a bicycle has been hit by a vehicle. It's like battlebots on the roads here, and there's not too many cycling trails right within the city. Be careful where you ride, people won't watch out for you.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:44 PM

On a cool day I will. I live 5 miles away from work.
Youll see more of that near downtown in Riverside ,Springfield ,and San marco neighborhoods and at the beach, esp Atlantic beach.
youd have to be crazy to ride most of the South side of town.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:59 PM

621 posts, read 1,399,236 times
I prefer to ride my bike because I want to, and not because I have to.. meaning, I prefer to ride recreationally and not use my bike as my means of getting from point A to point B. It's wonderful to go for a ride around my neighborhood, or to the beach and back, and I try to do this at least a few times a week. We live near Jax Beach though, so it's not so formidable for us to get to the beach (no giant bridges to cross..)

Where in Jax do you live?? Certain areas (as mentioned in the post above) are more bike friendly whereas others arent.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:22 PM

530 posts, read 1,152,243 times
You would be a puddle of sweet with humidity here. Also not a bike friendly town. I see people bike all the time down in my area of town . A lot like to ride from the inter-coastal to the beach on a road with no bike lane and no shoulder. I really like to bike but I want to die of natural causes, not ran over by a pick up truck with a gun rack and a confederate flag on the antenna.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:06 AM

6,979 posts, read 15,887,802 times
You don't see that here! Well, come to think about it, you could very well see that up on the northwest side of Jax. We went to the Swap Meet/Market Place up there once, next to I-10, and the people/some vehicles "looked a lot like Dixie" there. No Thanks!
See very few people riding bicycles here in the Baymeadows/Mandarin area where we live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
You would be a puddle of sweet with humidity here. Also not a bike friendly town. I see people bike all the time down in my area of town . A lot like to ride from the inter-coastal to the beach on a road with no bike lane and no shoulder. I really like to bike but I want to die of natural causes, not ran over by a pick up truck with a gun rack and a confederate flag on the antenna.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:44 AM

I think I meant to say sweat not sweet, though maybe calling it sweet might make sweat less offensive sounding. I also did not want to single out the pick up truck crowd, as I would also not like to be run over by a text messaging, man who gets pedicure BMW driving type either. I am not prejudice when it comes to people I do not want running me over. Just want to make that clear in case I ever decide to run for public office.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:48 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,063,708 times
biking and jogging is andorphine driven-- the more you do it- the more it feels good. the fact that you are in dangerous places, lots cars and muggers, where you will get killed or injured, becomes unimportant, you are there to get high b4 and after work.
been there done that.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:59 AM

I think I'll stick with a gin and tonic after work and coffee before ....and bike when I'm sober. Though your kind of biking might make for a good reality show.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:30 AM

I ride my bike to work a 2-3 times a week. I live 1 mile, literally, away, but I do need to drive on occasion for work....so I have to pick my spots.

It's usually an ok ride at 8am....not too muggy yet. Really, if you're only ride 5 minutes or so, you'll be ok no matter what.

As has been stated, the older historic neighborhood around Downtown and the neighborhoods by the Beaches are the only one's that would be viable to ride to work regularly without risking your life, so that's where you'll it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville