U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:58 AM

37 posts, read 87,055 times

Advertisements

Florida ..hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 04:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,279 times
I have lived in St Marys for the past 3 years and would highly recommend it. FL does not have an income tax, but if you work in GA you are still going to pay GA income taxes, so that is a moot point. I work with several people that bought in FL thinking they would have no income tax, but because they work in GA you still have to pay GA income tax, so I would take that off the table as a reason to go to FL versus GA. St Marys and Kingsland are both relatively small towns, but not rural by any means. You still have the usual chain stores/resteraunts but dont have the traffic you do in cities. If you want to be close to the city you can still live near interstate 95 (Lots of housing within 2 miles of the interstate,,,look at Osprey Cove in St Marys or Laurel Island in Kingsland) You can be in downtown JAX in about 30 mins or so but not have to live around all the traffic/crime. Yulee is very small but not too far to get to places,,,Fernadina Beach is nice but it will be a bit of a commute to Kings Bay. I would recommend St. Marys or Kingsland. I do pay very high property taxes on my home, because the taxes a little high and my home is assessed well over what it is worth (I bought for 315K and the assessment is 550K--I pay $600/month just in property taxes, but it should be half that if it was assessed correctly.) Homeowners insurance is low, and even though you are close to the water because there is a barrier island (Cumberland) and so much marshland there is not much of a chance of flooding (I live a few hundred feet from the water but am not even required to purchase flood insurance although I do for $300/year. Hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:08 AM

527 posts, read 1,206,945 times
Having lived in both states I'd say Florida.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 PM

86 posts, read 134,647 times
Insurance of any kind is higher in Florida for what I understand (Or according to my insurance agent anyways) Florida has a few high first time fees to think about.
If you are buying a new home you will have impact fees to think about
your car tag , changing your DL over, changing your auto ins over,
all the other start up cost of moving in to a new place (phone, lights, water, so on and on)

But really you should come down and spend a day or two in each area (south GA or north FL) and see which one will fit you better, the area, people, distance, schools, so on and on. (My 2 cent)

Good luck :-)

Old 12-29-2011, 08:53 PM

3,240 posts, read 5,704,018 times
Georgia only has one principal city, that's Atlanta. Florida has several big cities/metros in Jacksonville, Tampa/St. Petersburg, Miami/Ft.Lauderdale, Orlando (Greater Orlando), etc. Georgia does have lovely coastal spots that are a 45 minute drive from Jax.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:55 PM

49 posts, read 231,872 times
Georgia has a few other principal cities other than Atlanta. They are Athens, Savannah and Macon.

I've lived in both Florida and Georgia and found Florida's cost of living to be much cheaper. Although, SE part of Georgia might be much cheaper than where I relocated to metro-Atlanta. Someone here posted about still paying Georgia State income tax if you work in Georgia but live in Florida. They're right. We did even while living in Fernandina with one spouse working in Atlanta. Overall, costs are much higher in Georgia. We saw the difference significantly. Closer to major cities you might also have to pay car emissions fees every year. You may want to check to see if Kings Bay requires that. It's not expensive at $20 per car, but it's a real pain in the neck as you won't be allowed to renew your car tags without it.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:55 PM

3,863 posts, read 7,679,840 times
Athens, Savannah and Macon may be major cities in Georgia but their comparative size cities in Florida are not major cities. They are nice cities but not major.
Athens GA. is about as big as Gainesville FL. in no way a major city!
Macon GA. is about as big as Lakeland FL. in no way a major city!
Savannah GA. is about as big as Ft Lauderdale FL. in no way a major city!

Actually the three largest cities in Georgia other than Atlanta are 2nd. Augusta, 3rd. Columbus and then 4th. Savannah. Followed by 5th. Athens and 7th. Macon. Atlanta is ranked as the #40th largest city in the USA, Miami is ranked #47. Jacksonville is ranked as the #11th largest city in the USA(thanks to cosolidation)

But all of your other observations are spot on.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:17 PM

3,237 posts, read 4,644,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjharris View Post
I have lived in St Marys for the past 3 years and would highly recommend it. FL does not have an income tax, but if you work in GA you are still going to pay GA income taxes, so that is a moot point. I work with several people that bought in FL thinking they would have no income tax, but because they work in GA you still have to pay GA income tax
You sure about that? I know someone who works for Georgia Power and lives in Yulee, and he said he pays no state income tax for Georgia, in fact that's why he lives here. Maybe this changed in recent years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or