Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:00 PM

530 posts, read 1,350,919 times

Advertisements

It is a regional difference. Personally I am with you, I like the upstairs MB. However, most realtors here will tell you that an upstairs MB will put off a certain percentage of buyers when that day comes to sell. That said, a Clarington model that features an upstairs MB did recently sell here for 800 grand. I'm not in the the real estate biz, nor an expert in anything other then maybe baseball, but I say build what you desire. In fact one of the latest trends is having two master bedrooms, so why not one up and one down. All problems solved right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 02:59 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect View Post
Mickey Mouses head! LOL Glad to hear what I'm thinking sounds doable. Besides wanting to be on the same floor as our daughter (and her not wanting it any other way), we'll need the guest rms on the 1st floor for visits by our aging parents. We saw there was already an existing home for sale in Coastal Oaks.
I agree with Don and the "master up" and "master down" idea. You could use the "master down" as a guest room/study for now. And don't forget things like grab bars in the bathroom if you'll be having elderly parents as guests. If you take your time with plans - you can set things up one way now with the option to change them in the future simply by doing a little work. For example - we have one bathroom which is currently a guest bath off a hallway. But by opening up a non-structural wall with no plumbing - it would also service a "bedroom" (which we currently use as a study).

I think in general that people should build/buy for themselves - not potential buyers on resale. But my thinking is based on the fact that I don't move very often. People who move every 5 years or so should avoid major things that might turn off a large percentage of potential buyers.

FWIW - I'm a big fan of single story houses. And they're not just for older people. I know a lot of younger people who seem to have knee surgery every few years and wind up on crutches (I think people in general where I live tend to be pretty active). Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 09-13-2010 at 03:13 PM..

Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 PM

377 posts, read 1,727,527 times
I've been building and in real estate for a long time, so just my 2 cents.... unless your filthy rich, you should always think about resale when making your decisions, but don't let it totally control everything. The best way is to create flex spaces that work for you and your family, but also would work for the "norm". If you're going to create 2 master suites, you want to make sure that the downstairs one has a master and master bath similar to all other homes in quality and size, because if you make it a psuedo master/master bath and cut some corners, the majority of people who want the master downstairs will not like it. For the master upstairs, try to create it in a way that it can be used as a bonus room when you're trying to sell it, because bonus rooms are usually larger than a secondary bedroom and most people will have a use for a bonus room vs a second master. Any decent architect/designer should be able to create this for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville