Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:16 AM

30 posts, read 47,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
There is simply no substitute for coming down and looking at a particular place - where it is - and what's around it.

It's pretty much a street by street thing (one way to check is by looking up old articles in the Florida Times Union about heavy rain storms - there are always pictures in the papers of the usual suspects in terms of street flooding). Robyn

Thank you so much for this Robyn55. I was trying to think of ways I could see where floodings happen and this is a great idea!

Obviously, I know that going down there and checking things out for myself is the best bet. Unfortunately, I just can't do that right now. Actually, our plan IS to do that, but we're not going to invest the money on a trip until we have a written job offer. And when that happens we'll only have about 2 weeks to move (so we were told). If thats the case, theres a high possibility that we won't be able to go before we actually move there. So I want to cover all the bases that I can, just in case. You know what I mean? I mean, thats why forums like these exsist, no?

As far as a garage goes, its not a big deal if we have one or not. Would we like one? Sure, but its not priority.

Also, I appreciate what you said about sketchy streets in a high priced area. That was my impression, too. We're just hoping that we can find something in our price range that will be nice (as in aesthetically-to us) and safe. We're pretty simple people and we're not looking for anything fancy.

I have another question! What about the St. Nicholas area? I believe its 32207. We found a nice house there that we're interested in. Any input on that area?

And again, everyone, thanks so much for your willingness to give me your time and info. I soooooo appreciate it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 08:38 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
The best way to determine if a propety is prone to flooding is to see if it is in a flood zone, naturally:

Am I in the Updated Preliminary Flood Zone

That being said, these streets don't flood unless there's some major weather. Not an afternoon shower.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
The best way to determine if a propety is prone to flooding is to see if it is in a flood zone, naturally:

Am I in the Updated Preliminary Flood Zone

That being said, these streets don't flood unless there's some major weather. Not an afternoon shower.

You are awesome! Thank you, thank you!

Old 09-14-2010, 02:16 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenLucy114 View Post
Thank you so much for this Robyn55. I was trying to think of ways I could see where floodings happen and this is a great idea!

Obviously, I know that going down there and checking things out for myself is the best bet. Unfortunately, I just can't do that right now. Actually, our plan IS to do that, but we're not going to invest the money on a trip until we have a written job offer. And when that happens we'll only have about 2 weeks to move (so we were told). If thats the case, theres a high possibility that we won't be able to go before we actually move there. So I want to cover all the bases that I can, just in case. You know what I mean? I mean, thats why forums like these exsist, no?

As far as a garage goes, its not a big deal if we have one or not. Would we like one? Sure, but its not priority.

Also, I appreciate what you said about sketchy streets in a high priced area. That was my impression, too. We're just hoping that we can find something in our price range that will be nice (as in aesthetically-to us) and safe. We're pretty simple people and we're not looking for anything fancy.

I have another question! What about the St. Nicholas area? I believe its 32207. We found a nice house there that we're interested in. Any input on that area?

And again, everyone, thanks so much for your willingness to give me your time and info. I soooooo appreciate it!!!
Two weeks seems like pretty short notice to move a family with kids. Perhaps your husband can move down first - stay in an "extended stay" type of facility - and look around for a couple of weeks after he gets here.

I'm not sure why you're so concerned about flooding - since you'll be renting - not buying. And you can buy renter's flood insurance from the federal flood insurance program - insurance that will cover your belongings.

Our normal thunder boomer summer storms do mess up traffic in a lot of places. For example - this is an area close to where fsu813 lives:

Mulch Causes Flooding In Springfield - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/news/24029978/detail.html - broken link)

But not many houses get flooded on a regular basis. And if a house has flooded in the past - it's usually pretty easy to find the evidence (the water will usually leave stains on the inside and outside of the house). Of course - in any kind of tropical storm - all bets are off - everywhere. Robyn

P.S. I've been on the main roads in the St. Nicholas area - but have never explored the residential neighborhoods.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Two weeks seems like pretty short notice to move a family with kids. Perhaps your husband can move down first - stay in an "extended stay" type of facility - and look around for a couple of weeks after he gets here.

I'm not sure why you're so concerned about flooding - since you'll be renting - not buying. And you can buy renter's flood insurance from the federal flood insurance program - insurance that will cover your belongings.

Our normal thunder boomer summer storms do mess up traffic in a lot of places. For example - this is an area close to where fsu813 lives:

Mulch Causes Flooding In Springfield - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/news/24029978/detail.html - broken link)

But not many houses get flooded on a regular basis. And if a house has flooded in the past - it's usually pretty easy to find the evidence (the water will usually leave stains on the inside and outside of the house). Of course - in any kind of tropical storm - all bets are off - everywhere. Robyn

P.S. I've been on the main roads in the St. Nicholas area - but have never explored the residential neighborhoods.

Two weeks is plenty. Like I said in one of my previous posts we are living pretty much in a transitory way. We're living with extended family (while our house out of state is being rented out) and pretty much out of suitcases and boxes, because we knew this wasn't permanent. Everything is packed and in storage except our beds, clothes and toys. So all we have to do is take apart our beds and close up some boxes and storage tubs. Heck, we'd be able to move in a week, if need be!
I'm going crazy, dying to use my own furniture, my own dishes, my own picture frames, basically everything I own, again. If he left without me, I'd kill him! I would accuse him of abandonment! Hahahaha Kidding!! ....No seriously, though, we considered it, but we decided its best if we all left at the same time.

Anyway, the reason I am worried about flooding, is #1, because an aquaintance of mine told me that theres a lot of flooding and more importantly #2 we had torrential rains early this Spring and our storage space got flooded and a lot of our belongings had to be trashed. Even if insurance covers this, I don't want to deal with it ever again if i can help it.

Sorry if its TMI. I do appreciate your suggestions, though.

Does anyone have any input on St. Nicholas? I looked at satellite views of the area (where the house we found is located) and it looks really cute. It looks a little rural, but nice. I was just wondering if anybody is familiar with the area and can tell me some about it. Thanks in advance!!!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Here ya go:

from: Urban Neighborhoods: St. Nicholas | Metro Jacksonville

It's not really my cup if tea. If most of the houses were like the one above, it'd be pretty nice, but they are much less grand, generally. Similar to Murray Hill in many ways, but less electic, imo. Neither have very much momentum for commerical cooridor revitalization, but Murray Hill has an easier road.

For comparison's sake:

from: Urban Neighborhoods: Murray Hill | Metro Jacksonville

Old 09-15-2010, 02:41 PM

QueenLucy - We have 2 story and higher storage facilities here - many are air conditioned as well. So no reason to worry about flooding in a storage facility.

I'm not familiar with the St. Nicholas residential area - but it's not rural. One thing you have to get used to in Florida is suburban areas very close to downtowns (and downtowns that usually aren't anything to write home about). Note that these "suburban areas" can vary a lot - from very high end houses to slums. The prices will give you clues about the nature of the neighborhood. Robyn

Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 PM

Thanks fsu for that great info! Those pictures were very helpful and you always have the most awesome maps!

Do people still take their kids door to door for trick or treating there? Or is it mostly malls and things of the sort?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks fsu for that great info! Those pictures were very helpful and you always have the most awesome maps!

Do people still take their kids door to door for trick or treating there? Or is it mostly malls and things of the sort?
I live on "Trick or Treat Lane". We get about 200 kids a year (except in 2001 - sad year). About 3 big Costco size bags of candy usually does it. And no - don't come to my block with 10 of your favorite friends. Do it in your own neighborhood . Robyn

Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:

I'm not on the forum much these days, but I noticed you hadn't yet gotten much feedback on St. Nicholas...

First I'll address the 32207 zip:

From a population standpoint, 32207 is one of the most dense zip codes in Jax. Even part of Downtown Jacksonville - the "Southbank" - is included in zip 32207. There are many other neighborhoods covered by the zip as well. From the well known (San Marco) to the not-so-well-known (Oriental Gardens). The vast majority of 32207 is "very nice" at a minimum. A good deal of 32207 is downright stunning. Riverfront mansions, beautiful examples of Mediterranean Revival homes, block after block of storybook brick bungalows...

There's plenty of plain vanilla working class neighborhoods too. There's a percentage of 32207 that has a crime element as well. So it's not perfect, but it all seems to gel together very nicely with no muss, no fuss and not a whole lot of talking about it. It's a very stable area. I live in 32207 and I think it has the best of what Jacksonville has to offer.

Now on to Saint Nicholas:

Like yourself, I like some of the the architecture. There are some picturesque streets. Knowing what I know of Saint Nic, the ONLY part of Saint Nicholas I would ever consider is the Empire Point section. In fact I have considered it and did not pursue it. In short, the crime element of Saint Nicholas crosses my own personal tolerance level. For the same money, I can live elsewhere in 32207 and be more comfortable. That's me, it might be different for you.

So my advice to you would be...

Absolutely continue to look for a home in 32207. Target in on the WESTERN part of 32207...hugging the Saint Johns River and keeping close to San Jose Blvd/Hendricks Avenue. This will put you in the "best of the best" neighborhoods of 32207 .

Secondly, if you need more square footage/lower cost, move down to zip 32217. Again, hug the river, etc. 32217 is San Jose and it has many of the same desirable features as 32207.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville