Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 10:02 AM

310 posts, read 868,807 times

Advertisements

Having been born and raised in Norfolk, as well as living in VA Beach, Newport News, Hampton and York county, I wondered if anyone would be interested in discussing the similarities and differences between the two areas?

A few things which I've noticed are similar:
  • Both areas enjoy beautiful beaches.
  • Both areas have a military presence.
  • Both areas have a lack of centralized public transportation.
  • Both areas are highly religious (churches everywhere).
  • LOTS of bridges (or tunnels) connecting major portions of population.
  • Both areas enjoy recreational water sports regularly.
  • Both areas have a high degree of transient population, either due to the military or private sector transfers.
  • Both areas are also struggling with attracting major corporations to the downtown corridor.
  • Both areas also struggle with the low wages despite higher housing prices.
  • Both areas have neighborhoods which have been gentrified or are going through gentrification. Both have a higher number of walkable neighborhoods closer to the downtown core.

Now here are a few differences between the two places:
  • Although both Jacksonville and Hampton Rhodes enjoy miles of beautiful beaches, VA Beach has done a much better job with making their beaches a major tourist attraction. They have a real boardwalk, they have more parking available, they have more stores and hotels on the beach as well as restaurants, and they also have more concerts which pull people to the beach. I think that Jax's beaches are MUCH cleaner (not an outdoor ashtray like VA Beach) and wider, but quite frankly there's nothing to do there.
  • Hampton Rhodes pretty much came into existence because of the military. If the military was to pick up and close all of their bases in that area, the entire place would go into a major depression. The military also pays better than the going wages in that area, so unless you are in the military or own your business your wages are quite low. I'm a Navy brat so that was a large part of our lives. The neighborhood where I grew up was nearly all military, active duty or retired. In Jacksonville, we are not so dependent upon them for jobs. If they closed up their bases we would certainly feel the effects, but not nearly to the same degree and it would only be in small areas, not entire cities (like VA Beach and Norfolk would).
  • Hampton Rhodes bus system is much larger and accessible; however, due to fighting between the cities the lack of centralization hinders growth of public transport and traffic congestion is probably their #1 problem. Perhaps this is more of a similarity with the Jax area, that's certainly up for debate. Once you get to the downtown core of Norfolk it's quite easy to get around, but getting there is a long bus ride. Many folks just park and walk or ride.
  • In my opinion, the people in Hampton Rhodes are more friendly. We've been here since 2001 and that's just been my experience. The drivers are certainly just as bad in both areas, however.
  • Downtown Norfolk is a real destination where one can enjoy a stroll through Town Point Park by the water, go shopping in the stunning McArthur mall, enjoy an evening at the opera at Chrysler Hall then hit a number of amazing places to eat along the way. There are quite a few things to do which make their downtown a real destination. VA Beach has done a great job with making their beaches a real tourist destination. On the other hand, Jacksonville has struggled with making it a REAL destination; it still remains the place you stop and get gas or spend one night on your way down I95. I'm not sure if this will ever change, but Jacksonville leaders need to do a better job with accentuating the positives about their under-utitlized assets.

Certainly there are many other similarities and differences to list (while typing, the above I also forgot that both areas are struggling with what to do with their once-popular-but-now-dead Waterside and The Landing.). Anything else to add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 12:22 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,217 times
In Jacksonville, it's well understood public transportation is dookey. Unless you live in downtown and use the monorail to get around the city center, you'd have to have a car to traverse other areas of the city. Granted, there are walkable neighborhoods on the Southside and Westside (particularly Riverside/Avondale and the SJTC vicinity) but if you want to go elsewhere, a car is a must. As far as the Landing, Jacksonville Landing is still a vibrant spot for nightlife but you have to go at the right time. It's not a place to go every night because some evenings there's little to nothing going on.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:01 AM

238 posts, read 887,720 times
"Although both Jacksonville and Hampton Rhodes enjoy miles of beautiful beaches, VA Beach has done a much better job with making their beaches a major tourist attraction."

Thank goodness for THAT difference. What I love about our NE Florida beaches is that they are not decked out with tourist attractions. We have beautiful NATURAL beaches up and down the coastline here without all that.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:18 AM

443 posts, read 895,837 times
Just to clarify, I think you mean Hampton Roads if you're talking about the area around Norfolk/Va. Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: