U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 07:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,419 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had recent articles/ links about the economy in Jacksonville.
What are the biggest employers in the area?
What are average wages? (increasing? staying the same?)
What's the local unemployment rate?
Any details on small business opening / closing rates?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 08:36 AM

6,765 posts, read 15,427,317 times
Well, let's put it this way......wife and I are STILL unemployed!! Part of that could be that neither of us have Mortgage, Banking, Insurance or Medical experience.......all four are pretty big here! And, part of it could be due to our age (61/62), of which is another thing! Can't move, so have to keep the old search up.
Other than employment, we absolutely LOVE IT here. Been here almost 2 yrs now.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:21 PM

310 posts, read 739,982 times
Local unemployment has inched up a bit: Jobless rate in the Jacksonville metro area moves higher | jacksonville.com

Can't find an article to show you, but anecdotally I can attest that both our family and most others we know are experiencing either depressed wages (taking a paycut at existing jobs) or underemployment.

We are really feeling the pinch and are having to go from a fairly comfortable, 1-income family with me being a SAHM to a 2-income family. Even if I go to work full time it's doubtful that there's anything out there that will make up the difference we've lost over the past two years. We have no debt but the mortgage (and as it was a small one compared to everyone else, we're doing alright) but utilities and health care co-payes are killing us.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:11 PM

118 posts, read 280,529 times
Although the jobless statistics are inching up in JAX, I know several people who have recently secured jobs. In my circle of associates, things seem to be getting better. Improved hiring may actually be driving the unemployment rate higher as discouraged job seekers reengage the job search and become counted as “unemployed.”

Old 09-17-2010, 09:29 PM

14,635 posts, read 16,484,422 times
Largest private/semi-private/non-local government employers in Duval County:

Major Employers

Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 PM

14,635 posts, read 16,484,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
Local unemployment has inched up a bit: Jobless rate in the Jacksonville metro area moves higher | jacksonville.com

Can't find an article to show you, but anecdotally I can attest that both our family and most others we know are experiencing either depressed wages (taking a paycut at existing jobs) or underemployment.

We are really feeling the pinch and are having to go from a fairly comfortable, 1-income family with me being a SAHM to a 2-income family. Even if I go to work full time it's doubtful that there's anything out there that will make up the difference we've lost over the past two years. We have no debt but the mortgage (and as it was a small one compared to everyone else, we're doing alright) but utilities and health care co-payes are killing us.
If you don't think I'm intruding - I'm curious about your health care situation. Not for any particular reason except I'm curious what middle class people are trying to cope with these days. I'd rather get some info from real people as opposed to newspaper articles. How old are you and family. What do you/your employer pay for you/family if covered? What do you pay out of pocket?

I probably pay a lot more than you do both in terms of monthly insurance payments and deductibles and co-pays (almost $500/month with $13k/year max out of pocket just for me) - but I'm 63 - and I reckon I'm lucky to have any coverage at all as I go into the "home stretch" before Medicare (my husband went on Medicare earlier this year).

Also curious about utilities. People never used to think about utilities - but even I do now. Our electric costs us about $400/average a month in a reasonably energy efficient 3000 sf house. We are retired - so can't kick up the A/C in summer or kick down the heat during a cold snap in the winter when we go to work. And it's an unfortunate fact of life that the older you get - the less you like cold. I am uncomfortable below about 71 in the winter - and my 92 year old father keeps it cranked up to 75. FWIW - when we first moved into our house in 1995 - our monthly electric cost was a bit over $200 average (we are not JEA - and our company buys electric from third parties - there is a baseline cost which is adjusted negative or positive depending on the cost of third party energy - the adjustment was negative for about the first 8-9 years we lived here - it is strongly positive now).

Water has also gotten expensive. We pay average about $125-150/month - but that is mostly to irrigate about an acre of mostly native vegetation (I don't want to see vegetation die and it will in the summer without water). Our waste is a bargain - $15.80/quarter for 2 days a week garbage - one day a week recycling and one day a week yard trash pickup. Maybe we should get the waste guys working on the electric and water utilities . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
View detailed profiles of: