U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 10,766 times
Default My neighbors dog attacked me for the 3rd time!!! NEED ADVICE

First off i live in townhomes in Jacksonville, FL. I live on the end unit of a 4 unit building. We have no HOA and its basically treated as a house.

The next door neighbors have this dog that is aggressive. He barks like crazy anybody is even outside in the driveway. He goes extra crazy if he sees my dog Ike. Ike is a pit bull weighs about 75 pounds. The other dog is a mutt but it looks like there is some german shepard in there.

About a week ago,i was sitting on the back porch with a friend of mine. This dog comes out of the back of her house barking and growling like crazy. He tries to push in the screen on one of the walls and then ran around to the other wall. This other wall doesnt have the bottom of the screen sealled. The dog noses in and rips the seal of the screen that is on the vertical part near the wall and gets halfway in my porch barking and snarling. I scream at it and it stopped coming forward and she came and got her dog. This happened again 2 days later.

Yesterday on August 17th. I took my dog, Ike, out for his walk in the morning. Their dog comes running around the corner and attacks my dog right in front of my house. I punch him 2 or 3 times and he backs off a little and then she came and got her dog. I gave Ike a quick once over to make sure he was alright. Then i take him for his walk and bring him back and put him up.

At this point i'm pretty angry. I go next door and hear her saying goodbye to a boyfriend. I ask him, "Is that your f***ing dog?" He replies, "NO man, he's not my dog. I told her about that dog." I go knock on the door. She answers i tell her "first off if your dog is out without a leash one more time i'm calling the cops. 2nd if your dog attacks me again i'm not calling anybody because i'm going to break his f***ing neck." I realize now that was probably the wrong approach because she was completely defensive after that.

She never apologized for any of the incidents. I told her about that when we were yelling at each other. She said what am i supposed to do apologize when i'm pulling the dog away. I told her yes. Or she could come knock on my door and apologize. I told her she had enough time to say good bye to her boyfriend but not enough time to apologize to the guy your dog just attacked. After that i had to go to work so i left.

At lunch i went back home to check on Ike again. I noticed he had a small limp. The other dog had apparently bit Ike on the paw. Its a small gash in length maybe less than a quarter inch but its also about a quarter inch deep. I waited for her to come home she must have come home after 2 am because that's when i fell asleep.

Today i confront her again. I tell her that her dog bit my dog in the fight. I told her i want the shot records and that i want her to pay for the dogs vet visit so i can get him antibiotics. She tells me that why didnt i say anything yesterday? I told her that i didnt notice it till later in the day and that she didnt come home until very late so i coudlnt have told her about it until now. Then some other boyfriend she has comes up and says if I cared about the dog so much i should have took him to a 24/7 vet and got it treated. I told him that i've taken all my dogs to the same vet for the last 15 years and that i'll take him there next week. They told me that they didnt want to pay for that. They said that my dog would be alright because its not a serious injury. So i said what if it gets infected? Then i'm just out of luck? They said just clean it and it wont. So i told them that if they dont pay for the bill that i'm goin to file complaints for 3 no leash incidents and one incident of damaging property (my screen) and one incident of attacking and wounding another animal. I looked it up and if she gets the full fine on all that its like $2750 and it could also be enough to get the dog put down.

She just keeps saying i'll give you the shot records and well just leave it at that. Then the boyfriend is chiming in with i've had dogs for years and they heal up fine.

I reported all this in one complaint on the 17th when this happened. But you have to fill out afidavids for for it. So what i'm planning to do now is take my dog to the vet anyway. Pay for it out of pocket. And tell her that if she doesnt pay for it within 24 hours of me giving her the bill then i'm going to file seperate complaints for each incident.

As i understand it i need a witness for the no leash incidents. I have one for 2 of them not the 3rd where he actually got to my dog. From what i read i only need one afidavid for the actuall attack and property damage.

What should I do? Shes not being cooperative. But that also might be because i was going crazy yesterday. Today i was very calm and she was still downplaying what happened. Any advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 05:56 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,395,405 times
You've done all you can do so now you need to go the legal route. Then she'll have NO CHOICE but to pay for any damages caused to your dogs. She's liable because her dog attacked yours, period. Is your doggie alright?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:53 PM

120 posts, read 154,630 times
A couple of questions: When you took your dog for a walk and he was attacked- was he on a leash? If not I don't think the system will work for you.

I'm having a hard time picturing a dogfight involving a shepherd and a 75lb. pit bull with no injuries to the shepherd, also the event being calm enough to get 2-3 blows with your fist to the attacking dog.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm just pointing out some fuzzy areas.

If you do pursue this legally the Animal Control Officer will probably bring this up also. The best way (IMO) to proceed (assuming your account is 100% factual) is to work with Animal Control to have the dog designated as a dangerous animal. This places more than usual liabilities on the owner and speeds up the process should the dog attack again.

Maybe once things calm down you can establish a civil relationship with your neighbor and handle things. considering the language you used you have fences to mend here too.

Oh yeah, I would just keep an eye on the wound and let nature do it's thing. If your dog is current w/ shots it doesn't matter if the shepherd is.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 10,766 times
Yes my dog was on a leash. And the attack lasted maybe 20-30 sec. He ran around the corner and got on my dogs neck. My dogs neck has no injuries. I didnt know what to do so i started punching the other dog. He backed off some when i started hitting him and that's when the owner got him and put him in the house.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:18 PM

7,213 posts, read 7,453,568 times
You're approach was out of line. And you should take the dog to your vet and sue her for the cost.

You're loosing ground by not taking care of your dog and waiting till next week. And if you go to court it will not look good that you waited, and if your worried about an infection go now.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:27 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,932,759 times
There is probably a statute of limitations for this type of case (as there is with any case). Go get a free consultation with an attorney (I bet you can find a decent attorney that gives free initial consultations). There are laws that prohibit dogs from being in public without any sort of leash. The area of law determining whether dogs are property or family is shaded gray all across the country right now, but no matter what the classification, a dog can be anything from a nuisance (inhibiting the right of property owners to enjoy the full use of their private real property or inhibiting the right of the public to use and enjoy public rights of way) to a family member that is trespassing on person, chattels (personal property), or trespass to land. This should be an easy case if you really do have one.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:20 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,240,089 times
Just call the police the next time and file a report. You don't really have any case if you have no proof which usually is in the form of at least one police report. Just a warning though - unless you are injured nothing will probably happen. Animal to Animal attacks aren't seen as serious in this country and there really isn't much that can be done. But, a dog biting a person is not tolerated.

Do you have an HOA? If so, why not report them in addition? They may have other incidents with the same dog.

I would not talk to her from now on and just call the police in the future.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:28 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,061,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsim View Post
Maybe once things calm down you can establish a civil relationship with your neighbor and handle things.
This is never going to happen.
Quote:
considering the language you used you have fences to mend here too.
Baloney. It's the neighbor. Just ignore her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're approach was out of line. And you should take the dog to your vet and sue her for the cost.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Just call the police the next time and file a report.
I would not talk to her from now on and just call the police in the future.
Exactly.

The OP needs to refresh her knowledge of Florida's vicious dog laws.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:53 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,591,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyFootMidget View Post
First off i live in townhomes in Jacksonville, FL. I live on the end unit of a 4 unit building. We have no HOA and its basically treated as a house.

The next door neighbors have this dog that is aggressive. He barks like crazy anybody is even outside in the driveway. He goes extra crazy if he sees my dog Ike. Ike is a pit bull weighs about 75 pounds. The other dog is a mutt but it looks like there is some german shepard in there.

About a week ago,i was sitting on the back porch with a friend of mine. This dog comes out of the back of her house barking and growling like crazy. He tries to push in the screen on one of the walls and then ran around to the other wall. This other wall doesnt have the bottom of the screen sealled. The dog noses in and rips the seal of the screen that is on the vertical part near the wall and gets halfway in my porch barking and snarling. I scream at it and it stopped coming forward and she came and got her dog. This happened again 2 days later.

Yesterday on August 17th. I took my dog, Ike, out for his walk in the morning. Their dog comes running around the corner and attacks my dog right in front of my house. I punch him 2 or 3 times and he backs off a little and then she came and got her dog. I gave Ike a quick once over to make sure he was alright. Then i take him for his walk and bring him back and put him up.

At this point i'm pretty angry. I go next door and hear her saying goodbye to a boyfriend. I ask him, "Is that your f***ing dog?" He replies, "NO man, he's not my dog. I told her about that dog." I go knock on the door. She answers i tell her "first off if your dog is out without a leash one more time i'm calling the cops. 2nd if your dog attacks me again i'm not calling anybody because i'm going to break his f***ing neck." I realize now that was probably the wrong approach because she was completely defensive after that.

She never apologized for any of the incidents. I told her about that when we were yelling at each other. She said what am i supposed to do apologize when i'm pulling the dog away. I told her yes. Or she could come knock on my door and apologize. I told her she had enough time to say good bye to her boyfriend but not enough time to apologize to the guy your dog just attacked. After that i had to go to work so i left.

At lunch i went back home to check on Ike again. I noticed he had a small limp. The other dog had apparently bit Ike on the paw. Its a small gash in length maybe less than a quarter inch but its also about a quarter inch deep. I waited for her to come home she must have come home after 2 am because that's when i fell asleep.

Today i confront her again. I tell her that her dog bit my dog in the fight. I told her i want the shot records and that i want her to pay for the dogs vet visit so i can get him antibiotics. She tells me that why didnt i say anything yesterday? I told her that i didnt notice it till later in the day and that she didnt come home until very late so i coudlnt have told her about it until now. Then some other boyfriend she has comes up and says if I cared about the dog so much i should have took him to a 24/7 vet and got it treated. I told him that i've taken all my dogs to the same vet for the last 15 years and that i'll take him there next week. They told me that they didnt want to pay for that. They said that my dog would be alright because its not a serious injury. So i said what if it gets infected? Then i'm just out of luck? They said just clean it and it wont. So i told them that if they dont pay for the bill that i'm goin to file complaints for 3 no leash incidents and one incident of damaging property (my screen) and one incident of attacking and wounding another animal. I looked it up and if she gets the full fine on all that its like $2750 and it could also be enough to get the dog put down.

She just keeps saying i'll give you the shot records and well just leave it at that. Then the boyfriend is chiming in with i've had dogs for years and they heal up fine.

I reported all this in one complaint on the 17th when this happened. But you have to fill out afidavids for for it. So what i'm planning to do now is take my dog to the vet anyway. Pay for it out of pocket. And tell her that if she doesnt pay for it within 24 hours of me giving her the bill then i'm going to file seperate complaints for each incident.

As i understand it i need a witness for the no leash incidents. I have one for 2 of them not the 3rd where he actually got to my dog. From what i read i only need one afidavid for the actuall attack and property damage.

What should I do? Shes not being cooperative. But that also might be because i was going crazy yesterday. Today i was very calm and she was still downplaying what happened. Any advice would be great.
Shoot the dog...problem solved.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 PM

128 posts, read 148,673 times
Kill the owner = permanent resolution

just kidding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville