Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 09:07 AM

6 posts, read 17,708 times

Advertisements

Just wanted some feedback on some of the communities above. I currently live off 9A and Baymeadows, but am looking at moving to St. John's County for the public schools. Does anyone have any feedback on any of the above communities? We are looking to spend btwn 340-380. I am a little concerned about PVB, I love it there, but want a community with lots of kids, do any of those have alot of young families? Also, we want a really active community. We are leaning towards Odom's Mill in particular, love all of the large oak trees! Do any of you live there???Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 09:52 AM

14 posts, read 45,058 times
Default Azalea Point

I live in Azalea Point. There are LOTS & LOTS of families with young children here. Many where I am in the Azalea Point Dr S area & side streets have many children in the 3-6 and under range.
I have looked at all the communities where you mentioned. The reasons I like Azalea Point are:
Gated with guard 24hours
Short walking distance to Ace/Walgreens/McDonalds/Starbucks etc
Longer walk to Fresh Market & Sawgrass plaza or Beach (but not too long)
Nice big pool area with separate adult pool
Fitness room (never used it but it"s there)
Clubhouse (can be rented for party)
2 playgrounds
Everyone very friendly that I have met
Easy access to A1A
Nice landscaping driving through community
Parking for boat or RV if you have one near clubhouse

There are at least 4-5 homes for sale near me for in your price range. The only thing that might be a downfall is that they may not (maybe some are) be very updated (built in late 90's) very much. Positive side is better price and you can personalize the way you like.

I like Sawmill but have heard there are many problems regarding stucco issues. This is according to my real estate broker who was told by a couple of different home inspectors. Not sure it deters anyone from buying there but made me think twice when I was house hunting. I have heard lots of young families there also.

I'm sure St Johns Golf and CC is nice but it's too far out for me. I like the convenient location of PVB on A1A & easy access to JTB. For resale purposes PVB is a much better location in my opinion.

Odoms Mill is nice, Im sure lots of families with kids. Similar to Azalea Point but I like my location here better.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Thanks soooo much!!!!! Does Azalea Point have an active community with Mommy Groups, social events, etc??? I love the location of that neighborhood the best as well! St. John's Golf does seem very far out and I LOVE the beach!

Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 AM

Default Azalea Point

Not sure any of the communities around have any or many mom groups or events (with the exception of maybe a Halloween party at some). Someone may correct me from another community, not sure. But PVB does have many groups in the community for Moms. For example I did mommy & me at my son's preschool for 2 years when he was little, it was basically an organized moms playdate. But there are plenty of opportunities to meet people just walking around the neighborhood.
Wish there were some organized events here in neighborhood but the local churches seem to have a lot...that's another way to meet people.
How old are your children? what size house are you looking for ?

Old 09-19-2010, 11:35 AM

My husband and I are in our mid-30's and I have a 3 yo and pregnant with another. We are looking for a 4/2. Of course, the more sq. ftage the better, but right now our home in Baymeadows is 2200 sq ft and that size really could work, especially if we were in a location we love! Does your child go to the public school there? Do you like it? I know PVB has a bit of a reputation for being a little snooty (please no one be offended, just what I've heard), and wanted to make sure it is a friendly environment. I am not much of a keeping up with the Jones's type of gal, more of a Dave Ramsey, frugal type. haha!!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 03:14 PM

Default Azalea Point

Ha, Ha. PVB does have that reputation but I've been PVB for over 12 years, 10 in Azalea Point. I don't think you would find those types in any of the neighborhoods you mentioned. People here in my neighborhood are very down to earth. In the higher end communities you may find them. Everything is very convenient also, stores, etc...Target in Marsh Landing plaza is less than 10min.
PVPV the elementary school for this neighborhood has an excellent reputation. All the young kids on my street go there. I have a 5yr old & 7 month old. My son just started kindergarten this year at Palmer Catholic Academy, mainly because I grew up going to Catholic schools, not because I didn't like the public school.
You would probably love it here. Very active people here, people are always walking, riding bikes, fishing in our ponds, swimming in the pool, etc...
Have you looked at any of the houses here? There are some great prices on nice homes...Probably all at least 4/2 and sf2000+ for mid to high 300's.

my email is midnte0708@yahoo.com if you have any other questions Good Luck!

Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 PM

Smile Azalea Point

I don't know if you have looked at any of the houses in here yet but I can send you the links of some you might like. Just send me an email.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:58 PM

60 posts, read 187,824 times
Default Nocatee?

Have you considered Nocatee? We moved here a little over a year ago and love it. We live in Coastal Oaks, and there are tons of kids here. There are also Willowcove, Austin Park, and they just started another brand new development called Kelley Pointe. We are a bit isolated out here, it takes 15-20 mins to get to alot of shopping like Walmart, Target, the mall, or Costco. But the brand new Publix and shopping center is only a few mins away and it's wonderful to shop there. We're zoned for PVPV-Rawlings elementary, which everyone we've met is very happy with. (We have 3 kids there now). This is just an amazing place to raise kids. It's a "real" neighborhood, the kids can go out anytime to play and explore, it's safe, beautiful, lots of trails for biking or walking, several playground options, ballfields, the water park (plus we have our own community pool). There are lots of community activities such as the farmer's market, events at the water park (they had an awesome hula show over Labor Day), plenty of opportunities to meet your neighbors and things to do if you want to do them!

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville