U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 04:36 PM

14,635 posts, read 16,479,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwo91 View Post
I appreciate all the responses it is putting my mind at ease. As far as what we are looking for?

House in the 300k-350k range in a subdivision or area with other familes with young kids. My wife loves tennis and running and likes being outdoors walking dog etc.

I would have a home office so would not have to live in the city.

Thanks again
Does your wife want to play organized league tennis? If so - we have a lot of it. But perhaps I can save you some time in terms of telling you about the various places to live where it's best. If your wife is interested in league tennis - what level does she play at (either USTA-wise - or in terms of normal woman's tennis league ratings - A/B/C/D). Singles or doubles or both? Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 PM

37 posts, read 66,804 times
we are facing the same issues relocating from the DC area and Atlanta area with our kids... I had heard Kernan middle was horrible and lots of violence there so we were staying away from that area...everyone says st johns but Ponte Vedra is a fortune other than Nocatee which when we went to look was a ghostland and desolate is VERY accurate. I cannot live there!! We want to be close to the beach (why else move to FL right? lol) in a family area with community pool or activities since we dont know anyone here and as a stay home mom I need to meet some other people to play with lol... any recommendations? If we have to be 20 min + away from the beach at least we want to be in an active community not one that seems to all be dumping their homes in the rental market or short sale or forclosing them as we've seen in some areas of st aug and nocatee. We really love amelia island but have heard there isn't much there for kids and so on. Please advise!

Old 10-20-2010, 05:32 AM

3,530 posts, read 6,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilysse View Post
we are facing the same issues relocating from the DC area and Atlanta area with our kids... I had heard Kernan middle was horrible and lots of violence there so we were staying away from that area...everyone says st johns but Ponte Vedra is a fortune other than Nocatee which when we went to look was a ghostland and desolate is VERY accurate. I cannot live there!! We want to be close to the beach (why else move to FL right? lol) in a family area with community pool or activities since we dont know anyone here and as a stay home mom I need to meet some other people to play with lol... any recommendations? If we have to be 20 min + away from the beach at least we want to be in an active community not one that seems to all be dumping their homes in the rental market or short sale or forclosing them as we've seen in some areas of st aug and nocatee. We really love amelia island but have heard there isn't much there for kids and so on. Please advise!
Kernan Middle School, while in the middle of the suburbs - which I detest, is not "horrible and lots of violence".

It's an A rated middle school.

This thread should help with schools: Duval County Schools

Most schools Duval County are just fine. High Schools are where you run into an issue, there's too many poorly preforming one's (but Magnet & Special Assignment Progams help remedy that)

Old 10-20-2010, 05:43 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,408,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilysse View Post
We moved from the D.C. area (Fairfax County) about five months ago. If Ponte Vedra and Nocatee are too far out, look in the Julington Creek area. There are tons of stay-at-home moms in our neighborhood...I am one of them! There are several pools, one with a waterslide and splashpark. We have golf, tennis, a skate park, an active community center...and most importantly, great schools!

We love the beach as well. Micklers is our favorite. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get out there from my house in Julington Creek.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:56 AM

216 posts, read 389,394 times
north Ponte Vedra Beach has 3 bedroom houses from 250k and I have never regretted moving here since 2001 and my kids went to school. In this economy I would avoid any HOA or any community project under construction because theyr'e going under left and right and you could be left with nothing.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:02 AM

We are coming this weekend and hope to view some homes in the JC area as well. I want to be somewhere easy to meet people and it sounds like a good place for that... just really wanted to be closer to the beach. How often do you find yourself going living that far out? I saw someone in another thread say he'd never bother to go back out like if it started raining and he headed home. Whenever we've gone to the beach our house has only been a few blocks and we go back for lunch then back again... so this would be an adjustment for sure. But I know that life is not a vacation lol So we are trying to find a good balance with schools, meeting people, distance from the beach and size of the house. So many tradeoffs its hard to know what is the right thing to do. If you know of any rentals in JC please let me know! I don't know how to send private messages on this board yet so feel free to advise
I agree with Grayrunner too - I don't want to move to a half done subdiv and live in ghostland which may never be complete in this economy -- and from what I saw in Walden Chase that area is in real trouble. Everyone seems to want out that we talked to. I don't want to live in a transient community because the goal would be rent short term and then buy when we were sure it was the right place (6 months to a year from now) ideally not having to move homes or at least schools or neighborhoods just waiting till the right house came on the market. Thanks for all the help!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 AM

North Ponte Vedra? What neighborhoods am I looking for? Thanks! Flying in this weekend and want to find as much as possible to see!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:36 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,408,701 times
Quote:
How often do you find yourself going living that far out?
We are at the beach almost every weekend. It's an easy drive.

Quote:
So we are trying to find a good balance with schools, meeting people, distance from the beach and size of the house.
I would like to be closer to the beach. And if we knew we were staying in the area forever, we would have likely bought in Nocatee. It's really beautiful. But I wanted to be closer to "stuff". There just isn't much out there yet. And we were concerned about resale in Nocatee. We may have to move in four or five years and we didn't want to try to sell a house with a ton of new construction all around it.

Quote:
So many tradeoffs its hard to know what is the right thing to do. If you know of any rentals in JC please let me know!
We moved down here with a pre-approval letter in hand and the downpayment ready. We assumed we would buy right away. After looking around, we quickly changed our minds. We just felt like there was too much uncertainty in the market. And again, we know we likely won't be here for more than four or five years. I don't think you'll have trouble finding a nice rental in Julington Creek. I wouldn't call it a transient community. But we do have some military. And many couldn't sell their homes when they were transferred. Some have decided to rent their homes. We love the house we are in right now! . The amenities are fantastic! Here's a link to the community: http://www.jcpcdd.org/

There are TONS of kids. My kids had friends literally the day the movers dropped off our stuff. The schools are really good. My youngest is at Julington Creek Elementary. Julington Creek Elementary School - Our high school kids are at Creekside High School Creekside High School - Welcome. I have zero complaints about the schools. And we moved out of one of the best school systems in the country (Fairfax County, VA).

Quote:
If you know of any rentals in JC please let me know!
Look on Craigslist. Use Jacksonville as the city then search for "Julington Creek" under housing. You might have to play with the search terms. But that's how we found this house.

We weren't willing to even consider anything outside of St. John's. There are some good schools in Duval. But there is no way to guarantee that your kids will get in. And with all the budget cuts, who knows how long those magnet schools will remain open. Just not a risk we were willing to take. ALL the schools in our area are great! I know that if the lines were redrawn and my kids had to attend another school in St. John's County, it would still be a great school. That was really important to us.

We've only been here for about four months. But I can tell you that we have zero regrets. We love Julington Creek! It's perfect if you have young children! But...if we find out we are staying forever, we'll probably buy in Nocatee or Ponte Vedra to be closer to the beach.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:32 PM

Thanks thats helpful! I've been looking on craigs list but no luck so far... we'll keep my eyes open! If you hear of anything while you are around your neighborhood please let me know! Thanks so much! BTW is the pool there open year round?

Old 10-20-2010, 07:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 6,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post

We weren't willing to even consider anything outside of St. John's. There are some good schools in Duval. But there is no way to guarantee that your kids will get in.
Correction: Most are good.

And there is a way to guarantee your child gets in to a good school: just move into that neighborhood.

Last year, over 2/3rds were A or B rated (this years ratings aren't finished yet). So take your pick: Duval County Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or