U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:58 PM

14,635 posts, read 17,021,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebee View Post
Are there any specific communities that you would recommend in Ponte Vedra / Nocatee area? I also would like to find out about nice community areas in Clay county...We are looking for a 3 bedroom with a pool. My main focus is a closeby good public elementary school, and grocery store,
etc.

I also heard about Julington Creek but I am not sure about the commute. My husband works in Riverside and we are looking for a reasonable commute not more than 30 minutes.

Thanks so much for your help!
June
What's your price range? Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
Not sure what your budget is, but you might consider Ponte Vedra Beach. I would say most neighborhoods there are a very short drive to stores, but there are definitely some that would be walking distance to Publix, Fresh Market, and maybe the Post Office. Lots of people take golf carts/bikes around too. I drive my daughter to the elementary school in PVB, and there are a ton parents and kids who are walking or riding bikes/scooters to school from their houses, so they can't live too far from the school and the school is right in the middle of PVB.
A lot of those golf carts and similar vehicles are being driven illegally. On my part - I don't care to drive something that's suitable on a golf course on a public road where I might get into a fight with cars (and - in most places - the golf carts and similar aren't ok if they're being driven on pedestrian/bicycle paths either). Robyn

Old 10-11-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebee View Post
Are there any specific communities that you would recommend in Ponte Vedra / Nocatee area? I also would like to find out about nice community areas in Clay county...We are looking for a 3 bedroom with a pool. My main focus is a closeby good public elementary school, and grocery store,
etc.

I also heard about Julington Creek but I am not sure about the commute. My husband works in Riverside and we are looking for a reasonable commute not more than 30 minutes.

Thanks so much for your help!
June
If your husband is working in Riverside - I'd start looking in the Riverside/Avondale area - and work out from there in concentric circles - eliminating the parts of town that don't suit your needs - or that most of us agree are not that swell. It's really easy here to get into a 30+ minute commute (something you said you'd like to avoid). And only you can say what's most important to you in terms of amenities - and what you're willing to compromise on. So buy yourself a map and a compass (on sale at Target this week in school supplies ) - and start plotting . Robyn

Old 10-12-2010, 07:51 AM

4,198 posts, read 12,039,096 times
Not that I'm necessarily recommending Fleming Island, but to give you an idea about travel times ....

From my house in Fleming Island to the Cummer Museum in Riverside is 19 miles, but actual travel time is 30 minutes and up to 40 minutes during the height of morning commuter traffic. Although it's an easy ride, one can't always rely on travel times given by google maps since google has no idea about traffic build-ups at certain times of day where Hwy 17 and I-295 meet as an example.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:27 AM

21 posts, read 18,861 times
Smile PVB - question

Thanks so much to everyone who replied to my post and helped. I appreciate this warm welcome...it's a wonderful support during our stressful rental search and move to Jax.

I am trying to understand my options between renting in the city (Riverside/Avondale?San Marco...or maybe around St Johns Town Center/Tinseltown) vs. PVB (suburbs). Still debating...not sure. I heard about magnet schools in Duval but it's by lottery and there is no guarantee while I hear great things about the public schools in PVB. Therefore, we wanted to expand our search to this area as well (which seems to be the most closest place in St Johns county for a commute from Riverside)

Of course, when I say PVB, it should somewhere close to an elementary school and grocery (maybe 5 minutes drive).

Do you happen to know the names of any gated communities close to elementary schools, and grocery (Publix, etc.)? This would be a great help to focus on the right places.

Thank you very much!
June

Old 10-12-2010, 11:02 AM

4,198 posts, read 12,039,096 times
Yes indeed the folks on the Jax forum are friendly and welcoming. Even though some may disagree with me on this, I tend to believe that the forum members truly are a great representation of this area's people regarding Southern Hospitality.

As for "PVB", if you really do mean Ponte Vedra Beach, that's not exactly the easiest commute to Riverside. It is certainly doable and may be worth it given all that PVB has to offer. On a map the trip looks pretty simple -- JTB (Rt. 202, Butler Blvd.) to I-95. Depending on time of day, traffic along JTB and on I-95 in various places can get snarly.

You can "sample" traffic at different times using traffic cams.
Traffic Cams | Jacksonville, FL | Firstcoastnews.com

Old 10-12-2010, 01:48 PM

I agree that the drive from PVB will take you outside your desired 30 minute commute time. At least at rush hour and most times during the week. When we go to Riverside/Avondale (museum - restaurant - etc.) - we usually go on the weekend. Takes us about 30 minutes with *no* traffic. Also note that there will be some construction work on I-95 between downtown and JTB in coming years. Should make any commute worse. Robyn

Old 10-12-2010, 02:33 PM

3,530 posts, read 6,967,775 times
junebee,

Central Riverside & West Riverside are both Riverside elementary schools and both highly rated, A & B respectively.

Hendricks Elementary & Pine Forrest Elementary & Spring Park Elementary are all in San Marco and all highly rated, A, A, & B respectively.

Not to menion all the various Magnet schools and/or "special assignment" programs (different than Magnet schools, but lets you pick a school ouside your zone).

If your husband wroks in Riverside, and you want walkable/bikeable, vibrant community with good schools, grocery, and pool, it baffles me why someone look outside of Riverside & Avondale, or San Marco.

These are a perfect fit. You couldn't ask for more.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 AM

2,738 posts, read 4,578,780 times
The elementary and middle schools are fine in those areas. Wouldn't worry about it.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:19 AM

229 posts, read 341,858 times
When I first moved to Jacksonville, I lived in St. John's County. I would not considerate a walking neighborhood, except as someone else mentioned to exercise. Most of the communities have small shopping centers nearby that have a grocery store, dry cleaners and etc, but if you need to go to Home Depot, Walmart, movies, mall and etc. it is going to be a drive. That is why I ended up in Mandarin it is close to everything. Still not walkable though. But close drive. US news ranked Mandarin High in the nation for high schools.

America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek

I do property management and have some rentals in Orange Park you might be interested in. They are not in the Fleming Island area though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or