U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:05 PM

237 posts, read 387,579 times

Advertisements

Someone please tell me something I can do to keep these mosquitos away from me! I have bought citronella candles, I have a mosquito zapper and cant find anyone around here that sells Avon for this Skin So Soft bug repellent lotion..anything around the house I can use for my legs, I look like I have chicken pox from my knees down!! UGGHH!!! I love being outside but can't stay out there for long because of them! HEEEELPP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 05:41 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,668,770 times
Dryer sheets

How to Recycle Dryer Sheets - MOSQUITO REPELLENT - Works for People and Pets | eHow.com

Old 10-09-2010, 06:43 PM

84 posts, read 250,919 times
I am the same way! Unfortunately, for people like us we have to be VERY vigilant about putting on DEET before going out (like people putting on sunscreen). DEET is the only chemical that has been the most effective at deterring mosquitos, as well as other biting insects like ticks, fleas, gnats etc. There are plenty of myths around the internet that will give you all kinds of "home remedies" but unfortunately none of these work as you can see. Here is an article to backup my research. :-)

Quote:

Study: DEET Is Best Bug Repellent

By John McKenzie (http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/WorldNewsTonight/mckenzie_john_bio.html - broken link)

July 3

Hungry mosquitoes are in search of a little blood this summer. The question is: How do you keep those bugs from biting?
As part of a study commissioned by the state of Florida and published today in the New England Journal of Medicine, Jonathan Day, professor of medical entomology with the University of Florida's Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, took 16 nationally sold mosquito repellents synthetic chemicals, plant-based products and even some skin softeners used as repellents and put them to the test.
"I think there was a lot of folklore associated with these repellents but [they've] never a head-to-head test like this," Day told ABCNEWS.
Day and his colleagues picked the hungriest mosquitoes they could find. "We chose a mosquito species that is a particularly aggressive biter," said Day.
Each volunteer (most of these human guinea pigs work in the lab) applied a repellent to an exposed arm and then "offered" it up in the name of science.
Results: DEET Works Best
The results? On average, most of the skin softeners provided less than 10 minutes of protection. The plant-based citronella products offered about 20 minutes of protection. Repellents containing the chemical N,-N diethyl-m-toluamide, better known as DEET, were by far the longest lasting.
A 7 percent DEET solution provided almost two hours of protection. A 24 percent solution lasted more than five hours.
Many Americans shy away from DEET because of concerns it may be toxic. But researchers say that since DEET went on the market 45 years ago, it has been studied more thoroughly than any other repellent and is remarkably safe.
"DEET-based products can be safely used by both children and adults and they are the product of choice when you're really looking for lasting protection against insect bites," said Dr. Mark Fradin, an associate professor at the University of North Carolina.
DEET products also protect against mosquitoes, black flies, horse flies, deer flies and ticks.
ABCNEWS' Susan Schwartz produced the television story for World News Tonight.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Internet Ventures

Old 10-09-2010, 06:45 PM

84 posts, read 250,919 times
Also the dryer sheet solution has been debunked as a myth. Here is the link to that: snopes.com: Mosquito Repel Lore

Old 10-11-2010, 08:24 AM

2,738 posts, read 4,601,536 times
St Johns County sprays for them, so we have no problem with them here.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:57 AM

31 posts, read 59,769 times
Dryer sheets - don't work for me
Deet - don't go out without it
little buggers love me and deet is the only stuff i use and will venture out with.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:58 AM

60 posts, read 160,898 times
I don't know if they still do, but at one time the Ace Hardware at Atlantic/Hodges carried the Skin So Soft that is the bath oil kind.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:19 PM

14,635 posts, read 17,150,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
St Johns County sprays for them, so we have no problem with them here.
You have to be joking. Come on over to my house. FWIW - when I'm working outside - I use Cutter backwoods spray (with Deet). Robyn

Old 10-19-2010, 02:44 PM

2,738 posts, read 4,601,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You have to be joking. Come on over to my house. FWIW - when I'm working outside - I use Cutter backwoods spray (with Deet). Robyn
not at all. I've not used a spray in my 13 months here. My daughter loves it because our backyard was horrible with mosquitoes in Charlotte. I get a charge on my tax bill for mosquito treatment ($20 a year). Maybe that is a NW St Johns thing?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 PM

216 posts, read 641,080 times
I have to use something that has deet too, even though it's horrible on painted surfaces. I can get by with some sprays without it, but some still bite, and gnats are my worst enemy.

I can get SSS I'll dm you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville