U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:36 PM

14,635 posts, read 16,775,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
The media has templates ... the template about the Jags concerns blackouts and/or too small a market to support an NFL team ... Jax hasn't had a blackout, but no national outlet talks about that fact ... if Jax has a blackout, it'll be headline news ... several other cities have had blackouts this season, but no one in the media is talking about Tampa/Oakland/Buffalo/San Diego moving to LA
Yes - I was surprised that the San Diego game was blacked out in San Diego. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-n-Jax View Post
Oh I forgot about Scobee and M. Lewis I think they were drafted by Harris.
We're lucky kickers don't get $60 million contracts and that Josh Scobee loves to play golf (he entered the US Open qualifier here earlier this year). Few places he could live where the golf is better.

If you look at the NFL cities Simms mentioned - well what do they not have in common with JAX? They're all northern and/or have majority/large minority AA populations - and/or have majority/large minority working class blue collar "union" populations. It's not politically correct to trash these cities. OTOH - it is PC to trash a "non-union redneck" city like Jacksonville. Especially one that is correctly perceived as having a large Bible Belt religious population.

Now all of us know that JAX has a large AA minority population. And that we're not all rednecks. Not that there's anything wrong with having rednecks. If we didn't have rednecks - we wouldn't have Gander Mountain or boiled peanuts at ball games .

I personally happen to like the diversity in our metro area population (except for the low life criminal element). I go to the symphony - and the rodeo at the Clay County Fair (and lots of stuff in between). Although I'm Jewish - I try to find the AA gospel concerts here around Christmas time. But many people here are our own worst enemies. We diss people who aren't exactly like us. It's time to put a stop to that. Let's diss the narrow minded sports writers who can't enjoy a Super Bowl unless it's in Miami or New Orleans (where their major goals are to party and max out their expense accounts) - not our neighbors. Robyn

P.S. I remember the JAX Super Bowl. Perhaps the easiest way to put a stop to this sports writer nonsense is to make it clear that there is a large AA population in JAX - about a 1/3. And that dissing JAX is as racist as dissing Detroit. And there is no smile here - I'm dead serious. Let them know that we are "out of bounds". FWIW - although I usually really hate it when people play the "race card" stuff - I'm not above it when it comes to that breed known as "sports writers". Hope that anyone here who's AA won't mind my cynical use of their race. They won't if they're Jaguars Fans (I'd love to play the "Jewish Card" but doubt it would work ).

Old 10-15-2010, 09:58 AM

1,717 posts, read 2,187,668 times
Lightbulb Robyn---I'm Not Mad At Ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We're lucky kickers don't get $60 million contracts and that Josh Scobee loves to play golf (he entered the US Open qualifier here earlier this year). Few places he could live where the golf is better.

If you look at the NFL cities Simms mentioned - well what do they not have in common with JAX? They're all northern and/or have majority/large minority AA populations - and/or have majority/large minority working class blue collar "union" populations. It's not politically correct to trash these cities. OTOH - it is PC to trash a "non-union redneck" city like Jacksonville. Especially one that is correctly perceived as having a large Bible Belt religious population.

Now all of us know that JAX has a large AA minority population. And that we're not all rednecks. Not that there's anything wrong with having rednecks. If we didn't have rednecks - we wouldn't have Gander Mountain or boiled peanuts at ball games .

I personally happen to like the diversity in our metro area population (except for the low life criminal element). I go to the symphony - and the rodeo at the Clay County Fair (and lots of stuff in between). Although I'm Jewish - I try to find the AA gospel concerts here around Christmas time. But many people here are our own worst enemies. We diss people who aren't exactly like us. It's time to put a stop to that. Let's diss the narrow minded sports writers who can't enjoy a Super Bowl unless it's in Miami or New Orleans (where their major goals are to party and max out their expense accounts) - not our neighbors. Robyn

P.S. I remember the JAX Super Bowl. Perhaps the easiest way to put a stop to this sports writer nonsense is to make it clear that there is a large AA population in JAX - about a 1/3. And that dissing JAX is as racist as dissing Detroit. And there is no smile here - I'm dead serious. Let them know that we are "out of bounds". FWIW - although I usually really hate it when people play the "race card" stuff - I'm not above it when it comes to that breed known as "sports writers". Hope that anyone here who's AA won't mind my cynical use of their race. They won't if they're Jaguars Fans (I'd love to play the "Jewish Card" but doubt it would work ).
Being black, I hear various and sundry stuff about the race card all the time, so I won't hold it against you if you want to use blacks as an example to make your point here....

And I REALLY wish people would put a big, smelly sock in all these stereotypes...Robyn, I personally wouldn't give a flying frosted rip if you were a (for the sake of argument LOL) 'rednecked Jewish negro-lover'...as long as, at the end of the day, you were a GOOD PERSON AND NEIGHBOR...

A lot of that gets lost in people rushing to slap labels on each other, based on old musty outdated stereotypes and word of mouth... it gets annoying, and I wish people would quit it...and as an addendum, I also really wouldn't care if people tried to slap the 'rednecky' label on Jax, say, prior to me thinking of relocating there...I am perfectly capable of forming my own opinions about a place and it's residents, and if said rednecks made it their business to befriend me and accept me as a good person and neighbor, then bare those red necks and come on by!

Old 10-15-2010, 11:40 AM

2,112 posts, read 5,055,912 times
I think Robyn is right and is just pointing out that the sports media makes it a point to play the race card and/or act PC. It is pathetic that sports writers can't enjoy themselves in other locations aside from Miami or Nola. Some people think the Jax Superbowl was a flop, but I remember it distinctly and I thought it was downright cool (not to mention a little cold). The ships, the river with the laser beams and the firewords shows, and our local amenities (golf, RCBC, beach, neighborhood homes rented out to celebrities/executives) really played out well.

Captaincatfish, I think we all agree with you too. Here in Jax we all pretty much just want to get along, and really our city is quite diverse. Lots of AAs, more Jews than is typical for southern cities, a rapidly growing Hispanic population, lots of Arabs, lots of Croats, lots of Filipinos, and of course rednecks and WASPs. You know up until the 1920s/30s Jacksonville was one of the most progressive cities in the country. We were one of the hubs of the women's suffrage movement and we were really progressive in race relations and religious tolerance. Of course that changed for a time from the late 1940s up to the 1980s, and that 40 year period really made a bad mark on Jax and gave us a bad rep. We have shaken all of that, but clearly not in the eyes of sports media (so therefore we are an unfair and easy target).

Tampa has had worse ticket sales this year than we had last year, but you wouldn't hear about it because Tampa is one of those "holy" Super Bowl and "fun" FL cities (remember, we aren't part of FL, we are part of dirty and backward S GA, LoL).

Old 10-15-2010, 12:12 PM

237 posts, read 382,408 times
Captain and Robyn, I agree 100%.
The SuperBowl event coming to our city was so surreal! It felt great knowing our city was hosting this amazing event! Although I would have loved to stay, being mom came first. I chose to take myself and my kids to DisneyWorld that weekend. Partly because I knew the city would be in full "party" mode all weekend, my then small, children wouldn't be a good choice to enjoy the events with. Just walking through that morning, plenty of people didn't look like they lacked a selection of things to get into. It felt like I was in a whole other city! It was very exciting!
The Jags just have some more work to do. I love my my team, win or lose and I don't believe they will be going anywhere, I just hope the city can become more active in the appeal of the team and the overall importance of more citizens being supportive of their city in general.
For people who don't follow them as closely, they may not know what benefits the team could offer the city. And if you are just basing your contribution on only wins or losses, why would they support a team who doesnt win all the time? If more info was shown on what other outcomes the city gains from these games, they may be more likely to show more interest. Just my thoughts...

Old 10-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Being black, I hear various and sundry stuff about the race card all the time, so I won't hold it against you if you want to use blacks as an example to make your point here....

And I REALLY wish people would put a big, smelly sock in all these stereotypes...Robyn, I personally wouldn't give a flying frosted rip if you were a (for the sake of argument LOL) 'rednecked Jewish negro-lover'...as long as, at the end of the day, you were a GOOD PERSON AND NEIGHBOR...

A lot of that gets lost in people rushing to slap labels on each other, based on old musty outdated stereotypes and word of mouth... it gets annoying, and I wish people would quit it...and as an addendum, I also really wouldn't care if people tried to slap the 'rednecky' label on Jax, say, prior to me thinking of relocating there...I am perfectly capable of forming my own opinions about a place and it's residents, and if said rednecks made it their business to befriend me and accept me as a good person and neighbor, then bare those red necks and come on by!
But we're talking about sports writers - not neighbors - big difference!

To give you the flip side of current PC sports writers - there's the old James Carville observation about college basketball in the south. The schools play 2 AAs at home - 3 on the road - and 4 when they're losing (this is probably a very old observation in light of current college basketball ).

And just FWIW - I'll never forget the 2005 Super Bowl in JAX - because my mom died that night (actually early morning next day). I wasn't here - I was in south Florida where she lived (her death wasn't unexpected).

I had been looking forward to the week's festivities - but some things are a lot more important than others....

Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or