U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 3,986 times

Advertisements

Just replying to bump this thread.

I love the houses in the neighborhood but working from home is not an option for my family if internet is as awful as it sounds. One of the posts, a few up, said there's 3 years left on the contract which would expire in 2015 which for us would be perfect as we're thinking of looking down south early in the year and could suffer until we can get something satisfactory installed.

Does anyone know that once the "contract" expires, is there a free market to your choice of providers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 3,628 times
Picnictables, I attended a board meeting a couple of months ago where they discussed this. The contract ends in November of 2015. I know that no one on the board is a fan of Litestream, so they are actively looking into replacement options. However, their are some "sticky" points in the contract from what I understand, so it may not be a slam dunk to just kick them out in a year.

Also of note, the contract is around the cable TV, not necessarily the internet. There is no restriction from what I understand on your internet provider. For example, DSL is available, or satellite services. The reason there are no other internet options like U-Verse or Verizon FIOS, or Comcast X-Finity Internet services is that they have no financial incentive to install the infrastructure required to provide internet services. If they can only hook a customer for Internet, but not TV (Where the Litestream contract comes in to play), then why spend the millions of dollars to install the lines.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:24 PM

2,648 posts, read 1,961,664 times
That's kind of what we here wondered - if you can just roll with DSL and be good with that. Sounds like you can. If that's the case, I would certainly explore St Johns Forest as it seems like a nice area, just adjacent to our neighborhood.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:33 PM

thanks y'all for following up and so fast! The wife and I are graphic designers so we not only download big files but send them out too and DSL or satellite will not be adequate. Plus, using xfinity with 50 down and 50 up for our service today, to move to one of those services would be painful to say the least.

I wish there was an alternative and I've thought of using an LTE wifi device (wifi card type thing) as that can be faster if in the right area, but I can't just bet everything on that. Plus usage charges for those can get insane. Have any neighbors brought up using something like that possibly in any discussions? I'm just wondering.

I don't mean to be a downer but this is a bummer.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:41 PM

I have an LTE MiFi device, which is useful when Litestream is really bad, but it won't hold a candle to Comcast Xfinity services. I work from home as well, and can tell you this. If the board doesn't figure a way to replace Litestream by the end of the contract next year, I'll be listing my house the day I find out. Litestream service is that bad... For the casual use household I'm sure it's fine. As an IT professional working from home, it's an abomination.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:18 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,511,066 times
Xfinity Triple Play Customers who are on the X1 platform are getting 105 down / 25 up included at no charge

Old 10-24-2014, 12:13 PM

Ahijah,
I know I replied back on the 14th but guess it never went through. Anyways thank you for the info. Its unfortunate to be stuck like that when you (probably) live in a beautiful house in (what seems like) a great neighborhood and something as simple as what I would consider a basic utility being locked down to some contract, and possibly can't get out of it even at the term date.

It's terrible to think Litestream will not upgrade their hardware down the line as well so you're stuck with crappy service. I can guarantee that I will never be a customer of theirs.

Take care.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:14 PM

SaintCabbage, the HOA of SJF is locked in to a contract to only allow Litestream services in their neighborhood. If they could get Xfinity, I'm sure they would.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 579 times
Hi there, I'm moving in to my new home at St Johns Forest , I can't get any cable company to provide me with my service , I work from home sometimes and I need a good internet service, any advise?

Old 01-24-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandybbo View Post
Hi there, I'm moving in to my new home at St Johns Forest , I can't get any cable company to provide me with my service , I work from home sometimes and I need a good internet service, any advise?
Like the rest of us, you are VERY limited. The only cable internet service is Litestream, which has been better since the work they did a few months ago, but still HORRIBLE compared to Comcast in the area. The only other options would be DSL or Satellite, which will likely be even slower :/

Theoretically, the contract with Litestream ends in November, but I've not heard anything on a replacement yet. :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or