U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:51 PM

14,635 posts, read 16,479,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Agreed with everyone there are much bigger fish to fry. The day we don't have bigger fish to fry will be a blessing for everybody.

Also, Robyn, true that there are levels of risk with HIV. You being married, monogamous I presume, etc are at virtually no risk. People my age are at high risk no matter who you are. It seems most people have at least one STD, and certain STDs make it that much easier to catch the HIV virus. Also the statistics with HIV are always skewed. It's so stigmatized that many people keep if completely private and off the books, and many people NEVER get tested and don't realize they have it. Certainly if you're gay and have unprotected sex with 25 random other guys your chances are highly elevated, but the fastest growing segments are white straight people and black women because those two groups don't get tested. There are only estimates of how many people have it, but judging by how many people I know who have it the numbers have to be pretty high (and we are talking rich white kids at my university from good families that went to private school). I probably know more people who have it and don't realize it because they either don't know or they aren't planning on telling anyone. Scary but harsh/sad reality. I mean the numbers aren't 25%, but they are higher than you would think and rapidly increasing. Thank God it's the hardest STD to catch, even without using protection.
I think most average middle class people will likely wind up being tested for HIV/AIDS if they ever apply for a private non-group health insurance policy or life insurance. That's how I wound up getting tested a couple of decades back (for a health insurance policy). Or perhaps if they donate blood. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 05:55 PM

14,635 posts, read 16,479,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Billboards only seem to appeal to a certain demographic, esp around here. It's sorta the equilivant of the bumper sticker on a pickup truck shouting things at me like to "Be American! Stand up for America!!" and whatnot (whatever the hell that even means).

You know, can I just drive down the road without having everyone's opinions thrown in my face??
If the demographic you're talking about is Floridians - you're right . There are billboards all over the state - with varying messages (depending on the target audience in the area - many Miami billboards are different than many JAX billboards). I tend to think of all of them as "road litter" (although when driving long distances on I-95 - they can be the most interesting scenery you'll run across). Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
View detailed profiles of: