Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:53 PM

57 posts, read 536,364 times

Advertisements

OK, maybe it's an old wives' tale, but I'm willing to try it.

Has anyone used lavender to repel scorpions? We've had 3 so far (2 in the last week!). They are coming in through various doors (I open a door and they just run in!), so I was thinking of placing lavender near the doorways to try to keep them away (the worst it could do is just smell good, right?). Especially since exterminators told me exterminating won't kill them.

Not sure if I need bunches of lavender, or sachets of dried buds, or if placing lavender inside near the various doorways will do the trick or if I need to do more. I don't want to hurt my chances if this might work so I want to try to do it right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:02 PM

549 posts, read 2,204,886 times
Since I've never had a problem with scorpions (other than the astrological kind ) can't say that I've ever needed to ward them off...

Old 05-16-2008, 08:47 PM

329 posts, read 1,275,884 times
I have heard that lavender works.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:03 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Default Interesting...

Now you've got me curious, so I broke out some of my herbalist books...

There are 2 kinds of lavender:

True lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)

Spike lavender (Lavandula latifolia)

In the herbal/folk tradition, I do see True lavender listed as being used as an insect repellent. Spike lavender appears it might work as well, but I did not find anything speaking directly to that (so I'd try to obtain True lavender).

If you can obtain good, fresh lavender, then just laying it in the path of the scorpions might do the trick, but it's hard to get good quality fresh herbs unless you grow your own .

You should be able to find Lavender essential oil pretty easily though - try the health food store (I know Native Sun carries some good quality oils). The oil is the repellent part anyway, and it's easier to smear a little oil around rather than have herbs strewn at your doorway...though it would make for interesting conversation when guests arrive at your door .

Rosemary is in the same family as lavender (family: Lamiaceae), and I know Rosemary is well used in gardens to repel insects, so the lavender connection makes some sense .

We might all do well to plant some Rosemary and Lavender at our front doors .

I can't wait to hear how your experiment turns out....you might put all those pest control companies out of business!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:21 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm32206 View Post
Since I've never had a problem with scorpions (other than the astrological kind ) can't say that I've ever needed to ward them off...
Hey! Easy on the Scorpions!

As to lavender, you can try it but something tells me a fresh plant would be preferable to essential oil or dried buds. I know some people say citrus repels them but that isn't true.

If the lavender doesn't work, here's some info that might help. It's from the University of Arizona but I'm sure it applies to Florida scorpions, too.

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/insects/az1223.pdf

Old 05-16-2008, 11:03 PM

301 posts, read 1,546,490 times
Once we get some rain they'll stop coming in.But I would also like to hear how you make out.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:05 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Yes, please let us know how the lavendar works. I've had success with peppermint oil (purchased in the grocery store spices aisle) -- mixed 1:4 with water in a spray bottle. Nothing unwanted has passed through our slider door since the spraying (lizards, frogs, bugs) - can't confirm for certain that the peppermint did it, but at least we're lizard-free these days.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:05 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Yes, please let us know how the lavendar works. I've had success with peppermint oil (purchased in the grocery store spices aisle) -- mixed 1:4 with water in a spray bottle. Nothing unwanted has passed through our slider door since the spraying (lizards, frogs, bugs) - can't confirm for certain that the peppermint did it, but at least we're lizard-free these days.
Are there lots of critters in Jacksonville? Is living with various critters (in one's home or apartment) a fact of life there (roaches, lizards, scorpions, etc)?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:49 AM

57 posts, read 536,364 times
Default Yep, lots of critters!

Although, I'm sure it depends on where you live. I'd guess you'll find different bugs downtown than you would in the marsh...

We relocated here and were naive about the bug situation...that'll teach us to get a house in the marsh! We've seen tons of snakes, lizards, spiders, and scorpions! But thankfully, no roaches here!

As long as the snakes stay outside, I'm ok with them (my husband did sprinkle moth crystals along the perimeter of our yard to keep the snakes away but it's stinky and not necessary, as far as I'm concerned and hopefully he won't do it again). Also not bothered by lizards, frogs, spiders even...

Just gotta keep those scorpions away!

Thanks to all for the insight! We're renting so I don't dare start planting things in the yard, but I did order some lavendar sachets from a farm that brands them as "scorpion shoo away" (boy am I a sucker! but who could pass it up when that's how they are specifically marketing it)...and I'll grab some lavendar oil from Native Sun next time I'm there. Will let you all know how it goes!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:49 PM

147 posts, read 559,158 times
Do we have scorpians in Jacksonville? I've lived here most of my life and never seen one here....the only ones I've ever seen were in AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville