U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:44 AM

766 posts, read 1,523,685 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

i am single and in my early 30s. I have been at my current company for over 5 years. Lately I have been thinking about transferring to the Jacksonville office. One of my other coworkers a couple weeks ago and so far she likes it.

I really just want a change and since my lease is up in January, I think this may be a good time to move. Right now I am just doing research.

It would be just myself and my dog. The vicinity of the job would be Bay Meadows Rd. Hopefully this is helpful. I would like to be near there in a safe, affordable area.

I appreciate any help, opinions, etc.

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 08:07 AM

4,539 posts, read 13,496,653 times
Finding a safe and affordable, and dog friendly, place to live within a decent commute of Baymeadows is a definite.

If it's at all possible, could you come down for a visit to see for yourself? Obviously you can't get to know a place in just a few short days, but you could get a feel for Jacksonville to see if what your former coworker likes is something you'd like, too.

If I was single and 30 and was presented with an opportunity to try something new I would for sure :-)

Old 10-17-2010, 09:22 AM

I am really going to try to get down there hopefully in November for a visit. I am going to try and at least do a long weekend.

I see a lot of nice apartment complexes near my Baymeadows.

Thanks for posting.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:50 AM

705 posts, read 1,397,759 times
What do you call affordable? What city are you currently living in?

That area of town is pretty nice. It's also relatively safe and convenient to I95 (north/south) and JTB (east/west). The singles scene here is not exactly "on fire", (more of a conservative, family oriented town) but if you're looking for a change, it might be worth your while to check out. There are pluses and minuses, like any town.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 7,521,455 times
baymeadows rd is a long road. there are nice parts and other parts to it. if being lcose to other single people in social places is improtant to you then id look at the beaches or near downtown. baymeadows rd is suburbs and not much goes on there.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:35 PM

I currently live in Durham (Raleigh Durham area) and I pay $810 for a 2 bedroom townhouse which here is a pretty good deal. I would prefer something under $800 if possible. I may consider a 1 bedroom under $700.

Here is not a huge singles scene either. I kind of would have preferred an area with more singles. Raleigh/Durham is known for universities, colleges and the business park.

The company is actually on Bay Pine Rd. Baymeadows Road looks like the closest big road. Some complexes I found near by are Paradise Apartments (3.27 miles) and St. Johns Plantation (2.48 miles).

I would love to live near a beach. I have always wanted to live near the beach. I just assumed it would probably be a lot of expensive. Hopefully I am wrong. Here I like going downtown, but I wouldn't want too close to downtown. I would probably have to see Jacksonville downtown to say for sure. A lot of the time there are really nice apartments but the surrounding areas aren't that safe.

Thanks to the both of you for posting and your help.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:44 AM

4,539 posts, read 13,496,653 times
abvavgjoe is correct to say the singles scene is not on fire, but it's not just a few glowing embers. Depending on what you like to do to socialize ....

there are lots of art galleries
Downtown Jacksonville : Off the Grid

plenty of places to eat and drink
Downtown Jacksonville : Eat
Downtown Jacksonville : Happy Hours

And the above are just listings of things to do in downtown. There are a plethora of things to do in Springfield, Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, etc. (all are areas surrounding downtown), as well as at Jacksonville Beach.

Whether you bring your dog with you or not when you come for an initial visit, it's worth going to the dog park in Jax Beach to check it out. It's off Beach Blvd, and not far from the Baymeadows area. There are separate big dog and small dog sections, and in our experience it's been a great place to meet people.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:50 AM

3,530 posts, read 7,521,455 times
Living at the beach doesn't have to be very expernsve, no. There are many apartments for reasonable prices near the beach., though few large apartment complexes.

Also, living near Downtown doesn't have to be unsafe, no. The areas listed in the post above are all popular places to live and play, but also won't have very many large apartment complexes.

In both cases, using a realtor or Craiglist is avantageous.

Stockton Real Estate specializes in the Beaches Florida Real Estate - Stockton Real Estate, while Traditions www.traditionsjax.com specializes in the historic areas around downtown.

For more information on these, here's some good websites:

Jax Beaches: Jacksonville Beach, FL - Official Website
Riverside & Avondale: www.riverside-avondale.com
San Marco: www.smpsjax.org
Springfield: www.myspringfield.org

Old 10-18-2010, 07:55 PM

Thanks for much for the information and websites. I am going to check all this stuff out.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 PM

621 posts, read 1,518,105 times
Good luck! We have a more complicated story.. moved from south florida, to asheville, and back to FL, only settled in Jax this time. We LOVE it. Asheville is vastly different from raleigh durham, so its not really apples to apples, but we love the mix of 'southern hospitality' mixed with the traditional florida lifestyle. Being near the beach was a big thing for me.. anywhere else, I felt landlocked and hated it.

My advice is to come here for a weekend and check it out. It's only a 5-6 hrs drive, and definitely worth seeing before making such a monumental decision. Youre lucky you have the opp to transfer within your company.. you'll save money on state income taxes alone. And Jax Beach is incredibly dog friendly! (Jax by itself is, it's great!) So you shouldnt have any issues finding a place that suits you.. even if you only rent for a year while you get settled, it'll be worth while.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville