U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-28-2010, 06:13 PM

700 posts, read 630,617 times
Default Should I ditch Comcast?

Since we moved here 18 months ago, our Comcast cable, internet and phone service bill has gone from $120 to $161. We have the HD starter bundle, DVR that rents for $9/mo and the modem is $5/mo. We're getting ready to move in a few weeks and I'm contemplating a switch.

Anyone have Dish Network or another provider with a separate internet and phone carrier? Is your bill more or less than mine? What do you get for your $ and how do you like your service overall?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 06:29 PM

1,678 posts, read 1,350,882 times
We are getting ready to investigate our alternatives now that we have to pay for two extra boxes for our cable ready TV's. One good thing about moving, you should be able to get a 12 month introductary special from someone

Old 10-28-2010, 07:57 PM

614 posts, read 772,608 times
I would call Comcast and threaten to switch. They HATE that! They should get you to the retention department and tell them your bill is too high.

FWIW, we have Comcast HD cable, internet, and phone and our bill is about $118 a month.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
FWIW, we have Comcast HD cable, internet, and phone and our bill is about $118 a month.
Ouch.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:50 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,140,384 times
As hlauburn suggests, call Comcast. We did that when our year of "cheap" rates as a new customer expired, and they did extend the discount for another year. But when that ran out, we tried it again to no avail. Our rate for Triple Play was more than $180.

We switched to AT&T for phone and internet, getting new customer rates ($26 for phone, $9 for long distance, $37 for internet). For TV, we now have DirecTV satellite, signing up for a middle-of-the-road package for $35 per month ($64 less new customer discounts) plus $5 for each basic receiver (the primary receiver is free). We took advantage of the free premium movies, but when that ran out we dropped them (I can't recall, but I think a premium movie package, say HBO and Cinemax, was $50+ -- a little too much.)

The AT&T service for phone and internet is just fine. I don't notice any measurable difference in speed between Comcast's broadband and AT&T's DSL.

I have to say that I really like satellite TV. We get more for our money in my opinion than we did with Comcast: great reception on all our TVs including our older non-HD one, more channels to choose from (all the ones Comcast offers plus many others), a very simple menu system, and a very uncomplicated remote control. However, and this may be a big "however" for some people, during certain rain storms the service goes out - if the storm comes from the southwest, the very thick clouds block the signal between our dish and the satellite. During certain storms we can sometimes lose TV intermittently or completely and for less than minute or up to 15 minutes. Should a serious weather condition arise and if we lose contact with meterologists' broadcasts if the TV goes out, we do have a weather radio that will keep us informed. In that scenario we could also watch the local TV video streams on our laptops if need be. So, being out of touch during a storm isn't a major concern.

Even with this caveat, and even after the new customer rates expire, we'll probably stay with DirecTV. I just like it so much better than Comcast.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:52 AM

433 posts, read 739,398 times
I'm not a fan of comcast. Calling them is on my list of things to do. we pay too much for the customer "service" that we get from them. Prior to living here we had time warner cable and gosh I think we were with them for about 10 years......we NEVER had the issues we have with comcast. channels dont' always work on those converter boxes, internet issues etc.

I want to switch.....our new customer rates expired and we're paying around 180ish as well. SO ridiculous.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:43 AM

55 posts, read 99,371 times
I find the combination of Directv for TV and Comcast for Internet works well. Directv is definitely less expensive than Comcast, and I would say is more responsive to customer concerns. Great HD picture. To answer most any complaint, they will offer free access for several months to some movie channels, etc.

For the infrequent outages, Comcast internet essentially includes basic cable, so you have that as a backup. Directv's latest feature, multi-room viewing, is excellent, and they have exclusive rights to NFL Sunday ticket, if you want pro football, although that is pricey (but negotiable).

Old 10-29-2010, 07:08 PM

Hmm, looks like Directv is a definite option. Guess I need to sit down and crunch the numbers. Thanks for all the responses.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:19 PM

10,741 posts, read 6,850,805 times
Don't know where anyone lives. But - with a dish type setup - you may not be able to cut down trees (or cut them down without paying a bunch in fines) to get a clear sightline with a dish. Something to check out. Robyn

Old 10-31-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound9p View Post
I find the combination of Directv for TV and Comcast for Internet works well. Directv is definitely less expensive than Comcast,
That sounds good. If you don't mind me asking, how much is your bill for Directv and Comcast individually?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville