Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 03:57 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Im not sure Jax needs the London connection to feel internationally connected. There are other cities Jax can create a relationship with like Cairo or Berlin or San Pablo
Cairo and Berlin aren't easy to get to - even today - out of most major hubs on many carriers - because they're not major business or tourist destinations. I seem to recall that we went JAX to Berlin through Newark on Continental in 2007. And to Cairo from Miami quite a few years ago through Munich on Lufthansa. If San Pablo = Sao Paulo - never been there. But I suspect there are decent connections out of Miami.

When I travel a long distance (usually out of the country) - my goal is to get there with one stop. And that's frequently as easy to do out of JAX as it is in all but the very largest cities in the US. And if - for example - you lived on Long Island - an hour east of Manhattan - then I reckon if you tried to take an international Continental flight out of Newark - it would probably be just about as easy - maybe easier - to leave from JAX (it's certainly easier to park your car at JAX ). Anyway - about the only non-stop flight I miss here - that I think we might have one day again - is to LAX (would also like one to the Pacific Northwest but I can't see that one in my crystal ball). Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 07:29 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
You dont seem to want an international flight out of JAX?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
I think Robyn is just being realistic. Someone mentioned a couple of oddball cities that they wanted direct flights to, but it was hard to tell if it was tongue in cheek. Jacksonville's first nonstop European flight will be to either London, Paris, or Frankfurt. Then it will be a long while before we get another. Nowadays you really have to be a hub or mini-hub to get those international flights. I think Tampa has only 1 or 2 European flights and its metro is almost 3 million people and its airport serves about 20 million people (it's not a hub, though).

Old 11-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
You dont seem to want an international flight out of JAX?
Of course I'd want it - just like I want an 8% 5 year CD. Am not holding my breath though. Apart from not being a hub airport - another problem that JAX has is no capability to handle international passengers (in terms of immigration and customs). Don't know how much it would cost to build those - but I doubt a few flights here and there would pay for them. Sanford Airport has a couple of discount international airlines/charters - and a fair amount of debt. Wonder how it's doing? Robyn

Old 11-29-2010, 11:53 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Of course I'd want it - just like I want an 8% 5 year CD. Am not holding my breath though. Apart from not being a hub airport - another problem that JAX has is no capability to handle international passengers (in terms of immigration and customs). Don't know how much it would cost to build those - but I doubt a few flights here and there would pay for them. Sanford Airport has a couple of discount international airlines/charters - and a fair amount of debt. Wonder how it's doing? Robyn
There is a US Customs and Immigration Facility, which is why JIA is one of 116 (airport) designated ports of entry in the country. http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/editorial_0685.shtm (broken link)
It's just not used very much for obvious reasons...

My parents happened to mention at dinner that they read the airport was beginning construction of a new facility (which makes sense with Puerto Rico coming online next Spring) but I could not find it anywhere online. They also said that a month or two ago there was a poll in the Times-Union asking which European city readers would most like to see direct service to.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Im not sure Jax needs the London connection to feel internationally connected. There are other cities Jax can create a relationship with like Cairo or Berlin or San Pablo
Bring 'em on. I don't see them happening any time soon, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I think Robyn is just being realistic. Someone mentioned a couple of oddball cities that they wanted direct flights to, but it was hard to tell if it was tongue in cheek. Jacksonville's first nonstop European flight will be to either London, Paris, or Frankfurt. Then it will be a long while before we get another. Nowadays you really have to be a hub or mini-hub to get those international flights. I think Tampa has only 1 or 2 European flights and its metro is almost 3 million people and its airport serves about 20 million people (it's not a hub, though).
Yes.I guess Jax isn't even a mini-hub.

It's funny how someone with an agenda can make things happen, though. (http://iflybeaches.com/news/detail/st._joe_company_invested_in_success_of_new_airport - broken link)
This brand spanking new airport (Panama City area) was just a twinkle in St Joe Company's eye a few years ago, but they made it happen (not without a bit of fuss beforehand--there was already an existing airport. I guess they will tear that one down.
Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport

Old 11-30-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
There is a US Customs and Immigration Facility, which is why JIA is one of 116 (airport) designated ports of entry in the country. DHS | US-VISIT: Current Ports of Entry (http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/editorial_0685.shtm - broken link)
It's just not used very much for obvious reasons...

My parents happened to mention at dinner that they read the airport was beginning construction of a new facility (which makes sense with Puerto Rico coming online next Spring) but I could not find it anywhere online. They also said that a month or two ago there was a poll in the Times-Union asking which European city readers would most like to see direct service to.
Didn't know about the Customs and Immigration Facility. Of course - in addition to the physical facility - you need the people to man it. The Puerto Rico thing will be 1 flight each way daily. Not enough to justify the building of any new facilities IMO. Robyn

Old 11-30-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

It's funny how someone with an agenda can make things happen, though. (http://iflybeaches.com/news/detail/st._joe_company_invested_in_success_of_new_airport - broken link)
This brand spanking new airport (Panama City area) was just a twinkle in St Joe Company's eye a few years ago, but they made it happen (not without a bit of fuss beforehand--there was already an existing airport. I guess they will tear that one down.
St. Joe had a vision of development in that area. Don't think it is playing out as anticipated. The company's stock is down from 70 to 17 in the last 5 years (I've heard some short sellers explain why they're shorting the stock). Wonder how the airport is doing/will do?

Airport authorities usually issue debt to build stuff (airlines often chip in on the debt too). They need to get cash flow out of their improvements to make payments on that debt. And the plans have to make sense - at least on paper - to entice people to buy the bonds. I don't know whether JAX could make a compelling case for the kind of expansion you're talking about. Robyn

Old 11-30-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

Perhaps I'm wrong - but I think you're talking about one airport. There's a competing airport in Pensacola. Robyn

Old 11-30-2010, 03:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
St. Joe had a vision of development in that area. Don't think it is playing out as anticipated. The company's stock is down from 70 to 17 in the last 5 years (I've heard some short sellers explain why they're shorting the stock). Wonder how the airport is doing/will do?

Airport authorities usually issue debt to build stuff (airlines often chip in on the debt too). They need to get cash flow out of their improvements to make payments on that debt. And the plans have to make sense - at least on paper - to entice people to buy the bonds. I don't know whether JAX could make a compelling case for the kind of expansion you're talking about. Robyn
St Joe built some beautiful homes but their real estate sector grew too big too fast.
I certainly don't think that Jax could (or should) follow their example.
I merely find it interesting to see how loud money (300 million)can talk.
I am not sure how the airport will do, but St Joe pushed ahead with it despite opposition.
Quote:
Perhaps I'm wrong - but I think you're talking about one airport. There's a competing airport in Pensacola. Robyn
Not talking about Pensacola. That airport was a bit of a drive for us, maybe not so bad for people further east. There is yet another small airport in Ft Walton/Destin. VPS
The airport I am talking about was right in Panama City; I flew in and out of several times. Here it is: PFN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville