Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:09 PM

17 posts, read 72,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
you know I have to ask
What is a garbage plate ?
karla
Nick Tahoes
"They have several types of Garbage Plates:

Chessburger
Hot Dog
Delmonico Steak
Italian Sausage
Even an Egg plate!
Plus many more!

Each plate you can choose 2 of these: Macaroni Salad, Beans, Home Fries, and French Fries

They also cover the plate with special meat hot sauce with a little mustard and onions(I like it without onions). Oh yeah you get 3 peices of bread with it too.

Looks like a plate of garbage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 03:15 PM

17 posts, read 72,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman135 View Post
That is true, you won't yet find a garbage plate anywhere in Jax, but would be a great business venture for someone I bet! My wife being from Buffalo misses Mighty Taco and Ted's Hot Dogs also, but we didn't have those in Rochester, so don't know what I'm missing.
What about chicken wings ? Why can't anyone make them like there supposed to ? I've had wings all across the country and there not the same as BUFFALO / WNY. very simple to make

Old 07-18-2007, 03:23 PM

125 posts, read 578,740 times
Default Frank & Dudeman

No kidding!! Frank and Dudeman from Buffalo/Rochester. Me too!!! I am currently in Portland, Oregon, moved from Rochester to Albuquerque NM almost three years ago (only thing I loved was the sunshine) and have been here about a year. The west coast is great, Portland is cool...but miss the east coast. Friends and family. Particularly the warm ocean (the Pacific is FREEZING, all year round). I am a BEACH LOVER, and would LOVE to hear your input on comparisons between Tampa and Jax. Not looking to move soon......but.......

Old 07-18-2007, 04:11 PM

44 posts, read 160,833 times
Can't speak about Tampa too much, since we decided on Jax instead, but I can tell you we really enjoy visiting there for short vacations. The reason we didn't choose Tampa was subjective. It didn't have as homey of a feel, people didn't seem AS nice as we experienced visiting Jax, seemed like more traffic and housing cost in some of the larger newer communities was more at the time and would have been a bit more of a commute. Also in our opinion it was more prone to hurricanes than Jax.

But we really like the Tampa/St Pete Beach area and also have also stayed in downtown St Pete during the xmas holiday season and have always had a good time. The downtown area by the Cruise Ship port in Tampa is also nice, the aquarium is there as well as the cruise ships and an entertainment area. Nice to be able to visit Tampa/Orlando and other areas and still be able to come home to the beaches here. Makes coming home a whole lot easier than going back to snow, etc.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:59 PM

20 posts, read 84,777 times
They did a feature on the Food Channel a couple years back on Garbage plates. Years ago, when my daughter was like maybe 6 or 7. He question about garbage plates was, doesn't the food all touch? I said touch?? Hell they just put it on top of each other!

I do like Ted's, whenever we go to Buffalo we always stop there, and sometimes find excuses to go to Buffalo just to get one. We also like Andersons there too, and Frudruckers since Rochester doesn't have one of those either. That's the trouble whenever we go to Buffalo, too much to eat in one day.

In Rochester the place I'd miss would be Nick Tahoe's, well actually the one on Lyell is no longer called that. The two owners split up and that one is now called Stevie T's actually. Would miss that, but even more would miss the Dinosaur! Anything down there as good? I'd think there should be since down south?? I always say the value you get from the Dinosaur can't be beat as for what you pay, you can still taste it 24 hours later. And I mean that in a good sense.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:24 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Garbage Plates? I am definitely from a different part of NY......I never heard of these........

Old 07-18-2007, 05:32 PM

20 posts, read 84,777 times
Think of the worse thing you could eat heath wise, then multiply it by 5 and you have a garbage plate. everything is either cooked in grease or has mayo on it. But if you're really starving and have limited $$ to spend, for the money, they fill you up more than most things would.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:35 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Upstate View Post
Think of the worse thing you could eat heath wise, then multiply it by 5 and you have a garbage plate. everything is either cooked in grease or has mayo on it. But if you're really starving and have limited $$ to spend, for the money, they fill you up more than most things would.
Keeps the heart surgeons in business, huh ?

Old 07-18-2007, 06:56 PM

44 posts, read 160,833 times
Heads up that a Fudruckers has been under construction at the Landing downtown. Not sure how far along or if it's still in progress, but thought you might want to know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Upstate View Post
They did a feature on the Food Channel a couple years back on Garbage plates. Years ago, when my daughter was like maybe 6 or 7. He question about garbage plates was, doesn't the food all touch? I said touch?? Hell they just put it on top of each other!

I do like Ted's, whenever we go to Buffalo we always stop there, and sometimes find excuses to go to Buffalo just to get one. We also like Andersons there too, and Frudruckers since Rochester doesn't have one of those either. That's the trouble whenever we go to Buffalo, too much to eat in one day.

In Rochester the place I'd miss would be Nick Tahoe's, well actually the one on Lyell is no longer called that. The two owners split up and that one is now called Stevie T's actually. Would miss that, but even more would miss the Dinosaur! Anything down there as good? I'd think there should be since down south?? I always say the value you get from the Dinosaur can't be beat as for what you pay, you can still taste it 24 hours later. And I mean that in a good sense.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:14 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman135 View Post
Heads up that a Fudruckers has been under construction at the Landing downtown. Not sure how far along or if it's still in progress, but thought you might want to know that.
I wonder if that is what is going in where "Mr D's" use to be? Right inside when you first go in?
Mr D's btw was one place you could actually get a decent cheesesteak(he's from the jersey shore" Then he sold it and the new owners couldn't leave good enough alone and started adding all sorts of spices and stuff.
Sigh a cheesesteak is simple, cheese steak roll ok onions for some of you folks who have to have it as they say at Pats Steak in philly "wit"

Thanks for explaining the garbarge plate

karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville