Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:24 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
My father loves going to the Jacksonville Farmer's Market but sometimes the selection there is pretty limited - maybe because of the season.

I saw that there are several Flea Markets in the area. Are there Flea Markets that have a good selection of fruit and vegetables (better than the Farmer's Market)? Or is there another farmer's market with more selection/booths?
I like, and you've probably seen me post this a bunch of times , the Beach Blvd Flea Market for veggies. The selection here is definitely better than the Farmer's Market up on Beaver Street.

It's free to get in, and it's a regular flea market, but towards the center, you'll find a large group of vendors. They're sort of together, but it's worth walking around the entire flea market first to get a good look because it's not highly organized (it's not that big - you can walk the whole thing in 15 minutes or so).

You'll find a lot of specialty asian vegetables, hispanic vegetables, gourmet vegetables, fresh fish, fruit trees, even orchids sometimes.

It's located on Beach Blvd, just west of the Saint John's Bluff intersection (the flea market is a few minutes north of the Saint Johns Town Center):

Beach Boulevard Flea Market

Just down the road on Beach, on the other side, before Southside Blvd, look for a brand new strip mall with the big orange dinosaur in front of the strip mall. There is a new place going in here called Porter Brothers that is supposed to have farm fresh fruits and veggies. Their address is 10150 Beach Blvd. They're open M-Sat 10am -7pm and Sun 12-6pm. I have not checked them out yet, but I pulled a coupon from one of those coupon magazines. It says "Grand Opening" so they must be open by now.

Here's a link to some other farmer's markets:

Florida Community Farmers' Markets: Marketing Florida Agriculture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 05:50 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I like, and you've probably seen me post this a bunch of times , the Beach Blvd Flea Market for veggies. The selection here is definitely better than the Farmer's Market up on Beaver Street.

It's free to get in, and it's a regular flea market, but towards the center, you'll find a large group of vendors. They're sort of together, but it's worth walking around the entire flea market first to get a good look because it's not highly organized (it's not that big - you can walk the whole thing in 15 minutes or so).

You'll find a lot of specialty asian vegetables, hispanic vegetables, gourmet vegetables, fresh fish, fruit trees, even orchids sometimes.

It's located on Beach Blvd, just west of the Saint John's Bluff intersection (the flea market is a few minutes north of the Saint Johns Town Center):

Beach Boulevard Flea Market

Just down the road on Beach, on the other side, before Southside Blvd, look for a brand new strip mall with the big orange dinosaur in front of the strip mall. There is a new place going in here called Porter Brothers that is supposed to have farm fresh fruits and veggies. Their address is 10150 Beach Blvd. They're open M-Sat 10am -7pm and Sun 12-6pm. I have not checked them out yet, but I pulled a coupon from one of those coupon magazines. It says "Grand Opening" so they must be open by now.

Here's a link to some other farmer's markets:

Florida Community Farmers' Markets: Marketing Florida Agriculture

Thanks, Riveree,

You are ALWAYS there to save the day!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:56 AM

65 posts, read 256,749 times
I haven't been to the farmer's market in a couple years. Looks like I'll have to go.

I go to the flea market almost every weekend simply because I can get veggies so cheap. I have two guinea pigs so getting bell peppers and other munchies for them would get expensive if I had to buy them at the grocery store!

I can usually find bell peppers 3/$1 and other fruits and veggies at the Asian section super cheap - my roommate and I got two tomatoes, a bunch of broccoli, and bananas for two dollars or less.

There is another vendor who sells mainly fruits that I really like - sometimes they have locally (or semi-local) grown stuff and it's always really tasty. I bought some Asian pears from them last time and they were delicious. They're always pretty cheap too, they usually try and sell a 3 baskets for $5 deal (a basket being a pint or two? - for smaller fruits like cherries, grapes and berries) or larger baskets for a few more dollars for larger fruit. They're always really nice and usually have or will let you sample something before you buy.

Porter Brothers was really disappointing. I went in the weekend of August 16th and the selection was slim and most of it wasn't local. I ended up buying garlic....from China. I won't be going back in there again.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 AM

859 posts, read 3,617,457 times
current exotic fruit they have at the beach flea market are sugar apple, dragon fruit, and lychee. And at the front there's a stand that sells fresh green coconut, they chop it and drink out of it with straw, too bad it's not chilled.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toops View Post

Porter Brothers was really disappointing. I went in the weekend of August 16th and the selection was slim and most of it wasn't local. I ended up buying garlic....from China. I won't be going back in there again.

Good to know . I'll peek in there next time I'm heading to the Beach Blvd flea market, but I'm not going to make a special trip. It's possible they're just getting started and their selection might change .

Old 09-09-2008, 04:59 PM

112 posts, read 524,191 times
Has anyone gone to the one in Saint Augustine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: