Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 04:44 AM

4,793 posts, read 5,960,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I think some of the wrong words are being used on this thread, bring out the credit nazis. Wealths & affluence should be replaced with style & excitement, flair, sex appeal, etc etc...why are people credit scores being brought up? Your dept
is your debt, mine is mine. (saying in general not to luvingme2) Why all the bad credit talk? Its like a way of saying "yea he drives a nice car, but he owes Wells Fargo Millions, so we are the same" These types of comments I just roll my eyes at. Why bring up a negative to explain a positive?
I think this economic downturn has really opened peoples eyes as to what is real wealth. Old school wealth was real and liquid. This past decade has allowed americans to really live the lifestyle of the rich and famous through the use of credit and theres nothing wrong with that if thats what makes you happy. Through the use of credit so many people spent as much as they made and it really showed in the way they appeared to family and friends. The sudden rise in electricity, food, gas and loss of jobs to many has devastated those who were living so close to the edge. I have quite a few friends who were living like this and really had the toys to show, unfortunately they had no float in their income and now with the loss of one income or mounting bills they are freaking out. They still appear rich though.

Bottom line, if your comfortable on how you attain your assets, then that's all that matters. You can live pretty high on the edge for quite a while with steady income coming in.

My two cents, I would rather have the assets of people like Ted turner, Steve Wynn, Warren Buffet and Wayne Weaver, and not the assets of Mark Brunell, Nicholas Cage and Wesley Snipes.

On a side note: We just recently spent a little time in Greenwich, Ct. Very nice truly affluent and wealthy town. The Aston Martin and Bentley dearlership were positioned right in the middle of their quaint downtown, of course so were the Porsche, BMW and Mercedes dealers. Picture downtown Fernandina and you get the idea. Beautiful older homes (small estates) throughout the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 04:58 AM

4,793 posts, read 5,960,388 times
Interesting numbers:

Highest income zip codes in FLORIDA

Old 12-13-2010, 06:01 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
I reckon those numbers might be a little misleading - because AGI on a tax return doesn't include muni bond interest - or deferred income in retirement plans. Nevertheless - I've spent about the last 40 years in 3 of those zip codes - 33149 - 33133 - and 32082.

FWIW - the #1 is Fisher Island in Miami. I'm not surprised that it's #1 - but I'm surprised that it has its own zip code (because not a whole lot of people live there). Robyn

Old 12-13-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I think this economic downturn has really opened peoples eyes as to what is real wealth. Old school wealth was real and liquid. This past decade has allowed americans to really live the lifestyle of the rich and famous through the use of credit and theres nothing wrong with that if thats what makes you happy...
I disagree. If your neighbor was only able to live his lifestyle because he was in hock up to his eyeballs - and now can't afford to pay his mortgage - or his property taxes - or maintain his property - or even buy food or medical care without getting food stamps or Medicaid - we're all paying for that one way or another. Robyn

Old 12-13-2010, 06:36 PM

705 posts, read 1,566,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Ok thats really cool! But is that the car with a Trident as there emblem? If so I saw my first one here in Atlanta in 2009. I think it was a Maserati....Atlanta is also the first place Ive seen a Bentley & an Aston Martin in person (magazines & car shows dont count!) Very sleek vehicles. Ive seen a Tank on Normandy BLvd though, never seen a Tank in Atlanta yet.
Yes, Maserati's logo is a trident. Here's the car I saw:
Attached Thumbnails
Is Jacksonville really this affluent now?-maserati-20granturismo-202008-2001.jpg  

Old 12-13-2010, 06:38 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,088,623 times
Yea those numbers are misleading, at least for Jacksonville area zip codes. If you look at combined income for Jacksonville's top earners, they all come from 3 zip codes. One of the zip codes is on the list: 32082. It should be number one for Jacksonville, but it isn't, which tells you something there. It's a large zip with over 25,000 people and is upper middle to upper class throughout (it has long been considered a top 20 zip over 25,000 people in the country, at least in housing prices if not income). The other two zip codes did not make the list because they happen to include more "ghetto" than nice areas and are oddly shaped and very large zips. They'll never make a "wealthy list" even though Jacksonville's wealthiest people live in them.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:52 PM

622 posts, read 1,658,160 times
Eh.. we have nice cars.. (09 Yukon Denali and 07 Silverado Max) but nothing that stands out in the neighborhood. Our cars fit in with the neighborhood more so than we do. We look like scruffy kids who moved in with their parents, except our parents arent here and they dont pay any of our bills.

And fwiw, our cars are the only thing we have financed.. everything else is paid for. Weee... We buy nice things because we want them. shrug.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:06 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
Drive around in any community and look at the cars, businesses, houses and people you see. You'll get a pretty good idea regarding the economic level of the residents. Really, any of the 4 should tell you a lot.
I agree with this. Especially businesses & people. Also landscaping is a easy visual of nice areas vs ghettos & slums. Cars? not so much, but seeing a nice ride is cool. I have never been the type to see a nice car (exoctic) and think "well that person aint rich he/she has a bad credit score bla bla bla" I dont understand that train of thought. If I see it, I say cool...and proceed to go with my life. I smh at some of the comments on this topic.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:21 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Yea those numbers are misleading, at least for Jacksonville area zip codes. If you look at combined income for Jacksonville's top earners, they all come from 3 zip codes. One of the zip codes is on the list: 32082. It should be number one for Jacksonville, but it isn't, which tells you something there. It's a large zip with over 25,000 people and is upper middle to upper class throughout (it has long been considered a top 20 zip over 25,000 people in the country, at least in housing prices if not income). The other two zip codes did not make the list because they happen to include more "ghetto" than nice areas and are oddly shaped and very large zips. They'll never make a "wealthy list" even though Jacksonville's wealthiest people live in them.
What/where are these three zips?

Old 12-14-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Well 32082 is where I live - Ponte Vedra Beach - and it isn't in Jacksonville (or any city - because we're not a city - just an unincorporated part of St. Johns County). And I know we have a lot less money here than in the most affluent parts of the state (which may or may not have their own zip codes). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville