Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:32 AM

725 posts, read 2,571,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
P.S.. UM losing to USF .
I was wearing green and gold during the game. Now USF just needs to beat UF (we had a great first half, fell apart second half) for all the doubters. We already roughed up FSU in their own stadium. (fun..lol)
Side note; the picture of Jason Pierre-Paul on the front page of this mornings insert, the one of him taking down Garrard, he's from USF. I was happy for him doing a good job but sad he was taking down a Jaguar. ouch.
The mention of my beloved Bulls made me go off topic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 06:37 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesFan81 View Post
I moved down here from Miami about a year ago and I am taken back by how many Range Rovers, Mercedes S550s and BMW 7 Series I see roaming the streets here every day. I mean its as if these cars are as common as Honda Civics here(Just like Miami). When did this type of culture hit Jacksonville? When I visited 10 years ago it was full of pickup trucks. I know Jacksonville is a developing city, but have incomes increased that much as to where I'm seeing luxury cars, Starbucks, and upscale neighborhood developments in abundance everyday? If so, looks like I need to change occupations! What do you guys think about this?
JAX has jobs! Of all the 'big' cities of Florida, I like JAX the best. It's full of young people with purpose!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:15 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesFan81 View Post
Who the hell asked you about how long you lived in Miami? This thread is directed towards Jacksonville residents. From your profile it seems you live in Ponte Vedra. Yes, it is close, but IT ISN'T JACKSONVILLE! So my "point of this thread" really wouldn't apply to you to begin with. Have a nice evening!
Last I checked PVB was apart of Jax Metro....when did this change?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:24 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
JAX has jobs! Of all the 'big' cities of Florida, I like JAX the best. It's full of young people with purpose!
Thats pretty strong

Old 11-29-2010, 08:37 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
+1
+2

Old 11-29-2010, 08:54 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
I'm a FL native and have been all over Jax. Sure there are some nicer areas, but my point is that Jax is - and will always be- a blue collar type of town. All the wealthy retirees tend to head further south. Jax also has a lot of southern charm and culture, so things like pick-up trucks are still far more common than BMW's.

BTW, expensive cars dont impress me either. You can go to S FL and see ppl with expensive cars while their houses are up for foreclosure and they are moving in with their parents. You see far less of that "culture" in Jax.

Quote:
With a population of 1+ million in the metro area (which is very big in terms of square miles) - it's very hard to generalize. What parts of town were you in - what parking lots?

There's certainly money in parts of the metro area here other than PVB. And there's money - and then there's money. Old money. New money. Older peoples' money - younger peoples' money. And you don't have to be rich to buy an entry level luxury car. Moreover - the decision to buy a BMW as opposed to a pickup truck that costs the same amount is frequently a statement of life-style preference - not how much money you have in your pocket. Sometimes when we go to the county fairs around here - those pick-up trucks are pulling horse trailers that contain some mighty expensive horses.

Money manifests itself in many different ways - and you can't say that people don't have money just because they're not doing "urban". There are cowboy boots that cost more than Christian Louboutin shoes.. Robyn

Old 11-30-2010, 06:20 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with owning a Mercedes, Jag, Lexus or BMW! Later wife and I will be looking at buying a nice Sebring Convertible.........and as stated before, we sure aren't rich, but do like (ok, love) nice things!

I know this for a FACT! Being involved with pro-rodeo for a number of years and seeing expensive "dully" trucks pulling expensive horse trailers that are hauling pretty expensive horses.

Quote:
With a population of 1+ million in the metro area (which is very big in terms of square miles) - it's very hard to generalize. What parts of town were you in - what parking lots?

There's certainly money in parts of the metro area here other than PVB. And there's money - and then there's money. Old money. New money. Older peoples' money - younger peoples' money. And you don't have to be rich to buy an entry level luxury car. Moreover - the decision to buy a BMW as opposed to a pickup truck that costs the same amount is frequently a statement of life-style preference - not how much money you have in your pocket. Sometimes when we go to the county fairs around here - those pick-up trucks are pulling horse trailers that contain some mighty expensive horses.
Money manifests itself in many different ways - and you can't say that people don't have money just because they're not doing "urban". There are cowboy boots that cost more than Christian Louboutin shoes.. Robyn

Old 11-30-2010, 07:57 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
^^^Of course there is nothing wrong with owning a BWM, Mercedes, etc.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:08 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Just came through Jax yesterday. Looked like the same Jax to me. Perhaps you were in PVB where the wealthy retirees roam? Jax is still- and probably always will be- a blue collar town. Some have BMW's and such, but I dont see that outnumbering pick-up trucks anytime soon, lol.
There's a Lexus of Orange Park - which is kind of far away from PVB. Don't know how it's doing - but I think it's still there.

There are people in town here who have money other than retired people. Business people (both old business money and newer business money) - sports people - professionals (lawyers/doctors/etc.) - money management types - some world class deadbeats seeking refuge in our generous homestead exemption - etc.). I'm not talking billionaires - but people who can afford to buy a luxury car without a car loan. They tend to be concentrated in a few neighborhoods in the metro area (and those neighborhoods aren't very close to one another - one reason dining and shopping are kind of problematic here). FWIW - my husband and I owned pick-up trucks for over 20 years when we were younger (they're useful second vehicles if you like things like gardening). Never judge a man by the car he drives . OTOH - we never had and never will have enough money to afford a private jet . Robyn

Old 11-30-2010, 04:23 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I have no idea how I missed this, as I do watch ESPN and local news (not religiously though). Anyway, a quick google search has caught me up.

Now you've piqued my curiosity about who else you may know in the area, haha. Not that I have a complex and need celebrities to move here to validate this city...just plain curiosity.
Lots of famous golfers (Jim Furyk - VJ Singh - etc.). Some tennis players with names you'd recognize. Current and retired Jaguars. Bowie Kuhn lived here before he died. Although not metro JAX - John Travolta lives a little north of Ocala. Some financial types (like the retired head of this from that famous Wall Street firm - names probably wouldn't ring bells for you). FWIW - best way to learn everyone who's here who has a name you've heard before is get on some charitable mailing lists. Seems like every class A-D celeb in town has a charitable foundation that he/she wants you to help out with. Gets more than tedious after a while . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville