Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 01:20 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoneian View Post
Listen carefully, no one is trying to trash talk Jacksonville, It is hard for you to
talk bad about the city because you are a resident there and are comfortable
having lived there for some time already perhaps most of your life but you
must understand the point of view that people may have with first impression
We look at reviews to get an idea what people are like with what they have to say
about it and their experience mainly because people want to visit, live there, or
maybe just business/ job related. So when we read or hear about Jacksonville then
see a completely difrent side of it , what would you expect? Your residents or city
views failed to what was said about them..we would just be disapointed and mad.
Now.. if you want to be specific with a certain county or even street that says a lot about
you already.. because don't you think most of us are smart enough to give a detailed
negative review of a city like that? Get real ... Lmao @ WW3 ... should be your new nick.

As far as my opinion I just want to know a little bit about the city before I apply for a
job there that's all..I'm looking for honesty because even if your honest and say bad
things about your city I could find a way to live around that because it wouldn't be much
of an inconvenience imo.. however it would be an inconvenience to see something much
worse when I do end up working there in my case.. but so far I would not be applying here.
not sure what this is about, but this thread is pretty honest for a various points of views. People should not be attacked for disliking Jacksonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 03:19 PM

55 posts, read 180,169 times
This is certainly an interesting topic because the caucus recently ended. Much debate ensued over foreclosures and homes underwater in their mortgages. I'm curious, what are Florida homeowners doing to make sure this isn't happening to them and how the politicians accurately described your state?

Old 02-13-2012, 03:39 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseshunter View Post
This is certainly an interesting topic because the caucus recently ended. Much debate ensued over foreclosures and homes underwater in their mortgages. I'm curious, what are Florida homeowners doing to make sure this isn't happening to them and how the politicians accurately described your state?
I'm continuing to pay my mortgage

Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
not sure what this is about, but this thread is pretty honest for a various points of views. People should not be attacked for disliking Jacksonville.
I agree. There is nothing wrong with honest criticism. We should welcome it as long as it is based on facts. It is when a person is consistently critical from thread to thread about the city and contributes nothing to the dialog then it is obvious that the person has an agenda. Being constantly critical is just as bad as being constantly in praise of Jacksonville. Btw I like the posts from FlyMetro, they almost always have some balance.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:56 PM

52 posts, read 85,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
It's a half half mixture of hate and defense/praise. I added some thoughts and some pictures because some people were saying compared to Tampa and Orlando the downtown sucked, etc, and how backwards Jax is. Well they obviously haven't been to Bay St right downtown unlike Channelside or Ybor (and Church St Station is done). They obviously haven't been to SJTC. They obviously haven't been to Riverside, San Marco, Springfield, or Avondale. Some of the people think Jax is some poor trashy city. They obviously haven't been to PVB or Ortega or Atlantic Beach for that matter. Some people think there isn't a future. Well obviously they don't know about our mayoral race, our ever expanding airport, our rapidly expanding port, our growing healthcare industry, our rebounding finance and insurance sectors, our growing highway system, John Mica helping us establish streetcars and commuter rail, etc. TPC, Beaches, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, downtown, etc. We have more here than people can wrap their minds around. Our zoo is off the chain, the Cummer is good, and we have natural beauty and 3 seasons (a record for FL). Our history is also very cool, up there with Miami, Atlanta, and several other key cities.
Jacksonville has none of the above listed. There are no streetcars or commuter rail, there is no growing highway system, St. Augustine is on the rise while Jacksonville is "staying put", the zoo is terrible, downtown is terrible, job market is horrendous, PVB is just a bunch of rich snobs, there is nothing at Bay St., Springfield historic homes are being demolished left and right, the beaches are not bad, there is not much history here, in fact city leaders cover up the history that matters. Jax is NOT up there with Atlanta or Miami. Jax is just a bunch of backwoods, uncivilized rednecks!

Old 03-03-2012, 01:57 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradlehead23 View Post
Jacksonville has none of the above listed. There are no streetcars or commuter rail, there is no growing highway system, St. Augustine is on the rise while Jacksonville is "staying put", the zoo is terrible, downtown is terrible, job market is horrendous, PVB is just a bunch of rich snobs, there is nothing at Bay St., Springfield historic homes are being demolished left and right, the beaches are not bad, there is not much history here, in fact city leaders cover up the history that matters. Jax is NOT up there with Atlanta or Miami. Jax is just a bunch of backwoods, uncivilized rednecks!
way to give constructive criticism. Is Jax perfect no way, but we have a lot to work with. Sit and complain about how horrible it is does nothing. If you hate it here so much why not try and make it better. You can find uncivilized rednecks and snobs any where you go. But being an uncivilized backwoods redneck i dont know much of nothin'

Old 03-03-2012, 06:42 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Ditto - I have just booked a trip to Europe - not easy to get from here to there. Erin Burnett was probably going from here to Atlanta - perhaps the New York metro area. OTOH - JAX is a pleasant airport in terms of getting in/getting out (Thanksgiving at JAX looks like an average day at LGA).. Robyn
whatever this means...according to the head of the JAA, JIA doesn't see much of a bump during Thanksgiving holidays.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
way to give constructive criticism. Is Jax perfect no way, but we have a lot to work with. Sit and complain about how horrible it is does nothing. If you hate it here so much why not try and make it better. You can find uncivilized rednecks and snobs any where you go. But being an uncivilized backwoods redneck i dont know much of nothin'
Sorry to say I don't think much can be done. You have a city council that won't listen to those who want to make a difference. Those that want nothing done with the city are the majority. They're also the ones who believe Jacksonville is this "big major city", when all it is is just a mega small town. Cities are supposed to be hustling. Is that Jacksonville? No. "Oh, but we're the biggest city in America, landwise." Nobody cares. Cities are not in competition for being the biggest in landwise. They think it is on the map. They think there are things to do. Where's the entertainment? What's on Bat Street, like the first post read? On that note, have you done anything to try and change it? What is there? Prove me wrong. Please. Challenge me. I promise to be friendly and respectful.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:30 AM

*Bay St. I meant. Sorry, typo.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:42 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradlehead23 View Post
There is something called honest criticism and then there is ranting. You started to make sense with the bit about streetcars and commuter rail, etc. which I agree with you on and then you go off on the city like a person who had too much to drink. God forbid that Jacksonville becomes another Atlanta or Miami and you should bite your tongue with that last remark about backwoods and uncivilized rednecks. Now sober up! lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville