U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 06:07 PM

10,833 posts, read 8,279,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Hi there...

But that's exactly my point...a black person of color, coming from North Dakota, will have had very minimul contact or submergance in regions or cities with large black or ethnic populations...so initially it would be as foreign to them as it would a 'white' person coming from N-Dakota as well...

The only difference is it would be assumed initially, due to color, that the black person from ND was at ease, around their new enviornment...even though they may feel just as out of place as the white friend they brought with them...

But now the white person from ND could also feel just as uneasy around other Southern whites, as the black person does around southern blacks...

We tend to look at color, initially, to gauge whether or not someone will feel at home or at ease...but with most it's about style and taste...and or what one is use too...
The only time I ever met a lot of people from North Dakota was when my husband had some medical care at Mayo in Rochester Minnesota. Lots of people from North Dakota there - you betcha . I think it's so cold and so dark in the winter with so little sun there a lot of the year that even the black people are white . I suspect more people in the US have reported seeing aliens from outer space than meeting people from North Dakota .

Anyway - don't mean to make fun of you. Just North Dakota. Whereabouts are you in Florida (reckon I could look up all your messages and figure it out - but you can perhaps save me some time <please>).

And I don't get a whole lot involved in issues of social interaction. My husband and I are both white and from the northeast (40 years ago). Well educated. I'm Jewish - and he is Christian - was brought up Episcopal. Neither of us is religious. We have lived in Florida for about 40 years now - and don't really fit into any convenient cultural niche. Not in south Florida. Not here.

What we've found for the most part over the years is most people (not all) pretty much stick to their own. Along religious - racial - sexual orientation age - etc. - lines. And we are neither here nor there - not fish - not fowl (except when people are trying to raise money - EVERYONE asks us for money). We do have some friends - mostly people our age - empty nesters - non-religious white Christians. But too few considering that we are pretty open to all kinds of people (and not totally boring IMO - unlike many older people - we don't spend dinner giving "organ recitals").

Anyway - like I said before. Looks like it will be a beautiful night New Year's Eve. And if anyone here would like to meet us for a drink downtown after the parade - we can explore these issues in depth - or just have a toast to the New Year . Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 06:56 PM

310 posts, read 531,082 times
As soon as our kids finish school (college) we're urging them to leave the state, not just the Jax area. There really are few opportunities here for young professionals and we don't see that changing anytime soon. That's not just our opinion, but that of our entire extended family of professionals (engineers, attorneys, medical doctors, CPA's and uni profs). We would have left already except a job opportunity came up during the past year.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:04 PM

2,907 posts, read 3,717,181 times
Not true, depending on where in Florida there's a mountain of opportunities for professionals. Just have to seek them out.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:15 PM

2,113 posts, read 3,229,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
As soon as our kids finish school (college) we're urging them to leave the state, not just the Jax area. There really are few opportunities here for young professionals and we don't see that changing anytime soon. That's not just our opinion, but that of our entire extended family of professionals (engineers, attorneys, medical doctors, CPA's and uni profs). We would have left already except a job opportunity came up during the past year.
In this economy I think your kids will be *wherever* they are able to find a job, whether it's Jacksonville or Fargo. Aside from preventing your kids from "living with mom and dad" after college, you should probably step aside and let them figure it all out on their own. Sorry to butt in, but as a recent grad (not living at home obviously) I never appreciated my parents trying to give me advice or butt in my life about anything unless I asked. I figured being 22 years old gave me enough experience to realize what I should be doing and where I should be going/looking.

Also, some cities are better off overall than others, but it depends on the industry. Real estate and finance are down all over the country and in many areas of the world, Jacksonville or otherwise.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 PM

3,360 posts, read 3,482,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The only time I ever met a lot of people from North Dakota was when my husband had some medical care at Mayo in Rochester Minnesota. Lots of people from North Dakota there - you betcha . I think it's so cold and so dark in the winter with so little sun there a lot of the year that even the black people are white . I suspect more people in the US have reported seeing aliens from outer space than meeting people from North Dakota .

Anyway - don't mean to make fun of you. Just North Dakota. Whereabouts are you in Florida (reckon I could look up all your messages and figure it out - but you can perhaps save me some time <please>).

And I don't get a whole lot involved in issues of social interaction. My husband and I are both white and from the northeast (40 years ago). Well educated. I'm Jewish - and he is Christian - was brought up Episcopal. Neither of us is religious. We have lived in Florida for about 40 years now - and don't really fit into any convenient cultural niche. Not in south Florida. Not here.

What we've found for the most part over the years is most people (not all) pretty much stick to their own. Along religious - racial - sexual orientation age - etc. - lines. And we are neither here nor there - not fish - not fowl (except when people are trying to raise money - EVERYONE asks us for money). We do have some friends - mostly people our age - empty nesters - non-religious white Christians. But too few considering that we are pretty open to all kinds of people (and not totally boring IMO - unlike many older people - we don't spend dinner giving "organ recitals").

Anyway - like I said before. Looks like it will be a beautiful night New Year's Eve. And if anyone here would like to meet us for a drink downtown after the parade - we can explore these issues in depth - or just have a toast to the New Year . Robyn
You mean you only have non-religious white Christian friends, as opposed to Purple ones??

I can't believe you don't have any purple Christian friends or blue ones?
Shame on you...you need to broaden...

Just messen....

Anyways...I currently stay in the NE part of Florida...and if I don't leave soon, this place will become my tomb...

Actually Florida, even Jacksonville, FL...are very beautiful nice places to live or visit...as long as you don't zoom in to close...

And as far as ushering in the new year...I'm not ready for this year to end yet, Heck, I still want 2008 back....I just wish time would slow down...

Old 12-28-2010, 10:18 PM

2,474 posts, read 2,560,956 times
Robyn, just curious what you mean by "organ recitals" (in quotations...) And why is that boring? I'm sure you and your husband are a hoot

Old 12-29-2010, 09:28 AM

505 posts, read 622,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

So y'all must be rich. Jewish AND Episcopalian. I went to a small Lutheran church supported college in NJ for 2 years. (sadly it closed in the mid 1990s) I had some PT job in the fund raising office for the school for a bit. I remember my boss said we need to get work on getting the Jews and Episcopalians to donate since they were the ones with money. I was raised Episcopalian and i guess i still am officially but our family didn't have endless supplies of money

(I hope you know I am having some fun here. dont take it the wrong way)

Old 12-29-2010, 10:01 AM

5,848 posts, read 6,148,473 times
Not being rude, but arent Jewish folks known for not spending money? So if they save a lot of it, they're probably not giving it to charity. Not trying to offend. Just from what I've heard and gathered. I have someone in my family that is Jewish - they are family by marriage - and they're pretty generous when it comes to charity, etc.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:51 AM

274 posts, read 307,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
In this economy I think your kids will be *wherever* they are able to find a job, whether it's Jacksonville or Fargo. Aside from preventing your kids from "living with mom and dad" after college, you should probably step aside and let them figure it all out on their own. Sorry to butt in, but as a recent grad (not living at home obviously) I never appreciated my parents trying to give me advice or butt in my life about anything unless I asked. I figured being 22 years old gave me enough experience to realize what I should be doing and where I should be going/looking.
LOL

At 22 I thought the exact same thing. "Dad, keep running your mouth," I'd think, and I'd roll my eyes and let him keep going. I'd been out of the house since I was 18 -- I didn't need him telling me how to do anything. I knew what I was doing and where I needed to be.

Now at age 31 I find myself listening more to him than I ever did while I was in college. But hey - everybody needs to experience that for themselves.

Just food for thought. Sorry to derail the thread.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:58 AM

3,360 posts, read 3,482,699 times
Default More info on Jacksonville...

Well, we've kinda wondered off into Jewish culture...so to keep it relivant to this thread about Jacksonville, FL...here's some information about the wonderful Jewish population of the city...

First...Miami and South Florida is home to one of the largest Orthadox Jewish populations outside of Isreal...(I had no idea)

Now back to Jacksonville, FL...

Did you know Jacksonville has the youngest average population of all of Florida? With the medium age being 35...
Jacksonville is a young city...you go girl...(what?)

And did you know Jacksonville has the 3rd largest population of all cities on the East Coast!!
1.New York
2.Philly
3.Jacksonville!!()

Only you can't tell when driving around because the city is so so spread out...infact Jacksonville boasts the largest city, in terms of square area, of any in America...at 873 sq miles...

The perminant Jewish population of Jacksonville, FL is around 15,000 or so...And many live in or around the Manderin area...where there are two Synagogues...

The Manderin area has undergone the largest economic growth of any other community in Jacksonville...
Where the average 3-4 bedroom house goes for $300,000
And the apartments can be had for $650-$900 average...

Anyways...now ya know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville