Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 18,453 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Jacksonville and my office is located downtown. I would like to live close to the office is possible, but obviously I don't want to live downtown if it is not safe. I am looking to rent a one bedroom apartment, but I have no idea where young people live. Could anyone help me out? How far is the beach from the downtown area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 03:55 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
First, I think a lot of people would agree downtown Jax is safe. You might not want to live there for other reasons, but safety shouldn't really be a concern.

It all depends on your taste, but as a start I'd suggest looking into Riverside, San Marco, Southside (near Tinseltown and St Johns Town Center), downtown and the Beaches. Unfortunately, the beaches are pretty far from downtown so you'd have to really prefer living there over closer areas.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:37 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
riverside, springfield, san marco, and avondale are where alot of young people live around downtown and here are some webiste o help you out - www.riverside-avondale.com , www.myspringfield.org, www.mysanmarco.com AND www.traditionsjax.com is a realtor co. that works in these places.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:51 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb88 View Post
Where do young people out of college live?
Usually at home with their parents forever nowadays just kidding (wish my son didn't think I was kidding ) Riverside or San Marco or The beaches seem to be the most popular places in Jax for young profesionals

Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 PM

38 posts, read 115,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Usually at home with their parents forever nowadays just kidding (wish my son didn't think I was kidding ) Riverside or San Marco or The beaches seem to be the most popular places in Jax for young profesionals
LOL! That was very funny!

Old 01-11-2011, 02:53 PM

250 posts, read 706,432 times
personally, if i had to choose from scratch on where to live in jax i would live in Riverside, Dowtown (on or near Bay Street) and close to St. Johns Towncenter. None of those places are close to the beach though. you will have to make a choice on whether you want to live close to the beach or close to work. i should point out (because i feel that no one else will) there will be one spot where there are a bunch of young professionals just visibly hanging out in the area. it's not like some cities where there are strips or certain locations that cater to up and coming singles. however, there is alot going on in St. Johns Towncenter (which is really just a mall) that is looking positive but not there yet and bay street (which is just a few clubs and such trying to make it). overall, you will be forced to choose a certain location at a certain time and day for your social scene. so no matter where you live prepare to commute and do a little research to cater to your interests. on the positive side you should be able to find something and someone/group to satisfy your interests. as i said in another thread. Folio Weekly will be your friend. (no i don't work for folio weekly )

Old 01-11-2011, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 14,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb88 View Post
I may be moving to Jacksonville and my office is located downtown. I would like to live close to the office is possible, but obviously I don't want to live downtown if it is not safe. I am looking to rent a one bedroom apartment, but I have no idea where young people live. Could anyone help me out? How far is the beach from the downtown area?
Depends on where you're moving from. Is 15 miles far from the beach? It really all depends on what your interests are. If you an artistic-minded person, then try Riverside, which would be close to downtown. There are a lot of little eclectic shops, beautiful old homes, and many trees. If you are hanging on to your youth by a thread, move to Jax Beach, this is where the college kids hang out. If you consider yourself to be a young professional and convenience is important, move near the St. Johns Towncenter. There is literallly everything you need in that mall. Either way, you're right off Butler Blvd which connects with I-95.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:50 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexman View Post
Depends on where you're moving from. Is 15 miles far from the beach? It really all depends on what your interests are. If you an artistic-minded person, then try Riverside, which would be close to downtown. There are a lot of little eclectic shops, beautiful old homes, and many trees. If you are hanging on to your youth by a thread, move to Jax Beach, this is where the college kids hang out. If you consider yourself to be a young professional and convenience is important, move near the St. Johns Towncenter. There is literallly everything you need in that mall. Either way, you're right off Butler Blvd which connects with I-95.
Very poorly, but yes, I suppose it does connect. Ugh, sorry...I had to deal with it today. Took me about 20 minutes (wasn't the worst I've seen) to get that last half-a-mile onto 95.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:11 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Downtown Jax is relatively safe the beaches are about 15 miles east of there and San Marco or Riverside would probably be your best bet about 3 miles away each
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: