Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:26 PM

581 posts, read 920,281 times

Advertisements

We have been to Atlantic Beach/Jacksonville for extended stays and find the humidity challenging at first but we're fine in 7-10 days. We do dress accordingly and don't rush out to any work during the heat of the day. We are lucky enough to be 4 blocks from the ocean which is somewhat more comfortable than inland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 05:32 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbi View Post
if your gay, don't even think abt moving to Jax. disgustingly homophobic here. backwards and beautiful is how I describe it. play tennis, run, golf, fish,....gee, u can do that anywhere. next city, please.
Oh please. I know a fair number of gay people here. Can't say they're my best friends - because they aren't (not too many gay 30 year olds invite 60+ year old women to their parties). But this is definitely not a homophobic place - at least not where I live. Although some gay people will have to get used to the idea that a lot of gays here are conservative Log Cabin Republicans. Robyn

Old 12-27-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Believe me, there's a big difference between 20 degrees and 60 degrees!
Yup - and tonight the low here will be in the 20's (OTOH - looks like it will be close to 70 New Year's Eve ). I moved here from Miami 15 years ago and still hate the really cold winter weather I find here from time to time. OTOH - the humidity - especially in the summer - is great. Don't need to buy a lot of stuff to make my skin feel nice. FWIW- I'm running 2 big humidifiers in the house now. If I don't - I feel like my skin is 2 sizes too small - and it's rough and itches too. Robyn

Old 12-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I think some people can adjust but in your case, based on what you posted probably not, but you will never know unless you try it. You can always travel to get some of the stuff you like.

I like Jacksoville a lot but I'm not even sure if I can adjust to a southern city with older population, religious culture and colder weather. I love their natural beaches. Definitively one of the best places in Florida.
Jacksonville actually has more normal age demographics than most places in south Florida - more younger than older - not a lot of old condo coots who come down here for the winter. One reason we skipped everything between here and Miami before moving here.

Religion I find about equal. There are many extremely religious people in Miami. But if you're not part of those religious communities - chances are they're not on your radar screen.

The big bummer for me (coming from Miami) is the colder weather in the winter. Robyn

Old 12-27-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Questions View Post
Riverside and Springfield are not homophobic in the least that is for sure.
And what place here is? For the most part - people here don't care who your partner/spouse is or the kind of club you party at Friday night as long as you don't make a lot of noise at 2 am and keep your property looking nice. My husband is the chair of the rules enforcement committee where we live - and a huge majority of cases deal with people not taking care of their lawns (and the people who complain about landscape neglect don't give a hoot about the race/color/religion/sexual preferences of the people who don't take care of their lawns). Except in the most red-necky parts here (and they have places like that in south Florida too) - most people would like a Martha Stewart perfect gay couple living next to them - not the people Jeff Foxworthy jokes about. Robyn

Old 12-27-2010, 09:06 PM

705 posts, read 1,574,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
How many cities would compare to LA for nightlife? Not too many in the US.. Maybe NYC or in this part of the country Miami. Being the center for entertainment for the world lends itself to plenty of nightclubs etc where you can see the fabulous people.
The OP IS FROM LA. Hence the comparison.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
I've learned a lot here and thanked those who have provided some great information. I'll be leaving southern California for Atlantic Beach in 18 months. I've lived here 50 years and won't miss anything but the mountains.
How do you know that? Sometimes you don't appreciate something until it's gone.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I also miss the beauty of CA, FL has some nice beaches but is a flat as pancake.
Me too. CA has such a variety of terrain, beaches, mountains and desert.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
We have been to Atlantic Beach/Jacksonville for extended stays and find the humidity challenging at first but we're fine in 7-10 days. We do dress accordingly and don't rush out to any work during the heat of the day. We are lucky enough to be 4 blocks from the ocean which is somewhat more comfortable than inland.

Sorry, I find that a little hard to swallow. I grew up on Long Island so I know humid summers, but they're mild compared to down here. You will get a heat wave but it breaks after a few days.

After living in Southern CA for 20 yrs I got used to dry heat and cooler nights in the summer.

Just the fact that you mention the "heat of day" shows you're not used to it, and why would you be....LOL. You can't go from an arid climate to a humid one and adjust in a week.

I have spent more time indoors in FL than any of the other four states I have lived in. It is the only state I have found myself avoiding running errands at certain times of the day for a good part of the year.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
The OP IS FROM LA. Hence the comparison.
I know the OP is from LA the name of the thread is a big clue. Not many places in the world would compare to Los Angeles for nightlife etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville