U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:10 PM

33 posts, read 122,928 times
Default Best way to fill an empty pool hole in the backyard?

My mother recently had her pool removed from her back yard, but now there's a big gaping hole in the ground.

So far I've learned that it could cost a couple thousand dollars to have someone come fill the hole up. At this point, we don't even know companies that do that.

Can anyone recommend someone to do this service for us, or is it possible to do it yourself? I'm curious about any solution you guys might be able to provide.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 03:26 PM

214 posts, read 306,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomEvent View Post
My mother recently had her pool removed from her back yard, but now there's a big gaping hole in the ground.

Can anyone recommend someone to do this service for us, or is it possible to do it yourself? I'm curious about any solution you guys might be able to provide.

Thanks.
Home Depot sells bags of sand, but filling a hole this way might be time consuming. Just call some company that sells sand, or rock.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:48 PM

4,201 posts, read 4,405,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanSand View Post
Home Depot sells bags of sand, but filling a hole this way might be time consuming. Just call some company that sells sand, or rock.
and expensive... look for someone selling fill dirt

Old 01-15-2011, 04:18 PM

3,884 posts, read 3,129,938 times
Actually, if the situation is right, you may be able to get it filled for free. Assuming that a dump truck could back up to the hole, try calling around to a few excavation companies and see if they need somewhere to get rid of a few truck loads. You would still have to level it off, but if you can get the dirt for free then hiring someone with a bobcat would be fairly reasonable.

Not sure how common it is in Florida, but in Missouri it was fairly commonplace to do this, as it saved the dump truck companies a) a long ride to unload; or b) a dump fee.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:33 PM

We were thinking of doing it slowly over time. Does anyone know who sells dirt?

It's impossible to back a dump truck into their back yard.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:19 PM

5,209 posts, read 2,826,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Actually, if the situation is right, you may be able to get it filled for free. Assuming that a dump truck could back up to the hole, try calling around to a few excavation companies and see if they need somewhere to get rid of a few truck loads. You would still have to level it off, but if you can get the dirt for free then hiring someone with a bobcat would be fairly reasonable.

Not sure how common it is in Florida, but in Missouri it was fairly commonplace to do this, as it saved the dump truck companies a) a long ride to unload; or b) a dump fee.
Getting the dirt is easy once you find who is digging. Where is there major construction? Youll have to pay the truckers to haul it, but once its in your yard its yours.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:22 PM

5,212 posts, read 2,212,524 times
I know! I know! Since the hole is already there, why not put in a swimming pool?

Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,086,331 times
We were thinking of doing it slowly over time.

I would not do this as it would create "an attractive nuisance" that might endanger kids in the neighborhood.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:08 PM

663 posts, read 1,128,355 times
I had a house taken out of my lot, next to the one I owned, and the City told me that I had to have it 'filled' or be fined...

Lucky for me, they were doing a job, about 8 blocks from my house, and taking the 'fill' to a landfill to be deposited. I asked the boss man if he wanted to get rid of some of the dirt 'quick', and he asked me where, so, he and I took a ride to my place and he said ok, and started directing trucks down, and dumping them in my yard...(I had hired a back hoe operator to move the dirt, but, the guy offered to move it for me, and I told him I had it covered...sheesh, could of saved myself 350 bucks!).

There is always someone wanting to get rid of 'fill'.. concrete, dirt...
Dont take wood or garbage, as this will rot and your ground will sink.

If you have water line breaks, ask the guy in charge if he will dump the bricks, ashpault and debris into your hole, then, when its almost filled up, you can go and pay someone to dump some top soil into the hole to finish it... plant grass and enjoy the back yard

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 01-16-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
We were thinking of doing it slowly over time.

I would not do this as it would create "an attractive nuisance" that might endanger kids in the neighborhood.

My mother's back yard is completely fenced all around 6ft high.

In any event, The real problem I foresee by getting someone to sell us dirt is that they won't be able to just dump it in the backyard. There's simply a an opening on the side of the house big enough for people.

That's why purchasing dirt overtime seemed more attractive to me.

Does anyone know of companies who do this kind of service? I've read online that companies do take care of this kind of thing, but have no idea what category those companies are in, or how to search for local ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville