Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,565 times

Advertisements

Okay in early October i found a place in jax. The landlord had an ad up that was incorrectly matched with another listing he had. When i reponded to it he told me i could see the place supposed to be advertised but there was another tenant there. I saw the placed liked it. I waited a month for that tenant to move out and he was still there so i told my landlord i had to do something or find another place. he put me in another location of his nearby. He had me sign the lease in that house starting nov 9th and then requested an additional month on the lease becuase he didnt want to rent out the place in dec which i agreed too. I asked about alternative options after lease expired he stated month-to-month wasnt an option and we could discuss that at a later date. I had Minimal contact with the man through the whole lease he had to fix the pipe on the bathroom sink once becuase it broke. I sent a letter with Dec rent stating that I was unsure of my intentions I wasnt sure i could keep the place, I asked about additional alternatives to signing another lease and provided all my contact information. HE NEVER GOT BACK TO ME. I decided that meant i was to move out on expected lease end date and moved out on the 15th because i had a long planned trip back to NH to spend a week with family. when i got back on the 29th of Dec I attempted to contact him. then agian on the 30th and 31st leaving messages every time. Jan 1st I called him from a friends phone number (which he answered) and told him who i was and that i wanted him to meet me to turn over the keys he told me that was foolish it was a holiday he wasnt meeting and that i was to lock the keys inside the house. He also stated that was disappointed I didnt give him any time and that he was charging me for 1/2 a months rent for Jan. I told him that was unacceptable I gave him notice he didnt respond to the letter not my fault how am i supposed to assume the contract continues. He stated it converts to M2M i reminded him that he had stated that wasnt an option. (I also did this in the letter I sent) So I locked the keys inside and made a video of the place and the conditon explained the situation in the video documented me locking the keys inside etc. He sends me a certified letter on the 14th which i didnt get due to the weekend and MLK day pick it up and its a letter stating charges for damages and 1/2 a month rent missing turning a 500 sec dep into 120 which is ridiculous i left that place immaculate there was no reason for any of that and i have video of it I havent done anything yet but the rental agreement states i have thirty days to decline and dispute. Please help me if you can the economy has been rough on me. I have no unemployment and no job im living with a kind friend until i find a job agian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 12:57 PM

754 posts, read 2,814,332 times
Contact Ken Amaro at First Coast News:

I'm Telling Ken | Firstcoastnews.com | Contact Us

Old 01-20-2011, 02:46 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Three Rivers Legal Services specializes in that kind of stuff (ie, improper evictions, landlord issues).

Here you go: Three Rivers Legal Services

Old 01-23-2011, 07:03 AM

237 posts, read 496,581 times
I am a Landlord and the Florida law is specific about both the Landlord and Tenants responsibility. I suggest you read it. At the end of the lease you or the landlord need to give 30 days notice you not continuing with the lease. Some leases require 60 days notice. You need to read your lease. Usually the lease will state after the lease term is up it converts automatically to month to month, but most landlords do not want that so they will want you to sign another 1 year lease. The bottom line is did you provide the landlord with the required notice stating you are leaving after the lease term as state by Fl Law. If you did then he cannot hold the security deposit for rent, but he can hold the security deposit for any damages to the property. The law also requires the landlord to send you notice he is holding the security deposit and you can respond to that notice. Read the law and follow it. If the landlord does not follow the law then sue in small claims court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: