Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
our tax money is supposed to go towards those things that an HOA says they will provide. (law enforcement, public parks, etc.) Why pay more for an HOA? Thats my 2 cents.
But that's exactly the point. Suggesting that an HOA is unamerican is illogical. You may not place value on the services. And that's ok. You don't have to live in a community with an HOA. But there are plenty of folks....myself included....who wouldn't even consider living in a neighborhood without one.

Now...If we lived out in the country like many of my family members in Mississippi do, it wouldn't be an issue. But if I'm going to live in a community where my neighbor's actions (or lack thereof) affect my quality of life and property value, I want the security of an HOA. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 12:05 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
But that's exactly the point. Suggesting that an HOA is unamerican is illogical. You may not place value on the services. And that's ok. You don't have to live in a community with an HOA. But there are plenty of folks....myself included....who wouldn't even consider living in a neighborhood without one.

Now...If we lived out in the country like many of my family members in Mississippi do, it wouldn't be an issue. But if I'm going to live in a community where my neighbor's actions (or lack thereof) affect my quality of life and property value, I want the security of an HOA. Just my opinion.
thats fine. We'll have to agree to disagree on HOA's

Old 01-22-2011, 04:21 PM

310 posts, read 868,961 times
I feel the same way about HOA's--we chose one which isn't as restrictive as some others around us, but at least it keeps the lawns looking nice and common areas neat and trim. BTW, to live or not live in any HOA is definitely a CHOICE--if you can't find a place without an HOA you are lazy and not looking hard enough. Nobody is putting a gun to your head to move into an HOA neighborhood.

I believe if you want nice things you should pay for them, and I like getting exactly what I paid for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post

Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
I feel the same way about HOA's--we chose one which isn't as restrictive as some others around us, but at least it keeps the lawns looking nice and common areas neat and trim. BTW, to live or not live in any HOA is definitely a CHOICE--if you can't find a place without an HOA you are lazy and not looking hard enough. Nobody is putting a gun to your head to move into an HOA neighborhood.

I believe if you want nice things you should pay for them, and I like getting exactly what I paid for.
Do you know where your tax money is going? Do you even care? It sounds like your paying extra... or, someone else (crooked politicians, illegal immigrants) is pocketing your tax money.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:14 PM

Yes, I do. We care quite a bit as we work hard for our money to make it stretch. What evidence do you have that my politicians are pocketing my tax money? It seems to me that your attitude is that you should not have to pay taxes at all. If that is the case you probably would be happier in a country like Somalia, a capitalist's wet dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Do you know where your tax money is going? Do you even care? It sounds like your paying extra... or, someone else (crooked politicians, illegal immigrants) is pocketing your tax money.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 PM

And this has what to do with HOA's in the state of Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbil View Post
There is always fraud and crocked politicians, but most of the tax money is going to state and federal middle class entitlement programs, which is why many states are of the verge of bankruptcy and the federal government is massively in debt. To get re-elected politician just gave whatever the state unions wanted. So they offered fantasy retirement plans. You have state and federal workers retiring in the 50's receiving $100K per year in pensions. They still have the old defined benefit plans that offered 80% of the highest pay. So workers work lots of overtime in their last few years. Not all workers are gettting paid this much, but many are and they are living to be 80 year old or older. Many are on the government dole for more years they worked. But nobody wants to touch the entitlements, because once someone has a free lunch they do not want it to go.

Medicare is also on the verge of bankruptcy and no politicians want to discuss it. After all do you pay for the 80 year heart transplant. I read the last year of life is 30% of the medical cost. Medical cost are through the roof and no politician wants to touch the issue.

Other big federal government spending goes to pay for the military and the interest on the debt.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do. We care quite a bit as we work hard for our money to make it stretch. What evidence do you have that my politicians are pocketing my tax money? It seems to me that your attitude is that you should not have to pay taxes at all. If that is the case you probably would be happier in a country like Somalia, a capitalist's wet dream.
You missed my point. Sure, I don't like paying taxes. BUT... I want my taxes to go to good use. Why should anyone pay an additional HOA fee on top of taxes? If you are a tax paying citizen then you should demand that your tax money be used locally. HOA neighborhoods are great for state/local politicians because they can re-route that tax money elsewhere. Maybe Florida is relying on homeowners to pick up the slack? I think that towns with HOA's should cut their police down. Let the HOA board members enforce everything.
The local doughnut shops would take a hit, but it would save the state a lot of cash.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:39 PM

Our HOA fees go towards mosquito control on our private lakes, lawn maintenance/beautification, insurance and code enforcement. We pay $250 a YEAR for that which is a bargain. Nobody else benefits from it but our neighbors and us.

I don't think that you are quite getting the gist of exactly what HOA's do but instead have turned this into your own little anti-tax argument. There's really nothing more I have to say to you except good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
You missed my point. Sure, I don't like paying taxes. BUT... I want my taxes to go to good use. Why should anyone pay an additional HOA fee on top of taxes? If you are a tax paying citizen then you should demand that your tax money be used locally. HOA neighborhoods are great for state/local politicians because they can re-route that tax money elsewhere. Maybe Florida is relying on homeowners to pick up the slack? I think that towns with HOA's should cut their police down. Let the HOA board members enforce everything.
The local doughnut shops would take a hit, but it would save the state a lot of cash.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:39 PM

237 posts, read 496,863 times
Quote:
And this has what to do with HOA's in the state of Florida?
Nothing, I was just answering another posters question.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:52 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
What services do HOAs provide that the county government should? It seems that is your argument. I live in JCP and ours goes to keep up the common areas, landscpaing the medians, entrances, provide and maintain the storm water management system. also a little bit of it does go to making sure people are in compliance.

If we didn't have the HOA, the only thing the county would probably maintain would be the sidewalks and roads in the plantation which is what they are responsible for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville