U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:27 PM

26 posts, read 79,608 times
Question What happened to Patti's Italian Restaurant?

This restaurant was on Beach Blvd. and the Patti family owned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 03:27 PM

8,204 posts, read 22,769,254 times
Haven't heard of it......where on Beach?

Old 07-19-2007, 06:32 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,603,012 times
Default Was A Great Place To Eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Haven't heard of it......where on Beach?
Its been closed for quite some time,the reason I don't know. Patti's was a well-known restaurant for many years and was located on Beach Boulevard where the incline put you on the Hart expressway

Old 07-19-2007, 06:53 PM

9,342 posts, read 15,595,044 times
From Times Union, 2001

Patti's restaurant was a Jacksonville dining landmark for more than 40 years. Established in 1951 by Peter and Mary Patti when Beach Boulevard was still unpaved, it was one of the first restaurants in Jacksonville to spotlight Italian cuisine.

When the restaurant first opened, the menu featured regional fare, but Peter Patti would give away samples of lasagna and other Italian dishes to intrigue his guests.

Patti's was known for white linen tablecloths, properly set tables and a well-trained wait staff, as well as for its salad dressing and Boneless Chicken Parmesan. It was also a throwback to a time when restaurants made food rather than just cooked it.

They baked their bread, made their own sausage, simmered tomato sauce for hours long before the doors opened at 5 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday.

It was this labor-intensive tradition and refusal to cut corners that finally forced Patti's to close on June 19, 1994.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:25 AM

26 posts, read 79,608 times
Thanks for the information. I used to work there in the 70's and was friends with the Patti's son and daughter-in-law, Pat & Carol. Wish I could find some pictures, menus and etc. from there.

I also used to work at Waldz Restaurant (Marilyn & her sister Ellie and their husbands Stu and Eddie were the owners) on University Blvd that was next to the Thunderbird on Arlington Expressway, Roland's Red Barn BBQ at Atlantic Blvd by the beach, Tony's Pizza & Angelo's Italian Restaurants on University which were owned by the same people, Andy and Nadine.

Anyone remember Denny Moran's on Beach Blvd. that later became the White Elephant that was owned by Leonard Doctors? Nick's Pizza on Beach Blvd. at Jax Beach? Parson's Seafood at Mayport? Smitty's and Castaways Clubs on 1st St. in Jax Beach? Penny's Drive In on 3rd St. in Jax Beach that had hamburgers similar to Krystals? Milligan's on Mayport Road?

I wonder if any of these places are still open, would love to hear from anyone that worked at these places or went there. Thanks for any info.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,603,012 times
Default Jacksonville Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppen View Post
Thanks for the information. I used to work there in the 70's and was friends with the Patti's son and daughter-in-law, Pat & Carol. Wish I could find some pictures, menus and etc. from there.

I also used to work at Waldz Restaurant (Marilyn & her sister Ellie and their husbands Stu and Eddie were the owners) on University Blvd that was next to the Thunderbird on Arlington Expressway, Roland's Red Barn BBQ at Atlantic Blvd by the beach, Tony's Pizza & Angelo's Italian Restaurants on University which were owned by the same people, Andy and Nadine.

Anyone remember Denny Moran's on Beach Blvd. that later became the White Elephant that was owned by Leonard Doctors? Nick's Pizza on Beach Blvd. at Jax Beach? Parson's Seafood at Mayport? Smitty's and Castaways Clubs on 1st St. in Jax Beach? Penny's Drive In on 3rd St. in Jax Beach that had hamburgers similar to Krystals? Milligan's on Mayport Road?

I wonder if any of these places are still open, would love to hear from anyone that worked at these places or went there. Thanks for any info.
I've been to Tony's and Angelo's on University boulevard a couple of times and thought their food was good.I believe their sign said closed after 33 years of service and thanked their customers for all of those wonderful years. I now frequent Nero's Restaurant up on University and Fort Caroline road
and they have good food as well. I have been to Parson's Restaurant and loved the seafood as well as the fishing village of Mayport.I'm not sure whether that restaurant is open or not ,because I haven't been to Mayport in a long time. I've been to Damnifino's Restaurant which used to be pretty close to Parson's Restaurant.I knew the owner of Damnifino's ,he made the news locally,he was a victim of a brutal murder slaying.His body with several other bodies were found dead in a trailer in Mayport.
Nick's Pizza which was at Jax Beach closed quite a few years ago and is now a French Restaurant.I heard it was a good restaurant 30 or 40years ago .I've heard horror stories in recent years from waiters who quit in the middle of their shift because they couldn't stand the owner and how bad the employees were treated there.The waiters used to come across the street to the Dunkin Donuts,a place I used to patronize, and tell me about the treatment from the owner.
Milligan's they tore down at Mayport road and Atlantic Boulevard to put a flyover ramp to make it easier for Navy traffic going to the base.I don't know much about Penny's Drive-in, except for the fact there are no drive-in restaurants at Jax Beach anymore.
Denny Moran's is now St.John's Seafood on Beach Boulevard .I've never been to either one but heard St. Johns had pretty good seafood.
I don't know much about the places you mentiored on first street,but I have heard of them. Back in the 1970's that area was really rundown , but the city of Jax Beach made a lot of reparations on the boardwalk and 1st street and tore down rundown buildings and they hve added new restaurants and hotels to give a new look to the city.
I hope that this has been informative and would like to hear what you have to say.

Last edited by noland123; 07-20-2007 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,949 times
Default Salad Dressing

If anyone has access to the recipe for Patti's Italian salad dressing, I would love to hear from you. I have missed that dressing since Patti's closed.

[EMAIL="gneppl@foley.com"]gneppl@foley.com[/EMAIL]

Old 07-21-2009, 06:42 AM

833 posts, read 965,870 times
The building that held Patti's is still there; now it's a small business complex. One of the businesses there is a neurologist, who, by coincidence, I have an appt with tomorrow.

I first visited the Dr 2 years ago, and asked him if this bldg used to be Patti's. He told me an interesting story. Years ago, when he was being courted to open a practice in Jax, he met the recruiter for dinner at Patti's. Now his office is there.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,901 times
I would love the recipe for the dressing as well - it is the best ever!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,725 times
Default Patti's

When I was younger my family use to frequent the restaruant and it was always a treat. All special occasions were held there for our family as well. My father use to joke with us but suggesting almost every Monday that we should get Patti's take out, (Patti's was closed on Mondays), and we would get so excited only to remember it was impossible.

I miss it very much, best food ever and so nice. We would buy a bottle of their dressing each time we ate there as well and I have for years tried to dupllicate it at no avail. I even try to make chicken parmasian like they did and realy wish I could get their recipes.

I worked at St. Luke's Hospital and met Tammy Patti, daughter to the couple that owned the restaurant and use to beg her to convince them to reopen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville