Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone has any info on this school. My Grandson is planning on attending after he graduates this spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 02:59 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Don't know much. But I played golf with 2 guys who were going to school there about 6 months ago. After talking with them - I got the impression the place was legit - and good. And that most of its students found pretty decent jobs after graduation. Robyn

Old 02-20-2011, 03:35 PM

238 posts, read 887,897 times
Son in law graduated from there last June and did very well in the program; however, he still has NOT found a job. He's a nice looking clean cut guy...so why not? In my opinion, the school doesn't really do much to help you get a job once you're finished although they proclaim job placement assistance. Hello.....any welding jobs out there??? He has applied everywhere...

Old 02-20-2011, 04:44 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
The guys I played golf with were from (if I recall correctly) Alabama - said jobs were available at auto plants and similar there. Got the impression they were from small towns - and planned to go back to small towns with big factories in the south. Of course - the job market everywhere hasn't been the greatest these days. Where has your SIL looked for jobs? Robyn

Old 03-31-2011, 07:41 PM

24 posts, read 72,594 times
My cousin has been a welder for 10 years and graduated from that school in the beginning. He's told me getting a job out of state is a let down because they dont train people that well in TWS and get them graduated so fast that no body wants them outside of oklahoma. Its taken him years to get to where he's at but he's been told by many that TWS holds a low reputation when finding jobs.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:07 PM

509 posts, read 1,680,536 times
My son attended TWS and my husband's cousin has been a welder for over 30 years. TWS is OK, but when you graduate you have to have someone willing to take you on to give you some experience. Most jobs want experienced welders - they don't have the time to train a greenhorn. TSW's ads make is sound like almost all of their graduates get high paying jobs right out of the shute. What we know about the welding field does not support that claim. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,711 times
I'm a grad from the one in tulsa here is how it is people I worked my ass off most if the days I spent 10 to 15 hours and most Saturdays when my 7 months was done I couldn't weld for crap and the would give me 3 days a month to practice what the hell is 3 days going to do. Then I went to otc in tulsa they was real good at first then there pipe welders quit and that school became just Like tws but my welding did improve but one more problem economy so I use all my unemployment got me a welder,pipe,rod,wire,argon, and practiced welding 8months later got my first job then got me a gas welder leads I'm getting better no thanks to tws or otc I'm just very determined no matter what I'm going to make it good luck to all that will go or has gone to either school.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:14 AM

163 posts, read 449,970 times
Wow, you probably couldn't find a job because people probably couldn't understand you. Do you even look over what you just typed?

I am in currently in TWS. I like it so far, good instructors for the most part, good learning environment, plenty of materials and supplies.

A few negatives thus far is that you spend a lot of time cutting and grinding your metal before you weld, but I know thats what you have to do out in the field.

A lot of people dont get jobs because they either cant pass a drug test, they were lazy in school which, unlike college, employers actually ask TWS about your attendence.

Ill keep everyone updated.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 AM

24 posts, read 72,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman_Cometh View Post
Wow, you probably couldn't find a job because people probably couldn't understand you. Do you even look over what you just typed?

I am in currently in TWS. I like it so far, good instructors for the most part, good learning environment, plenty of materials and supplies.

A few negatives thus far is that you spend a lot of time cutting and grinding your metal before you weld, but I know thats what you have to do out in the field.

A lot of people dont get jobs because they either cant pass a drug test, they were lazy in school which, unlike college, employers actually ask TWS about your attendence.

Ill keep everyone updated.
Of course, take great seriousness in a guy that hasn't even graduated TWS yet.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:52 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrymal View Post
Of course, take great seriousness in a guy that hasn't even graduated TWS yet.
Maybe he has, now. That post is coming up on 2 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville