Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:05 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,919,106 times

Advertisements

donisanasfan ... each of us is so different -- some are willing to tackle tedious/time-consuming projects while others wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Doing a paver patio can be DIY as long as you do the preliminary research (which it seems you're doing), and understand that a perfectly-constructed base is crucial.

We had ours done three summers ago (about 24'x24' in a tan-tone) and I watched the whole process (remembering most of it). We had an existing 8'x24' concrete slab patio. It was in good condition, so they left it, and excavated the rest by digging out about 10" of sod, top soil, and subsoil (in our case hard pan clay-like stuff). They tamped that all down with the plate compactor and checked the pitch (I can't recall exactly the pitch they had to slope it away from the house). Then they laid about 8" of sand raking it in all directions what seemed like a million times. They tamped that extensively and repeatedly, checking the pitch as they went.

They measured and staked out the area keeping it all square and then started laying the pavers in the basket weave design we had chosen. One guy was doing the actual setting while two others were supplying him with the "right" pavers -- they were aware of colors of the pavers so that the different tones varied. As it progressed, two other workers started setting the perimeter pavers and securing them with cement. One corner of the patio needed the pavers cut since that corner was cut off to accommodate a pond's edge.

Once the pavers were all set they laid down a layer of sand and swept it into the teeny crevices between the pavers. The whole thing was sprayed with water and the process repeated. A week later the patio was sealed.

Fast forward to today, we love the patio and use it all the time and are so glad someone else did the building of it. We have two problem areas though. One, near the center and near where the old patio slab under the pavers meets the new excavation, two pavers sunk about 1/4". So, even with all that proper constructing of the base, that little part shifted. The second area is where a tree root has decided to grow under one of the edges and a few pavers are humped up. Repairing both areas will be easy, and we're glad we didn't put down a concrete base thinking that the tree root would probably have lifted the slab and thrown more pavers out of whack.

Point is, constructing a paver patio can be done by a homeowner with knowledge, patience, and the right tools and equipment. However, personally for me, I was quite content to watch others do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 12:00 PM

870 posts, read 2,169,539 times
I just had a concrete patio and sidewalk poured in my backyard. I have been thinking about this for quite some time and finally just said "do it!".
I used Concrete Works 838-1836. They came over on Monday to give me an estimate, and by Thursday, I had my patio. I'm pleased.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:29 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,478,722 times
who did you use Mawipafl?

Old 03-08-2011, 05:49 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,919,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
who did you use Mawipafl?
I'm not positive because the company was the subcontractor for our landscaper, but I'm pretty sure it was Fallen Tree Contracting. They were hardworking perfectionists -- I'm slightly OCD about straight lines :-) and there's not one course of pavers out of line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville