Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:38 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
There won't be a 4 day school week. Don't be ridiculous.

Thanks Rick Scott, for cutting education off at the knees, while giving corprorations even more tax breaks (FL ranks as the 5th best state for businesses taxes already, btw).

Helluva job.

Here's a great latter from Clay County's School Board Chairman:

Clay School Board chairman: End blame game, contact lawmakers about education priorities | jacksonville.com

In summary....it says to contact your local and state legislators and let them know that cutting even more off education is simply not acceptable.
If you read the article - you would have noted that it said:

"Gov. Rick Scott's budget proposal would cut the district's funding by 10.5 percent, half of which is due to federal stimulus money drying up."

Like any complicated problem - there is no single party at fault. And it is hard to blame a Governor who's only been on the job a few months for financial problems that have been brewing for years. Iif I had to lay blame at the feet of anyone - it's the feet of the people in JAX (and elsewhere in the state - this is not a unique problem) who spent more and more money even if they were relying on temporary handouts from elsewhere (like Washington).

A simple solution IMO that would go a ways in terms of fixing things up would be doing away with the constitutional amendment limiting class sizes - but voters rejected that a while back (can't remember which election). Another would be consolidating schools. Why do we have little schools scattered all over the place? Larger = more efficient. I would also do away with magnet schools (yup - I've seen the cute mediocre dancers from Douglas Anderson at the FTU Center - but a school like Douglas Anderson is nonsense IMO. I would also do away with the schools that warehouse profoundly retarded adults (I have a friend who works in one of those - many of her students are 20 or so and still wearing diapers - think they get kicked out of school when they about 22-23 - there are about 3 teachers for every 6 students in that place).

Bottom line is we will have to get used to state and local governments having less money to spend on everything. We will have to be smart and efficient about using those smaller amounts of money. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 05:40 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
If you read the article - you would have noted that it said:

"Gov. Rick Scott's budget proposal would cut the district's funding by 10.5 percent, half of which is due to federal stimulus money drying up."

Like any complicated problem - there is no single party at fault. And it is hard to blame a Governor who's only been on the job a few months for financial problems that have been brewing for years/decades. If I had to lay blame at the feet of anyone - it's the feet of the people in JAX (and elsewhere in the state - this is not a unique problem) who spent more and more money they couldn't afford to spend themselves - even if they were relying on temporary handouts from elsewhere (like Washington).

A simple solution IMO that would go a ways in terms of fixing things up would be doing away with the constitutional amendment limiting class sizes - but voters rejected that a while back (can't remember which election). Another would be consolidating schools. Why do we have little schools scattered all over the place? Larger = more efficient. Robyn
Noone is blaming him for the current problems.

The blame goes to him cutting 1.75 Billion from education budget, while at the same time giving 1.6 Billion in new tax cuts to corproations & property taxes.

So he's not saving 1 darn dollar for the cuts......he's giving it away!

If your gonna cut education down to the bone, FL ranks near the bottom in spending per captia, already, btw, at least have something to show for it. (FL also ranks near the top of the best corportate tax states, already, to btw)

2 poor desicions stacked on top of eachother.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
means more people will move across the border to another county.
Yup. Living in St. Johns County - that entered my mind. OTOH - St. Johns County isn't exactly swimming in dough these days either (in terms of building new schools and the like). Robyn

Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
wonder how much of the per pupil spending goes to admin costs in Duval? or in STJC even.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:15 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,171 times
Quote:
Noone is blaming him for the current problems.

The blame goes to him cutting 1.75 Billion from education budget, while at the same time giving 1.6 Billion in new tax cuts to corproations & property taxes.

So he's not saving 1 darn dollar for the cuts......he's giving it away!

If your gonna cut education down to the bone, FL ranks near the bottom in spending per captia, already, btw, at least have something to show for it. (FL also ranks near the top of the best corportate tax states, already, to btw)

2 poor desicions stacked on top of eachother.
1.75b-1.6b= 150m. That's a sizable savings.

You're not in favor of incentives to lure employers here, reversing the big unemployment problems here? Really? You prefer, instead, that we TAX employers out of FL? That's what I'm reading.

Incredible!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:55 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times
Like I mentioned, FL ranks as the 5th best business tax climate already...while at the bottom of education spending.

Here's what you should be reading:

Florida governor thinks he can 'out-Texas

&

After seeing plight of Texas, Floridians, brace yourselves | jacksonville.com

&

Scott looks to Texas, but both states have problems

If Texas is Scott's goal, then be alarmed.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 AM

114 posts, read 327,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
1.75b-1.6b= 150m. That's a sizable savings.

You're not in favor of incentives to lure employers here, reversing the big unemployment problems here? Really? You prefer, instead, that we TAX employers out of FL? That's what I'm reading.

Incredible!
I imagine it is difficult to lure businesses to a state with dismal education rankings and further budget cuts.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
wonder how much of the per pupil spending goes to admin costs in Duval? or in STJC even.
The number I've read for Duval is 6%. Don't know whether or not it's accurate. Robyn

Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
6%? Wow, that might be the lowest I've ever seen then.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,171 times
Quote:
Like I mentioned, FL ranks as the 5th best business tax climate already...while at the bottom of education spending.

Here's what you should be reading:

Florida governor thinks he can 'out-Texas

&

After seeing plight of Texas, Floridians, brace yourselves | jacksonville.com

&

Scott looks to Texas, but both states have problems

If Texas is Scott's goal, then be alarmed.

References to "blogs" and "kooky" Ron Littlepage do not make for a sound rebuttal. So let's try again. 150m savings & you're anti-business...Explain please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: