Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:39 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bativac View Post
Ain't that the truth. Nor is it a "coffee shop" type of town. Now a "burger joint" or "sandwich shoppe" place? I'll give you that. I personally prefer local places and stay away from chains. But most locals prefer Sonny's or Golden Corral or maybe McDonald's or KFC.

I still say our downtown just doesn't have the traffic. Yeah, there are people downtown during the day, but it certainly isn't crowded. Not even close. It's a wonder Starbucks stayed downtown as long as they did. The fact that they're doesn't necessarily MEAN anything but it doesn't SAY anything good about the atmosphere downtown.
Yeah, that sounds about right. From what I saw, there were decent crowds on some warm weekends or when there's an event (sometimes, not often, but sometimes, you could mistake it as a real downtown), but overall the majority of the time it's pretty dead.

If I were guessing, I'd say these were some of Starbucks' "take a chance" stores. Meaning, they probably went in with the notion that things were gonna turn around. But everything down there just kinda stalled out & seems like they're even regressing a bit. I think the downtown resident population has pretty much been stagnant, somewhere in between like 5k-10k for many years (which is quite bad for a town of this size).

Once they saw things weren't progressing like they thought they would, they probably just said eff it & bolted. The Mayoral thing could have even played a role in them seeing what was on the horizon, who knows. From what I understand, they really do their homework in decisions like this, but we'll never really know all the details.

Regardless, its a pretty big blow & not a sign that things are looking up for down there. Sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 05:30 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
It will look like Beiruit in a few years.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,850 times
is there another downtown in America that doesn't have a Starbucks? WTF?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,850 times
Oh, and sorry Charlie, you may have a different niche but you're not a substitute.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:00 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
This is not a snide remark but just a thought that popped into my head ... do we/America/humanity actually judge a city by whether it has one particular coffee shop in it? Truly, is Starbucks THE barometer for judging the upswing or downfall trends of a city? I have no answer either way - maybe it's just a rhetorical question. Still, Starbucks leaving downtown has prompted a discussion. But what if it actually has to do with the location at The Landing and if it was at Hemming Plaza, for example, would anything have been different?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:45 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
If it was just the location at the landing, wouldn't they just move to another spot?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM

278 posts, read 664,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
This is not a snide remark but just a thought that popped into my head ... do we/America/humanity actually judge a city by whether it has one particular coffee shop in it? Truly, is Starbucks THE barometer for judging the upswing or downfall trends of a city? I have no answer either way - maybe it's just a rhetorical question. Still, Starbucks leaving downtown has prompted a discussion. But what if it actually has to do with the location at The Landing and if it was at Hemming Plaza, for example, would anything have been different?
It's definitely not the sole criteria - but Starbucks is kind of the "canary in the coal mine." Sbarro's left the Landing, and the other Starbucks closed a couple years back. I know there's still a Quizno's or a Subway (or both maybe?) in Hemming Plaza and maybe Starbucks would have worked better over there.

No, the presence of major chains doesn't make or break your downtown, but the presence of a place like Starbucks kind of says "your downtown is prosperous enough to warrant a Starbucks."

Our downtown, clearly, is not.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
If it was just the location at the landing, wouldn't they just move to another spot?
I asked myself the same question ... shops, restaurants, stores relocate all the time. By I don't know all the ins and outs of such a process, whether it's simple or complex or perhaps both depending.

So coincidental (ironic?) that this morning's CBS Sunday Morning had a segment on Starbucks. Katie Couric interviewed CEO Schultz, and he had a fit when Katie said that perhaps in this economy people just can't afford a $5 cup of coffee. The conversation and his response are here ...
Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz is all abuzz - CBS News

I'm not saying that Starbucks' exit from Jacksonville is purely because of corporate shuffles, but I think that has a large part to do with it. I think that if Starbucks was back to the top of the mountain rather than still making its climb back, they might have sucked it up and kept the Jax store even if it was low-performing.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:16 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I asked myself the same question ... shops, restaurants, stores relocate all the time. By I don't know all the ins and outs of such a process, whether it's simple or complex or perhaps both depending.

So coincidental (ironic?) that this morning's CBS Sunday Morning had a segment on Starbucks. Katie Couric interviewed CEO Schultz, and he had a fit when Katie said that perhaps in this economy people just can't afford a $5 cup of coffee. The conversation and his response are here ...
Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz is all abuzz - CBS News

I'm not saying that Starbucks' exit from Jacksonville is purely because of corporate shuffles, but I think that has a large part to do with it. I think that if Starbucks was back to the top of the mountain rather than still making its climb back, they might have sucked it up and kept the Jax store even if it was low-performing.
God she's awful. What a bunch of worthless questions. "Durr, are you gonna make tennis balls & put that on your pillow? And how bout charging $5 for a cup of coffee??"

Old 03-27-2011, 04:22 PM

I'm laughing KerryB ... did you see it on TV or just read the article? It was such a mixed interview: the interviewer doing it marshmallowy and the interviewee trying to make serious statements about his company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville