Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 04:08 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,716,316 times

Advertisements

My father's battle with cancer has been a difficult one. He requires skilled nursing care and care for assistance for daily living. Has anyone had experience with a facility that has compassionate care and staff? We live in Fleming Island, and it would be best if there were a place close to where we live.

If anyone has advice on the methods of funding, I would also appreciate it.

He is under Medicare/Tricare for Life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 10:01 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,434,279 times
The best skilled nursing facility in the metro area is River Garden:

River Garden | Excellence in Adult Care Programs and Services

In Mandarin - worth the drive from OP.

Make an appointment with Rebecca Manjon - director of admissions - to discuss your father's situation/options (both from a medical and financial point of view). She knows everything there is to know about this. No reason to discuss personal financial information here.

FWIW - my late FIL was a resident of River Garden for almost 3 years. I give the place . Robyn

Old 03-31-2011, 01:56 PM

And to clarify - River Garden is the "Jewish" SNF in Jacksonville - but you don't have to be Jewish (it doesn't discriminate on the basis of religion or any other factor). About 30-40% of the residents aren't Jewish. However the kitchens (one for dairy - one for meat) are strict Kosher - so residents do have to eat Kosher food and follow Jewish dietary laws. OTOH - there are patios outside where - during nice weather - you can consume non-Kosher food that you bring on the premises (like take-out pizza or something from home). Except during the week of Passover - when - for the most part - no one is allowed to bring in food from the outside. I think this is a small price to pay for the best care in JAX - perhaps the best care in Florida (my late FIL wasn't Jewish - and he didn't mind the food a bit). Robyn

Old 04-01-2011, 07:12 AM

Thank you.

My father decided that he wants to be at home for hospice care.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 PM

From reading your other messages - I realize you're a doctor - a radiologist. Not exactly a "blood and guts doctor" .

I don't know whether your father is talking about his home or your home. But I can relate our 3 experiences with parent deaths. My late MIL died of kidney failure after refusing dialysis while living at home with her husband. My brother is a nephrologist - and he said her death would take place over 3-4 weeks - that she wouldn't suffer. She'd just sleep - more and more - and then one day she wouldn't wake up. He was right. FWIW - I was the person who dealt with my MIL's body and the funeral place (we had arrived where my in-laws lived the day before she died - and I had made arrangements with the funeral place - for some reason - my SIL - who lived there - never thought to do that ).

My late mother had colon cancer and chose to die at home (actually my father kind of forced her- he didn't want to drive anywhere to visit her). She was in a lot of pain for quite a while. Her pain management wasn't very good with home hospice care IMO. She died when her colon cancer "perforated" and she bled out. I thank G-d my brother the doctor was there (we had had about 3 false alarm death watch visits before - but the 4th visit wasn't a false alarm) - because I don't think a non-doctor could have dealt with it. I worked with the at-home hospice workers after her death to "clean up" so my father wouldn't see what happened. There was blood - just tons of blood - everywhere.

My late FIL died at River Garden. After dealing with multiple problems (2 cancers - CHF - etc.) - he had a very bad stroke a few days before Christmas. Was released to River Garden - his home - for terminal hospice care. And the day before Christmas - when we went to visit - well his breathing - his respiration had stopped working properly. And he made signs and noises to the effect - I can't breathe - I'm drowning. He had almost no veins left by then - but the RN managed to get an IV morphine drip in him (barely - we were about ready to get him to the hospital for a cut-down). We celebrated Christmas and the day after (his daughter's birthday) with him in a morphine haze - and he died the next day.

I don't know what kind of cancer your father has - or how long he will live - or how he will die. But I think dying at home - especially with painful cancer - is kind of overrated . I wish my mother could have died with more morphine and more peace in a good SNF or hospice. You're a doctor. Do what you think is best for him - and also what is best for your family too. Death is - for the most part - only pretty in the movies. Robyn

Old 04-02-2011, 07:40 AM

Finally - forgot to mention. River Garden does provide end of life hospice care - but I don't know if it is a Medicare certified hospice. If it is a Medicare certified hospice - then Medicare will pay for qualified end of life hospice care. Anyway - good luck. These situations are always difficult IMO. Robyn

P.S. Don't forget to get the necessary legal documents in order (health care surrogate - living will - regular will - etc.).

Old 04-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
From reading your other messages - I realize you're a doctor - a radiologist. Not exactly a "blood and guts doctor" .

I don't know what kind of cancer your father has - or how long he will live - or how he will die. But I think dying at home - especially with painful cancer - is kind of overrated . I wish my mother could have died with more morphine and more peace in a good SNF or hospice. You're a doctor. Do what you think is best for him - and also what is best for your family too. Death is - for the most part - only pretty in the movies. Robyn
I AM a radiologist but I did primary care for 5 years previously.

My father is enrolled into Community Hospice. They have been great. He has a lot of pain medication (morphine), a hospital bed, Oxygen tank, supplies, and a lot of people caring for him.

I don't know how long he has to live but I hope it is somehow ideally, in the presence of his loved ones. It is quite painful to watch this final chapter in his life. I helped him get the best care possible and communicated closely with his doctors, every step of the way.

He's a fighter and he's an inspirational man.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:15 PM

G-d bless you and I hope your father will spend his final days in peace - not in pain - surrounded by his family. My husband and I managed to do that with one parent - and we felt it was one the best things we had ever done in our lives. Take care, Robyn

Old 04-12-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
G-d bless you and I hope your father will spend his final days in peace - not in pain - surrounded by his family. My husband and I managed to do that with one parent - and we felt it was one the best things we had ever done in our lives. Take care, Robyn
Robyn

Thank you.

After a long battle with cancer and peace in my home with hospice, he passed away on Sunday at 4:19 PM. He was surrounded by family, my daughter was holding his hand, my mother was holding the other, and I had my head on his shoulder. He went peacefully.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:32 AM

My condolences to you and your family - but I'm glad he went in peace. Best wishes, Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville