U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-07-2011, 11:33 AM

2,520 posts, read 2,570,291 times
I'll try Peony too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 11:41 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,760,474 times
My office is right up the road from Hood/OSA. My wife shops at that Asian market and takes her mom there too, when she visits.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM

4,201 posts, read 4,405,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
I'll try Peony too.
Peony is fantastic, it is about as original as Chinese food can get anywhere east of San Fran's Chinatown. Try the jellyfish salad, fish maw soup, and beef tripe hotpot . This is the kind of restaurant where, if you have to ask what it is, you're probably not ready to eat it. It's that real Chinese!

Old 12-07-2011, 12:42 PM

78 posts, read 78,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Peony is fantastic, it is about as original as Chinese food can get anywhere east of San Fran's Chinatown. Try the jellyfish salad, fish maw soup, and beef tripe hotpot . This is the kind of restaurant where, if you have to ask what it is, you're probably not ready to eat it. It's that real Chinese!
I'll second that. Even for the less adventurous, they do a solid hot and sour soup, and salt and pepper calamari.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:14 PM

10,833 posts, read 7,445,743 times
Quote:
B on the map that comes up from that link is a Wok-N-Roll on Edgewood Ave. near Murry Hill
Well - it was B yesterday - today it's D. Tomorrow - who knows? I don't do Google maps (which are sometimes tied to Google ad dollars). I did give the location in the message I wrote above. Shouldn't be too hard for anyone to find. Robyn

Old 12-07-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
A bike, bike repairs, hot shave, ice cream, lunch & dinner, alcohol, and some artisan cheese. I go, maybe, once a month. I don't live there, though. If I did i'd be there all the time, obviously.
You live 5 miles away from there. Which - at your age - I could easily do on a bike (and both of us can do much more easily in a car). If there was anything really interesting there - you'd be there all the time. FWIW - I live about 25 miles away. And get there on an irregular basis - perhaps 4 times a year on average - depending on what's going on at the Cummer - what plants I might be searching for at Phillips Garden Center - etc. Used to have a doctor or two there - but they all have offices at the Beaches now. Biscottis has the same wonderful desserts as bb's - but I wind up at bb's more often (because I go downtown more than to Avondale).

When you like places - you go there. Assuming you can afford to pay for gas. Like I enjoy Whole Foods. And I go there about twice a month - even though it's 25 miles away. Make an afternoon out of it. Lunch and then some shopping - at Whole Foods and the Asian grocery.

OTOH - perhaps people where you live are like many people who live out at the Beaches. They won't "cross the ditch". And they live in their own little worlds. It is not an unusual or Jacksonville specific phenomenon. I know people who live on the UES in Manhattan who don't know beans about Soho - because they don't go there.

Anyway - I often have to deal with a lot of garbage during the week (apart from personal stuff - things like explaining to my 93 year old father for the tenth time why Plan F is better than his current Medigap plan ) . And come Saturday/Sunday - when the traffic isn't so bad - I like to get out and go places and do things. I hope you'll be going to the St. Augustine Nights of Lights this year. It's a lovely thing to do during the holiday season. And - if possible - since you aren't 25 minutes away (like we are) - have a nice dinner there - a few glasses of wine - a short carriage ride (pricey and somewhat corny but worth it - even if you're snuggling under a blanket that smells like a horse ) and rent a room for the evening. We are all so busy busy busy these days. But I guarantee you and your wife will have a romantic evening .

BTW - where did you get the artisan cheese? And do you often get a hot shave? I always thought the latter sounded really neat - and always wanted to get one for my husband as a gift - but he's more of a Navy shower kind of guy. Is it a remarkable experience? Like a great massage? Or just kind of fun for a change of pace? I am kind of running low on gift ideas for him this year. Robyn

Old 12-07-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Yes it's a personal question, not somewhat! So I will answer with some generalities.
I got a great deal as it was my aunts house, and while its not a POS, it is no luxury mansion either.(3BR/2BA 1800 sq ft) We spent less than 1 million but more than 500K for the home and have put another 100 K into updating the kitchen, baths/plumbing, flooring and electric. And will spend maybe another 75k on the dock and lift system. Any real waterfront anywhere in NE FL. is very expensive. I think Ponte Vedra overall not just oceanfront is pricey. Oceanfront is ultra pricey, where as riverfront in Jacksonville is just pricey. This is the last discussion I will entertain on my domicile.
Well if you can get a good deal for whatever reason - I'd never look a gift horse in the mouth.

But it caused me to think that we have pretty much a captive audience here - more or less. People who must live here - because of jobs - or family attachments like yours. Because my father's ex-house - which is about 2500 sf in Broward County - about 40 years old - decent shape - room for a 50+ foot boat on a wide canal off the ICW - 5 minutes to the ocean - great inlet - with no fixed bridges - he sold it for $1.5 million in 2005 and now you could probably get it for $600-700k. If I were looking to move from another part of the country to Florida - and was interested in boating (which I'm not) - it would make zero sense to buy the place you're moving to as opposed to my father's place.

OTOH - the public schools where my father's old house is are crummy. And my house here - in a nice suburb in Miami with good schools - would cost about 50% more than my house here would go for today (taxes would be a lot higher too).

When waterfront (with older smaller houses) up here is more expensive than in SE Florida - I wonder if the real estate market here has a few more shoes to drop? Robyn

Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Good looking out. I love cooking Thai Food at home, so I will hit this place up this weekend.
I know you aren't in my neck of the woods. But if you ever get out to the Beaches - DM me. I have a really big lemongrass plant that may well freeze over in January/February. OTOH - it might not. But even if it doesn't - it's about enough lemongrass for me for the next 5 years. Robyn

Old 12-07-2011, 06:47 PM

3,512 posts, read 4,187,750 times
Robyn,

Welcome to the Old School Barber Shop!

http://www.oldschoolbarbers.com/images/insideimage.jpg (broken link)

&

Green Man Gourmet

http://www.greenmangourmet.com/images/photo/homeImage.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-08-2011, 10:20 AM

3,512 posts, read 4,187,750 times
Back on topic...
"Lesson for Jacksonville Planners: Urban living is the future".

The point is that the old powers that be in Jax haven't acknowledged or appropriately valued/facilitated urban living in the city, and the city has greatly suffered for it. Greatly.

Many leaders are grasping the importance now, and the gears of change are slowly moving. Fits & starts, but the next 4 years will be very telling. So far signs look good, as expected. : )

Speaking of telling.....

Living in a Walkable Neighborhood. Testify!

A few months ago I moved from a 17 to a 92. That isn’t the probability of my going to the gym every day, or the ratio of museum trips to preservation-related movies watched. It’s my neighborhood walk score.

It wasn’t an entirely unexpected change, or even an unconscious decision. After talking the talk for over five years, this was an opportunity for me to (no pun intended) walk the walk. Also unsurprising is that I love it.

While living further out from the city, I did try to be sustainable – I would drive my car to a commuter lot to travel via carpool (the slug line, if anyone is familiar with it), or drive to the Metro (Washington, DC’s subway system). If I could, I would make sure to time all my shopping and socializing in the same area, so that once I parked I limited my driving time. And as much as I could control it I shopped local, and attempted to eat local.

But this – this is different. For five days of the week everything I need is steps away from my new home. I take public transportation 95% of the time, exercise, and get my hair cut without having to get into my car. There are restaurants galore – including my favorite socially-conscious coffee shop – and a few (semi-affordable) independent retail stores owned and operated by small business owners. Not to mention a branch of the public library system. Moving from a 17 to a 92 has made my life, in some ways, less complicated.

Last week I reflected a little on the materiality (or immateriality, rather) of historic preservation. In the post, I cited four elements that connect the physicality of preservation to the more ephemeral, meaningful pieces of what we do: Place-History-Memories-Character.

These four characteristics played heavily in my choice to live in my new neighborhood:

Place: This is my first home away from the place where I grew up with my parents. It was a big step for me, and I knew that when choosing the neighborhood it had to reflect what I wanted to be, where I wanted to spend my time, and a sense of place that reflected some of what I believed in.

History: The direct neighborhood in which I live is not historic in the usual sense of the word – although a large portion of the retail/foodie area was built in 1944. However it does lie adjacent to a National Register district that was once a part of the DC boundaries, and then developed by Defense Homes Corporation during World War II.

Memories: Having lived in the region already, I came to my new neighborhood with a visceral connection to it. My friends and I gather for monthly book clubs at my coffee shop, and I’ve celebrated birthdays at many of the restaurants.

Character: I think, above all else, this area has character. When leaving my apartment building I can run in one direction to see the amazing World War II area housing that still remains, and I am often immersed in green space that lines the sidewalks. While my building is of the 1970s variety, I can look outside my window and see the cityscape of DC arrayed in lights (including the Washington Monument). That feature alone is inspiring.
Going from a 17 to a 92 doesn’t mean I don’t miss my old haunts, my childhood parks/playgrounds, and favorite local restaurants that I still visit when I’m in the area. But I can say that it’s made me an even bigger proponent as a historic preservationist to protecting places that just like this for the future.

from: PreservationNation Living in a Walkable Neighborhood. Testify!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville