U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:58 PM

2,940 posts, read 4,012,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

FWIW - I hope a Haitian who believes in Santeria moves into center city JAX and starts raising and sacrificing chickens and goats (it's pretty common in Miami). And we'll see how the cops treat poor black people - as opposed to white people with money. Would be a hoot to watch the JAX city council then as well. Robyn
What some haitians practice is vodou, santeria is practiced by some cubans and Puerto ricans They both involve animal sacrifices but they are different "religions". I do get your idea though, this is more about hipsters and fads than poor people making ends meet.

Anyway I don't think I wanna have roosters and goats for neighbors. They are loud. I'm also a little disgusted with hen droppings Yuck. They smell so disgusting. If you get the dirty neighbor, good luck with the refreshing country aroma. It sounds cute in theory but in practice no.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 10-07-2011 at 12:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 03:28 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,609,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
The meeting was packed tonight! City Council reps, COJ reps, DCPS reps, all sorts of people....

Literally overflowing, standing room only.

Look at all these iphone owners! (ha)

From: mySpringfield.org • View topic - Community Gardens and Urban Farming..

&

Well what was the general consensus?

Old 10-07-2011, 05:38 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,398,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
What some haitians practice is vodou, santeria is practiced by some cubans and Puerto ricans They both involve animal sacrifices but they are different "religions". I do get your idea though, this is more about hipsters and fads than poor people making ends meet.

Anyway I don't think I wanna have roosters and goats for neighbors. They are loud. I'm also a little disgusted with hen droppings Yuck. They smell so disgusting. If you get the dirty neighbor, good luck with the refreshing country aroma. It sounds cute in theory but in practice no.
Yes, gardening is a fad. So is organic, all-natural, and slow food. You'd better write letters warning everyone that this just a phase and they'll be tossing their hens away next year for the next hipstet fad. You know, like Robyn's iphone. (sigh)

Do the people in those photos look like hipsters to you? I can promise you this Eric Boyd guy is not a hipster, who apparently attended too. Oh, and nothing thst makes noise would be allowed. "If it crows, it goes". Permitting, people. Just like in CHI, ATL, NYC, POR, SEA, etc.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:22 AM

1,663 posts, read 2,901,557 times
Quote:
Do the people in those photos look like hipsters to you? I can promise you this Eric Boyd guy is not a hipster, who apparently attended too.
Ya got that right! LOL

Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 AM

2,940 posts, read 4,012,465 times
So what are they gonna do with the loud animals? Abandon them? animals are unpredictable, you never know what you gonna get.

Now that you mentioned Robyn and her iphone comment, did you read her other posts? I also wanna know how these urbanites plan to get their milk

Old 10-07-2011, 08:07 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,398,083 times
I guess you should do some research/contact those leading this policy change.

Clearly you have valuable insight about this issue.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:42 PM

10,833 posts, read 8,083,664 times
Quote:
The meeting was packed tonight! City Council reps, COJ reps, DCPS reps, all sorts of people....

Literally overflowing, standing room only.

Look at all these iphone owners! (ha)

From: mySpringfield.org • View topic - Community Gardens and Urban Farming..

&
How many seats are there in that room? 100-200? The room looked smaller than the one we use for the annual meetings of our HOA. Robyn

Old 10-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the correction on the names. Did you catch the WSJ article (mentioned in other places) about the disgusting Giant Snail invasion in parts of Miami (especially little Haiti - where they use the Giant Snails as part of ritual ceremonies).

FWIW - I'm with you. If I wanted to live on or near a farm - or do things that are appropriate for a farm - I'd live in an area that is zoned for farming. Robyn

Old 10-07-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, gardening is a fad. So is organic, all-natural, and slow food. You'd better write letters warning everyone that this just a phase and they'll be tossing their hens away next year for the next hipstet fad. You know, like Robyn's iphone. (sigh)

Do the people in those photos look like hipsters to you? I can promise you this Eric Boyd guy is not a hipster, who apparently attended too. Oh, and nothing thst makes noise would be allowed. "If it crows, it goes". Permitting, people. Just like in CHI, ATL, NYC, POR, SEA, etc.
A hipster???? What century or generation is that from <rolling eyes>? See - that is what I mean about JAX. People are just so totally detached from anything resembling anything that is contemporary. You're about 30 years younger than I am - and you talk like an aging 70 year old hippie.

Note that I don't have any problems with gardening. Just raising farm animals in residential urban/non-rural areas. BTW - what's in your garden? I have a tough time growing anything to cook with other than herbs (just the nature of my land) - but I grow an awful lot of them. My garden is also very conducive to bees and butterflies and birds (the surrounding wooded acreage doesn't hurt either).

BTW - I doubt you know much of anything about slow food. And - if you do - tell me your favorite restaurants - the places you've dined at - that can be counted in that part of the current food scene (on a local - national and/or international basis). That go beyond Mayport Shrimp. FWIW - you can't lump organic - locavore - and slow food all together on a consistent basis when it comes to restaurants. And here - in the SE - where we have long periods of time without much in the way of local stuff (think of what you can grow here during the heat of summer) - it is perhaps wiser - if you run a restaurant - simply to try and produce good eats 100% of the year (an aspirational goal for most places in this metro area regardless of the style of their cuisine). Robyn

Old 10-08-2011, 05:18 PM

5,208 posts, read 3,038,170 times
Quote:

LOL goats in the city?? Isnt that what cost the Cubs all those world series attempts??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville