U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:54 AM

324 posts, read 858,824 times

Advertisements

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...disspider2.jpg
Do you know what kind of spider this is. My daughter is new to Jacksonville. Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 PM

14 posts, read 40,802 times
Not sure. The picture is a little fuzzy and too far away. It looks like some type of wolf spider I think.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:59 PM

She is wondering if it is a brown recluse and I wonder if it is a Male Southern House Spider (not dangerous) Here is the link I found www.spiderzrule.com/housespider.htm. Please look at the lower photos too and let me know what you think. She is very afraid if it is a Brown Recluse and the Apartment management is making her wait until Monday.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:50 PM

2,112 posts, read 5,123,188 times
If it is a brown recluse, they call them "recluse" for a reason. Spiders can tell where human activity is and will avoid that place. Like a bed. If the apartment had pest control, most likely and ironically that spider had nerve damage when it crossed the "barrier" and is wondering around like a rabid raccoon unaware of its surroundings. It would have died within a few hours.

The only place I have ever seen brown recluses was in my garage in corners that were hardly ever touched. I saw a black widow in the playroom of my house growing up and in the compartment of one of my small sailboats (J15). These spiders don't like to be near us. Probably no cause for worry.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:30 PM

3,863 posts, read 7,883,316 times
Looks like a wolf spider

Old 04-29-2011, 06:06 PM

14,635 posts, read 17,125,696 times
Who cares what kind of spider it is. Take a Rubbermaid container - turn it upside down - put it over the spider - slip a piece of cardboard or a clipboard under it - pick it up - go outside - and return it to nature. If she has lots of critters in her place - get a pest control outfit to spray 1-4 times a year inside. Robyn

Old 04-29-2011, 06:34 PM

She just wants to know if it is dangerous to her or her cats. She saw a red mark on her cat too after seeing 2 spiders. The brown recluse looks like it is kinda of flesh eating and is really scary if it bites. Hopefully there is nothing to worry about. Thank you for the replies.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:18 PM

It is definitely not a brown recluse. It doesn't have the right body or leg shape at all. I think it is either some type of wolf spider or a house spider.

I have seen a couple brown recluses before. They are probably the most dangerous type of spider in Florida. I have seen them rarely out on camping/canoeing trips on the sides of logs and such. Their venom is very toxic and mutagenic and can actually alter DNA and create skin cancer.

Oh and I HATE spiders. As much as people say they help the environment and people overall, whenever I see one in my house I kill it. There are enough out there in nature doing their thing. If they're in the house, kill them. I still remember when a wood louse spider somehow sneaked into the house and hid out in my bed. It bit me over 20 times throughout the night without me even knowing. Woke up covered in itchy bumps and feeling sick. Found the damn thing in my sheets all full of my blood and smashed it to bits. Kill spiders in your house. Spiders need to learn to stay outside. The genetic bloodline of those that tend to venture into houses needs to be eradicated.

Last edited by chilldude; 04-29-2011 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 08:06 PM

216 posts, read 639,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilldude View Post
Oh and I HATE spiders.
Kill spiders in your house. Spiders need to learn to stay outside. The genetic bloodline of those that tend to venture into houses needs to be eradicated.
Chilldude (no pun intended), seems like you have arachnophobia.
Pinda, capture it as mentioned, or just step on it. The picture us blurry, and it's hard to see the colors of it. Is it a single spider, or an infestation?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:21 PM

I do have arachnophobia. But it came about because of years of horrible exposures to those little eight-legged monsters at many different houses around different areas of Florida...Waking up in the middle of the night with them crawling around on my pillow or on my chest or on my neck, waking up with multiple bites from them on my legs and torso, watching them just hang out in the corners of the ceiling, having them descend upon me en mass out of nowhere while I was just sitting out on the back porch reading a book, being constantly attacked by them whenever I venture into the wild on camping/hiking/canoeing trips...ugh those giant banana spiders with their gigantic webs where if you disturb the web at all, the spider instantly descends upon you...and then there's the mini-spiders that live in plants and shrubs and St Augustine sod all over the place...When they make it into the house, just kill them. Kill spiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville