U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-02-2007, 11:20 AM

14 posts, read 40,700 times
Question driving across country

my husband is being transferred from jax to WA state and we have to drive cross country. however we have two cars and the thought of each of us having to drive alone the whole way makes me cringe. i was wondering if anyone had
any experience w. the trucking companies that will move your cars for you. i've been looking online and the going rate seems to be around $1300 - if anyone has any information, recommendations, advice, etc. it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 01:00 PM

265 posts, read 704,585 times
There are services. Its usually college aged kids, sometimes older. The deal is you pay a flat rate I think its usually around $1000+ gas and a return ticket. I actually did this one time in college. Worked out great I got to see the country and they had their car relocated. I believe this is still done. The way we found each other was kind of like this. We just met and we both wanted something the other wanted to do.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:57 PM

2,796 posts, read 7,335,843 times
We shipped our PTCruiser from PA to Jacksonville in June. We used American Auto Transporters. The price you've found ($1300) would be in the ballpark of what we paid (ours was less, but of course our shipping miles were less.) The car came through unscathed, and we were pleased with the service. Car shipping services from American Auto Transporters, Inc

Old 08-03-2007, 02:13 AM

17,764 posts, read 20,893,857 times
santcek
Since your hubby is being transfered have you check to see if moving the cars is part of his relocation package? Some relos include this

Old 08-06-2007, 10:04 AM

14 posts, read 40,700 times
mawipafl - thanks for the reference, I will check it out!

myfask - no help from the military on this one... thanks for the thought though!

Old 10-04-2007, 01:54 PM

443 posts, read 1,425,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santcek View Post
mawipafl - thanks for the reference, I will check it out!

myfask - no help from the military on this one... thanks for the thought though!
If your husband is active duty then they will pay for one car. or reimburse I should say. We moved across the country 3000 miles and we paid $850 to ship our car. The Navy reimbursed us for this,

I'd check out CinCHouse.com- The nonprofit community of military wives and women

Last edited by sfw1979; 10-04-2007 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: