U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 AM

8 posts, read 23,102 times
Default Private Party car sales tax in Florida.

Does anyone know why FL charges sales tax on a car sale between two private party's? Its insane to think that FL collects tax continuously on the same car that changes hands between private individuals ... that when the State had already collected taxes on the vehicle when it was initially bought/sold.

Glad GA doesn't do this; only pay taxes when buying new/used from a dealer.

In any case, since I'll be moving to JAX; anyone happen to know the sales tax rate in Duval county when a vehicle is bought from a private individual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 01:21 PM

4,256 posts, read 4,144,867 times
1st guess is because there is no state income tax here. Georgia can't claim that
Doesnt Georgia have an Ad-Valourum tax that you pay on all property you own every year?

Sales Tax on Motor Vehicles Brought into Florida
New and used cars purchased in the State of Florida are subject to the standard 6 percent sales tax. Vehicles purchased in other states six months before they are brought into Florida are not subject to the six percent sales tax.
If the vehicle being brought into Florida was not used and purchased six months before entering Florida it is subject to the states 6 percent sales tax and must be paid before a title and license plate will be issued. But a credit is allowed for the same tax paid in another state.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:30 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,138,540 times
Most states do charge a sales tax when the new owner registers the car, so Florida isn't unique. If it's a car purchased from a dealer, proof of tax paid to the dealer must be submitted. If it's a private party sale, then the tax is usually paid to the registry as part of the paperwork. Some states use the sale price from the Bill of Sale to calculate the tax, while others might take the original MSRP and reduce the value by the age of the car and then do the tax.

As far as I know, a private party does not collect the sales tax from the buyer because there's no way to submit it to the state. I'm not a tax attorney, but this is how I understand it to be.

Florida state tax rate is 6%. Duval County is 7%. Which rate you'd pay depends on a number of things (your residence, location of the seller, etc.)

Old 02-01-2012, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 13,926 times
What if I am a resident of Flordia, but want to sell my car to my mom that lives in Georgia. Does she have to pay sales tax to Florida?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:31 PM

4,256 posts, read 4,144,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MElizabeth View Post
What if I am a resident of Flordia, but want to sell my car to my mom that lives in Georgia. Does she have to pay sales tax to Florida?
She would have to pay whatever fees/taxes that the state she is going to register the car in requires.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,138,540 times
Here's a question I have not found an answer to and probably means I need to call the FL DMV, but I thought I'd ask here first.

We want to sell one of our cars to our daughter for $1. It's the one she's been driving since we moved here 5 years ago, but it's been in our name. It's now time for her to own it and get her own insurance, etc.

When she goes to register it, first, will she have to pay a sales tax and if so, on the $1 sales price or on some sort of fixed value (from the Blue Book or whatever)? Second, since this is her first registration, I presume she will have to pay the "new wheels" fee of $225 since she is not transferring a registration from one vehicle to another. Is there any legal way to get around this "new wheels" fee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville