Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times

Advertisements

Whats interesting is the flag flies at I-75 & I-4 and its next to the Martin Luther King exit. And someone on YouTube wrote there's another Confederate flag on I-75 near Lake City they are not sure if its North or South of Lake City.

YouTube - ‪THE BIGGEST REBEL FLAG I HAVE EVER SEEN‬‏

Old 06-01-2011, 07:34 PM

705 posts, read 1,575,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
the flag is outside of the city limits and the support for it is pretty divided.
Ya think? I'm sure the black community, which is large, isn't in love with it for one thing. There are lots of people of all races who aren't pro black oppression. Isn't it kinda like flying a swastika in Jerusalem. Well, maybe that's an extreme example, but you get the point. Pretty insensitive and not helping race relations one bit.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:04 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
Ya think? I'm sure the black community, which is large, isn't in love with it for one thing. There are lots of people of all races who aren't pro black oppression. Isn't it kinda like flying a swastika in Jerusalem. Well, maybe that's an extreme example, but you get the point. Pretty insensitive and not helping race relations one bit.
It depends on how you interpret it. Minorities and people from the North and West might view it as a racist symbol while people from the South might view it as a symbol of their heritage. It makes no difference to me; I have better things to worry about. The flag is on private property and doesn't seem to violate any sort of county code. This is just an issue that people will never agree on.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:49 PM

The flag was erected on private property by the Sons of the Confederacy to honor those from Tampa who went off and served the State of Florida in the War of Northern Aggression. Or for those of y'all in here from above the Mason Dixon line the Civil War.

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 06-01-2011 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: don't mix corn squeezins with pharmaceuticals

Old 06-02-2011, 07:55 AM

705 posts, read 1,575,185 times
The Confederate Battle Flag dates to 1861 when The South flew it in the Civil War. The Civil War was mostly about slavery. Therefore, to me, (and I'm white) it represents definite anti-black sentiment. I guess people are entitled to do and say as they choose. I'm just sayin', do we need this kind of thing today, this many years later. Can't we get past this. Can't we all just get behind the American flag?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
The Confederate Battle Flag dates to 1861 when The South flew it in the Civil War. The Civil War was mostly about slavery. Therefore, to me, (and I'm white) it represents definite anti-black sentiment. I guess people are entitled to do and say as they choose. I'm just sayin', do we need this kind of thing today, this many years later. Can't we get past this. Can't we all just get behind the American flag?
The victors wright the history. There is a mythology that the North wanted to end slavery and that is the ONLY reason they went to war. People thought that the Civil War would last a few weeks but it went on for 4 years. The South was essentially a defeated county and it took WWII ( and the post war mobility) to really bring the South fully back into the United States.

THe North didn't have the interest of the slaves in mind as their primary concern. Slavery was a major factor for sure. If you look at the writing of many Northern heroes ( ie Lincoln,Grant etc) they were pretty racist. ( But then again most people were at that time). Many Northern states had laws restricting settlement of black people among other racist laws.

There may not have been widespread slave holding in the North but they were glad to reap the economic benefits. Many New England ships transported slaves (under the US Flag BTW) making lots of money for many prominent New England ship owners. Factories in the North made things from cotton picked by slaves.

All I am saying is that the issue is more complex than a bunch of racist rednecks wanting to have slaves and some wonderful magnanimous abolitionists that wanted to end slavery.

One could say that the US flag represents slavery as well. But sadly the KKK has taken the stars and bars and made into the symbol of racism. People marching with the stars and bars in NJ, MI etc are not proud of their Southern roots.

The swastika was a Hindu( I think) symbol of the cycle of life... but it was coopted by the Nazis into their symbol. ( interesteignly Arizona had a swastika on their highway signs... one of the tribs in AZ used the symbol as well. But the world thinks of Nazis when they see swastikas

Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 AM

The only reason the Northerners did not have widespread slave holding was the fact that most northern farms were small by Southern Plantation standards and large cheap labor pools were not needed to operate them.

Slavery was just a part of the problem the major problem was States Rights, and self government.

To the Navajo Indians the swastika was a sacred image representing a legend that was used in healing rituals, after learning of the Nazi association, the Navajo discontinued use of the symbol.

The swastika is one of the 108 symbols of the Hindu deity Vishnu and represents the Sun's rays, upon which life depends. Its use as a Sun symbol can first be seen in its representation of the god Surya. The swastika is used in all Hindu yantras and religious designs.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
The only reason the Northerners did not have widespread slave holding was the fact that most northern farms were small by Southern Plantation standards and large cheap labor pools were not needed to operate them.....
Some would say that the immigrants that lived in tenements in places like New York or the mines of Pennsylvania didn't have it much better than slaves.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:23 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
I remember seeing that flag a lot as a kid on Normandy Blvd. Never knew what it was all about and my parents never mentioned it or had an issue. I think the first time it may have bothered me was when the Malcom X movie came out and all the kids were wearing the X hats...it was like the style...like starter jackets and duck head clothing. Then the white kids started wearing the Confederate flag shirts saying "You wear your X Ill wear mine" I remember seeing that and was like WTF? The X hats weren't disses to white folks it was just what was hot at the time. Many kids were wearing the hats without even seeing the movie lol even white kids wore them.. they were cool baseball caps. Other than that scenario it never really bothered me. So its no biggie.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:38 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Some would say that the immigrants that lived in tenements in places like New York or the mines of Pennsylvania didn't have it much better than slaves.
What a dumb comparison!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville