Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 05:15 PM

11 posts, read 30,976 times

Advertisements

Actually I agree with your flag facts.I grew up with a history professor for a father and have had many historical discussions.I am speaking of the way the battle flag is used by the average person when seen on the back of trucks and on t shirts etc.Many people would agree that the waving of the flag became a very popular thing during the civil rights movement.I have talked to many flag wavers over the years and yes the vast majority admitted to these intolerant feelings.As for major debates,this is not the place for it as far as I am concerned.A lot of what I post is more light hearted than how it comes across.One interesting thing on the swastika issue.My husband and I collect some art and are really getting into antique oriental rugs.One of our rugs has a swastika on it.It is from India dating to the late 19th century.We also have Hindu friends that use swastika symbols in some of their ceremonies.They consider it to be a very positive symbol and not hateful at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 06:03 PM

450 posts, read 557,819 times
I will agree there is some who have hyjacked the battle flag for the wrong reasons but like in so many aspects of life there will always be a few stupid minority of people

I am fed up with hearing off some (not you) that it's a racist flag, how the north fought for the freedom of slaves which was not true either.
They are the ones who have no historical knowledge and show their ignorance

If those poeple looked into the causes and especially how the north was taxing the south, how states in the north had slavery , the biggest industry in new york was actually slave ship building, the biggest race riot happened in new york, too along with one of the first slave owners was actually a black man, if they looked into the speeches gave from lincoln, to sherman, to robert e lee, then the amount of african americans who fought for the confederacy along with the cherokee native americans then they would know much more

No way is it fair for some to run around and want others to hide what their family died for.
I remember once at a highway 95 rest stop and a car pulled up with the confederate flag on and there was a couple from new jersey saying to themselves look at those racists.
I just looked and thought you really are very ignorant, you know nothing of those people but because they have that flag they are thought of racist, sad indeed

as for the swastika, that symbol has been used in India for many years along with old tribes around the world . It is quite interesting to find out how that symbol is actually religious to some

The salute which some equate to the nazis is actually an old roman salute which caused some trouble recently by an italian soccer/football player.
He would do the salute when he scored a goal but the soccer organisation came in and said it was racist, he got fined for doing it everytime.

lunar
I in no way think or want you to think I was having a go at

you your collection sounds interesting and it's actually something I would like to do when I have more time and money

take care lunar and look forward to reading more posts from you

Old 01-19-2008, 09:19 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,571,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarforces View Post
Actually I agree with your flag facts.I grew up with a history professor for a father and have had many historical discussions.I am speaking of the way the battle flag is used by the average person when seen on the back of trucks and on t shirts etc.Many people would agree that the waving of the flag became a very popular thing during the civil rights movement.I have talked to many flag wavers over the years and yes the vast majority admitted to these intolerant feelings.As for major debates,this is not the place for it as far as I am concerned.A lot of what I post is more light hearted than how it comes across.One interesting thing on the swastika issue.My husband and I collect some art and are really getting into antique oriental rugs.One of our rugs has a swastika on it.It is from India dating to the late 19th century.We also have Hindu friends that use swastika symbols in some of their ceremonies.They consider it to be a very positive symbol and not hateful at all.
Arizona even had the swastika on their state highway signs

Old 01-19-2008, 08:37 PM

133 posts, read 526,804 times
Exclamation History?

What is that in a modern school, except a re-hash of one time facts in the tone and image of modern political correctness.

Lincoln the Christian President? Was neither a Christian nor my family's president. He was a "free thinker" who wrote in the 1850's "if there is this thing we call God, nobody knows who he is..." The closest religion to the White House in his terms were the Spiritualist, Crystal Balls and all.

Lincoln the humanitarian? The Confederacy begged Lincoln to allow food shipments through to the camp at Andersonville, Georgia, or even to allow an exchange of prisoners, but Lincoln allowed them to starve as it would put pressure on the South. One of Andersonvilles ranking Yankee officers suggested that Lincoln should have been hung at the end of the war and not the Confederate camp commander.

Lincoln the Great Heart? Lincoln ordered that all Confederate irregulars take an oath of loyalty to the USA on their surrender, then ordered that those same men be arrested and executed. HE gave birth to groups such as the James Boys, Youngers, Daltons, Belle Starr and a host of others.

Lincoln the Freedom Hound? Just before the war, Lincoln served as an attorney to represent slave owners in forcing black slaves back to the plantation. He won his case, and the man was arrested and returned to plantation life.

Lincoln "Honest Abe"? Was involved in a plot to murder the key Confederate leaders in the war. Strictly illegal, he replied to a nasty note from the Supreme Court, "How many divisions does the Court Have?"

UNRECONSTRUCTED SOUTHRON VIEW

Lincoln, Father of equality and Civil Rights? In the writings of Lincoln, he constantly makes reference to black men as pseudo-monkeys, a sub-human 1/2 man and 1/2 animal that will NEVER be equal.

Lincoln, Man of Peace? Sorry, Lincoln started the fight by sending a naval ship "Star of the West" in to reinforce Fort Sumpter, and having a naval squadron ready to sail to Fort Sumpter or Fort Pickens. Florida and South Carolina had to act quickly or be over-ran by the US Navy in violation of a peace treaty signed with the previous US president. Firing on either fort was a pre-emptive strike that forever laid the blame on the South. Lincoln had also already crossed the river into Virginia with Federal forces which were badly beaten and driven back at Balls Bluff... But you won't find this in your childs history books.

Lincoln should have NEVER been shot at the end of the war, that was just wrong. In my Southern mind, it should have been done 5 years sooner... which might have saved a MILLION LIVES.

That battle flag in those trucks is wrong too... The real battle flag was square, the Naval Jack is what people fly today.

Ocklawaha
Deo Vindice

Old 01-20-2008, 02:01 AM

20 posts, read 49,033 times
Default What I like about Jacksonville...

Back to Jacksonville positives for a moment - there really is a lot to do here. We have been here for almost 4 years and still stumble into something new pretty frequently. We just tried an event at the Florida Theatre last month and really enjoyed it. Also, lots of sports as long as you are not insistent about the "pro" status of your teams - JU, UNF, the Jam, the Suns plus the suddenly successful Jaguars. And the Gators or Noles visit town for football and baseball. We've been to JU basketball at the arena and a football game at their campus. Lots of fun actually.

Love St. Augustine even more for hanging out, eating, concerts at the pier, etc. but really it's the balance of the two environments that makes it work for me. I live in one of those stucco boxes neighborhoods but there are nice places (with real trees!) in Mandarin, by JU (not sure what the neighborhood was called) and all up and down San Jose north of 295. Just get out and look around.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:51 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in JAX View Post
I recently moved to Jacksonville and I can say that the traffic is fantastic compared to other cities of this size. I also enjoy the lush vegetation in the area. Plants really grow very well here so the city looks lush and green (for the most part).

I'm not sure why people think Jacksonville is inexpensive. The cost of living (especially the cost of housing) is VERY high compared to most of the country when you compare prices to income. I know I was shocked when I moved here and I know that all of my friends were shocked when they moved here (I don't have any local friends). I know my grocery bills, utility bills, non-covered medical expenses, etc. all doubled when I moved here from a much larger city in Texas.
I think when people refer to the cost, they are relating it to other large FL cities, and not necessarily other US cities. Price to income here is horrible...just like it is all over FL. FL, in general, needs to get their heads out of "you know where" on that subject for sure.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:26 AM

133 posts, read 526,804 times
Talking Hijacker

Sorry about hi-jacking the post or getting into the hi-jack that was already going on...

Administrator, perhaps we could move mine to it's own "REBEL FLAG OR CONFEDERATE BANNER..."

As for positives, Jacksonville's cost of living is 9% BELOW the national average for a City of our size and 15% below the State of Florida. Very positive numbers indeed.

Did you know, EVERY SINGLE train car, coach or locomotive that enters the peninsular of Florida, MUST roll through Jacksonville? TRUE! We really are the Gateway to Florida by Rail.

We have more miles of Beaches in Jacksonville then the States of Utah, Nevada and Wyoming combined!

Airline pilots have voted us as "The most beautiful City by Air" several times over.

We get hammered for urban sprawl, and no density like true urban places... but the numbers tell a different story, we are more dense then Charlotte or Atlanta or MANY other Cities. In fact within our population group MSA we are dead in the middle in density.

We probably have more hidden treasures such as little swimming holes off the side of some side road, or Civil War forts, or sunken war ships, then any other major city. Lot's to do? Oh just go for a drive.

We are a major metro, yet all over town, I can pull up to a roadside stand, drop coins in a jar, and drive off with fresh honey, or eggs, or squash, or...

Medical, some magazines have rated us low in medical services, but the Cities where they are published doesn't have THE MAYO CLINIC. When "their doctors" read up on the latest treatments they read it in the MAYO JOURNAL... and who graded the papers of those wonder workers at Mayo? Some of them by the wise old professors at Shands... When we get that new teaching campus, nobody can stop us.

Mass Transit? Did you know we are home to the 66Th largest bus fleet in all of North AMerica? It gets even more interesting when your on the inside and realize the first 30-40 cities on the list, account for about 10 entries each. For example Los Angeles, counts about 50 transit agencys operating buses into downtown, you'll see Santa Monica, Long Beach, Orange County, etc. and each of them in the very top as far as size. That sets us apart from other Florida Cities, of which only METRO-DADE and BROWARD Transit are larger. We dwarf Tampa, St. Petersburg and Orlando in bus services.

Last but not least, we REALLY ARE moving toward some forms of mass transit that other cities have only dreamed about.

VIVA JACKSONVILLE!

Ocklawaha

Old 01-20-2008, 09:09 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,452,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocklawaha View Post

We have more miles of Beaches in Jacksonville then the States of Utah, Nevada and Wyoming combined!
Very funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville