Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:18 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,126,577 times

Advertisements

Anyone know a handyman/woman who will work by the hour?

I have a number of things that need work- foremost is a microwave that has to be installed under a cabinet. A guy that was recently referred to me wants $150! It needs no venting, no electrical work, nothing moved or removed before hanging it- just hung up there.

He also wants $90 to install a toilet. Not go pick one out, tote it to the house....just come to my place and stick it in. Lowe's said I only needed a tank and could do it myself, but he said to replace it all. I was ready to do that when he started talking about not using those gooey flange things, preferring something else, which he went into detail on, but enough so that I became suspicious, as he was speaking greek to me at that point..baffling me with bu****, it seemed.

So, I figured- for $250 I should be able to hire someone for all day and have them replace a few electric outlets, my dining room chandelier, motion detectors.

For $250 I should either get more things fixed or else he should kiss me when he leaves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 12:37 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,007,484 times
hif
I will get the number of the handyman my friend uses and give you a call

karla

Old 08-04-2007, 01:25 PM

265 posts, read 989,921 times
None of that takes a handyman. The microwave if you are replacing an existing one slides in on the same rails as the one you are taking out. Replacing a toilet is not hard at all. You want a new wax ring for the bottom and maybe replace the rubber gaskets inbetween the bowl and tank. The in tank equip. comes with instructions, again this is no problem. You can get a little electrical socket tester (usually with a little light that lights up to tell you if its live) shut it off at the circuit breaker box. Usually all you need are a pair of needle nose and a flathead screwdriver and you can replace all the electrical outlets you want. Make sure if you are replacing anything near water you use a GFCI outlet. Honestly if you have anyone in your life with the muscle to move these items with your help this can be done and you can take the $250 you will save and buy stuff. Because buying stuff is way more fun than replacing a toilet.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:27 PM

Cool. I called the Publix guy and he was out of my price range. Maybe I am just not being realistic.

I hung my own dining room light today- but the wires are sticking out above the chandelier with those plastic caps sticking out. But other than that, it looks much better than the one that had been there.

Got a good deal on it- $89, marked down to $39 and then half off that- $19!

old- http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/old.jpg (broken link) new- http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/new.jpg (broken link)

Now if I can motivate myself, I need to paint the whole room a greenish-khaki color. And change the lamp to a smaller, accent lamp. Can't stand the chairs... maybe I can cover the backs.

No wisecracks about my lush greenery! Plants must have a strong survival instinct at my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
hif
I will get the number of the handyman my friend uses and give you a call

karla

Old 08-04-2007, 01:37 PM

Went to Lowes today and the guy said I should be able to do the toilet my self, too. They don't make replacement tanks for that model, so the whole thing must be replaced. If that is going to happen, I may as well get some tile and try to tile the floor first. The vinyl has been there since the place was built. We have three toilets, so that one is shut off for now. Maybe I'll attempt to do it myself. My son is 13, so can help me lift it.

The microwave will go to a new spot. I'll look in the box and see if the rails are in there. It's VERY heavy, though. If I get the rails up, I can ask the lawn men to help me if the owner isn't around. Or maybe the trash guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
None of that takes a handyman. The microwave if you are replacing an existing one slides in on the same rails as the one you are taking out. Replacing a toilet is not hard at all. You want a new wax ring for the bottom and maybe replace the rubber gaskets inbetween the bowl and tank. The in tank equip. comes with instructions, again this is no problem. You can get a little electrical socket tester (usually with a little light that lights up to tell you if its live) shut it off at the circuit breaker box. Usually all you need are a pair of needle nose and a flathead screwdriver and you can replace all the electrical outlets you want. Make sure if you are replacing anything near water you use a GFCI outlet. Honestly if you have anyone in your life with the muscle to move these items with your help this can be done and you can take the $250 you will save and buy stuff. Because buying stuff is way more fun than replacing a toilet.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:55 PM

As far as the tile, rent a wet saw and off you go it is very easy laying tile. Just hard on the beack and knees. If this bathroom is on a subfloor (not concrete) you may want to put down some wonder board. The guy at lowes will point you in the right direction. You dont want to lay tile right on wood. I worked summers at lowes and some of the stuff people would come in and say they did whew. It is always a good idea to speak with one of their associates. You seem to be a pretty level headed lady I think you can handle it no problem.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:53 PM

hahahaha...rent a wet saw- RIGHT! Now I think I'm back to the handiman idea. I am not a handy person. Tried to do my metal front door- took it off, set it up in the garage. Stripped it. sanded it, put on kilz, painted it, lightly sanded again, painted it again- a three day process. Used the right products, left time for drying. Put it back on and within a week it bubbled. It is horrible looking and I would have gotten a nasty letter from the management company already 'cept I'm the HOA pres I got a quote of $600 to replace the door, he said it couldn't be repainted. Another guy told me it was because of the color I selected..... I just bought a sander a couple of weeks ago to try again. Funny thing, it actually must be OUT of the box before it will work- am building up the nerve...

No, I need a professional LTR with a handiman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
As far as the tile, rent a wet saw and off you go it is very easy laying tile. Just hard on the beack and knees. If this bathroom is on a subfloor (not concrete) you may want to put down some wonder board. The guy at lowes will point you in the right direction. You dont want to lay tile right on wood. I worked summers at lowes and some of the stuff people would come in and say they did whew. It is always a good idea to speak with one of their associates. You seem to be a pretty level headed lady I think you can handle it no problem.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:19 PM

16 posts, read 66,687 times
Where are you located? Might be able to help.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:35 PM

450 posts, read 552,836 times
I'm in staugustine and used to paint private houses , buisinesses if you want help and if you're elderly , not too far away and it's not a big job like 5 days then I'll do it for nothing

the colour thing is rubbish so don't listen to the person,

Old 08-04-2007, 08:16 PM

the thing about the door sounds fishy. The thing that usually causes bubbling is 2 different base paints, like oil based on top of latex or vise versa. Go ahead and sand it down again primer it with Killz and ask the guy at the paint counter exactly what he suggests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville