Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 AM

43 posts, read 115,229 times

Advertisements

My fiance' and I have considered many places and I think that we have finally came to an agreement. Were moving to Jacksonville! We have researched the basics (climate, jobs, housing, crime, schools , etc.) now were down to the nitty gritty.

He will be a recent graduate, and I will be going for my second bachelors degree. From what I found, Jacksonville doesn't have many colleges with the exception of online/community colleges which I am not interested in. So that being said, we are looking to find an area that would be fairly close to either University of North Florida or Jacksonville University. I am not sure the location/area of either college as it relates to downtown, but we would really like to live close to/if not in the downtown area.

We are both young (22 & 24) and like to go out so it would be great to find a place close enough to downtown so that we could get a cab if we went out but that is still safe. We would love to find either a two bedroom apartment or a two bedroom house for around $600-$850 a month. Also, I have read a ton of posts concerning the different areas to live but most were concerned with family friendly neighborhoods and we are really not at all so please keep that in mind as well.

Last edited by FollowYourDreams; 06-13-2011 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 AM

21 posts, read 29,810 times
In my opinion I would think the Southside would be ideal for you, hands down. UNF is moments away and JU is 10-15 mins away. There is not a lot going on Downtown that you would want to be that close to on daily basis. The Southside is much more vibrant and flooded with people in your age range. Anything you need is in very close proximity as well. Restaurants, malls, 15 mins to the beach, 10 mins to downtown. The Tinseltown area is perfect for dinner and weekend drinks, etc. I don't think many here would disagree with my overall assessment.

Welcome to Jax!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:58 AM

Oh really? So most people don't go out downtown really? How is traffic to downtown from the areas you mentioned?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowYourDreams View Post
Oh really? So most people don't go out downtown really? How is traffic to downtown from the areas you mentioned?

Rush hour traffic can be a bit annoying, but nothing like NYC, DC, etc. But from Southside to Downtown is 10-15 mins tops..

There are some things to enjoy downtown but its not a focal point like in most cities. Jax is so spread out that there is no main "strip" per se. Some people go downtown, some go to the beaches and some do Tinseltown.

I love MANY things about living here in Jax for the last 4 yrs but I'd say one thing they dropped the ball on was taking advantage of creating a young professionals mecca out of the downtown area. With the water and the weather it is an ideal location. Thats about the only missed opportunity I see they made..But the other intangibles more than make up for it, IMO.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times
Follow your dreams,

Be careful who you listen to on this forum, its not all good advice.

The 2 main areas where young people live & play are the general downtown area and the beaches. These are specific neighborhoods I would look into in this order:

In and around Downtown.....
1. Riverside & Avondale historic district
2. San Marco
3. Springfield historic district
4. Downtown, itself.

You should love these areas, most everyone does. Tons of stuff to do. They are all within a few miles of eachother too. 1000x more walkable/bikeable, eclectic, and "cool" than the Tinsel Town area, which is basically suburban strip malls, chains, and big box stores.

Beaches.....
1. Atlantic Beach
2. Neptune Beach
3. Jacksonville Beach

Atlantic & Neptune Beach are very walkable/bikeable too, and are somewhat eclectic and "cool". The main draw is the beach, of course.

I have lots if info on these neighborhoods, so feel free to ask.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:20 PM

With all due respect FSU, when someone puts IMO, that states it is an opinion, to which we are ALL entitled.

I live in St. Johns and love it here. With that being said, if I was single my first choice would be Neptune beach all day, every day . BUT, if I needed to be centrally located to get to other points in Jax, well then the beach MAY not be the best option.
So with that in mind my second choice would be Southside. I have many single friends in condo's / apartments living there and they LOVE it for its mix of restaurants / nightlife / convenience to other parts of the city, including minutes from UNF.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:08 PM

Well thank you both, I will look into all of the areas mentioned. We plan on visiting soon and I am sure this will help. We really aren't sure which would be best for us, closer to the school or closer to the city where my fiance' will more than likely be working. Either way one of us will have to drive a little ways.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:31 PM

What is the average rental price I should expect on a 2 bedroom house? We prefer a house but if an apt is cheaper we may consider. We are used to paying between $600-$800 so we were really wanting to stay close to that range give or take $100.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:57 PM

Anyone know about historic spring field and what it is near?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
Historic Springfield is just north of the downtown urban core of Jacksonville. Heres a link to SPAR
SPAR Springfield Preservation and Revitalization | historic preservation, urban revitalization
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville