Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 09:06 AM

65 posts, read 180,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
"You should have known that the south was..."

Yah, sorry, I've never viewed Florida as part of the "south" that is commonly known. Most people I know from the north do not consider FL "the south". Sure, location wise, it is south but most don't think of it that way.

Also, St. Augustine is like 40 something miles from Jax...how is that considered "part of" Jax?
Well because you know when government wants to check the output of an area's industries they divide a state into sections of areas encompassing several counties, sometimes going over state borders? Well the people here mention St. Augustine as part of Jax because St. Augustine is part of their MSA (that portion that government uses to measure industries).

St.Augustine has nothing to do with Jax, I guess there is so little to do in Jax, that people here actually take credit for St.Augustine, when it's irrelevant to local culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 09:09 AM

65 posts, read 180,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
OK whats a Mayor city? As far as the Lebron thing I never really paid that much attention to it (didn't care) thought it was funny that some people actually expected loyalty from any pro athlete.
Mayor city was a typo that was just changed. I agree I was very dissappointed at the city's response to Lebron leaving, he did what every other pro athlete with a better offer on the table does: leaves.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:54 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
I'm just happy I could take my talents to the First Coast.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
The part of the 5 -10 sec delay when the light turns green .... well, my first piece of advice from my insurance agent when I moved here was just that -- it gives the drivers running the red light just enough time before you can safely proceed. :-)

Old 06-24-2011, 10:27 AM

227 posts, read 415,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
"You should have known that the south was..."

Yah, sorry, I've never viewed Florida as part of the "south" that is commonly known. Most people I know from the north do not consider FL "the south". Sure, location wise, it is south but most don't think of it that way.

Also, St. Augustine is like 40 something miles from Jax...how is that considered "part of" Jax?
I live in St. Augustine and IMHO it is nothing like Jacksonville. To each his/her own I guess...but if it was, I would definitely not be living here. The only time I go to Jax is to get to the airport to fly to Maine.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
St Augustine is not part of Jacksonville per se ... but it is considered part of the Jacksonville metro area. And no its nothing like Jacksonville it is its own quaint little touristy town, but a lot of people that live down there do commute to Jacksonville for work. I couldn't live there, to many tourist driving around sightseeing and lost, but I go there occasionaly to have dinner at O'steens or Playa Chaka Mool (best Mexican food on the first coast)

Old 06-24-2011, 10:46 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
I'm just happy I could take my talents to the First Coast.
Were happy as hell that you could also!!!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:06 PM

838 posts, read 1,875,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatUndercoverBrother View Post
I guess there is so little to do in Jax .....
Let's see ... most major music groups/individuals have concerts here ... many smaller venues for concerts of all types ... a huge river and many smaller rivers ... a symphony ... an NFL team ... minor league Arena football, basketball, baseball, soccer ... 2 Univ with most sports ... public swimming pools ... many major chain restaurants and dozens & dozens of excellent local restaurants ... many Broadway shows ... the Alhambra and lots of smaller neighborhood theaters ... urban and natural parks all over the city ... hiking & biking trails ... miles of beaches ... campgrounds ... golf courses ... lots of bars/nightclubs for all genres ... quirky little shops ... new modern shopping areas ... kayak/canoe/paddleboat rentals ... fresh or saltwater fishing ... recreational sports teams for kids & adults ... the Art Walk ... the River Run ... the Air Show ... July 4th fireworks ... the Circus ... the Riverside Arts Market ... outstanding museums ... a world class zoo ... it recent years: the Super Bowl, NCAA Basketball Tournament, Ice Capades, Nat'l Gymnastics competition, ACC Baseball tournament ... yeah, there's nothing to do here

Old 06-24-2011, 12:43 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
Let's see ... most major music groups/individuals have concerts here ... many smaller venues for concerts of all types ... a huge river and many smaller rivers ... a symphony ... an NFL team ... minor league Arena football, basketball, baseball, soccer ... 2 Univ with most sports ... public swimming pools ... many major chain restaurants and dozens & dozens of excellent local restaurants ... many Broadway shows ... the Alhambra and lots of smaller neighborhood theaters ... urban and natural parks all over the city ... hiking & biking trails ... miles of beaches ... campgrounds ... golf courses ... lots of bars/nightclubs for all genres ... quirky little shops ... new modern shopping areas ... kayak/canoe/paddleboat rentals ... fresh or saltwater fishing ... recreational sports teams for kids & adults ... the Art Walk ... the River Run ... the Air Show ... July 4th fireworks ... the Circus ... the Riverside Arts Market ... outstanding museums ... a world class zoo ... it recent years: the Super Bowl, NCAA Basketball Tournament, Ice Capades, Nat'l Gymnastics competition, ACC Baseball tournament ... yeah, there's nothing to do here
Love it!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:27 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatUndercoverBrother View Post
I really liked that someone here mentioned there are more churches up north than in the south. I know this for a fact, but up north churches, at least in Cleveland, aren't as involved in creating or catering or patronizing societal events as here. Actually the only times a church was involved in these events was for their annual patron saint festival.

Which kind of bothers me when I go into a chain store and hear them play Christian rock, or when I'm told about a 4th of July event that is being organized by a church, or if there is an outside concert on church grounds or a classical music concert inside a church. It makes me wonder, why? Why aren't these concerts happening in a non-religious space? It's almost eerie to see. These are the kind of stuff that people who write "You should've known the south was religious" do not understand. When people with a defined sense of religion is here/secular is here=they don't mix; come here, they don't understand why you guys think that mixing these is normal, or at least, normal enough to not raise suspicions from outsiders.
Honestly, why does it bother you to hear a certain type of music in a store or something is sponsored by a church? Again, I'm in NO WAY religious and I just don't even notice these things.

As far as comparing how churches are part of the community down here and they aren't up there. Same thing goes for the Northeast. Churches are a part of the community throughout the South (I lived in NC for 7 years, same way there). While I'm not religious, I think this is a good thing. At least there is a sense of community here. There is none up North.

I have no problem if someone is religious (or not). I have no problem if they are Muslim, Christian, Jewish, etc. either. I don't care. Why do you care so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville