U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-26-2011, 09:27 AM

3,778 posts, read 2,907,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatUndercoverBrother View Post
notSilverman, dude, really? I'd love to see you unemployed or in need of a job, and someone offering you a job in a place you haven't researched, making more than you were before and you telling them "yeah, you know, I need to research the place, I need time to check it out before I can commit to you on this one."

On the other hand, Have you thought of Amelia Island? It's part of the Jax MSA woohooo! But the beach is pretty much a 5 minute drive, or a good walk from downtown Amelia, shops, a port to dock your boat, and all the other stores someone may need. Plus last I checked there were a lot of nice, older ladies in the area, hanging out at a blues club. My parents actually like Amelia Island a lot. They are nearing their 70s. If I was retired, I think I'd even dock a boat there myself.
While I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume you were speaking rhetorically, and didn't really mean to say that you want to see a disabled vet unemployed, I'm also going to say that your first couple of sentences are possibly the most disrespectful thing I've seen in the last week or so.

And btw, it sounds like you made the decision to move here without researching, for fear that the employer wouldn't allow you the time to look into things. I find it hard to believe that any employer asked you to move across the country and expected a decision that day. Either way, though, you accepted the position, so any dissatisfaction with the decision still comes back to your shoulders.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 09:36 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,437,297 times
I was given a week to look at JAX myself and another 4 days to bring my wife down to look before officially accepting my new role in JAX. My company isn't the most employee friendly either.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 AM

168 posts, read 146,791 times
It's unfortunate that you don't like living here, GreatUndercoverBrother, so your plan to relocate away from here is a good one. Be sure to check out the area you move to thoroughly prior to moving so you won't be unhappy in your new environment.
As others have stated here, the notion that your employer would require an immediate response to their job offer seems unlikely. I find it hard to believe that any reputable company would balk at your wanting to check out the area prior to accepting or declining an offer. In fact in my previous role as a corporate recruiter I would never have hired somebody who did not come explore the area prior to accepting a job offer for two reasons: 1) it shows a lack of preparation, initiative and common sense and 2) the candidate would be a flight risk to the company; once here, he/she may decide they don't like it and leave. Then the relo, training, and recruiting expenses would be lost as well as productivity.
In any event, I wish you well in your new location and hope you find exactly what you are looking for.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:16 AM

152 posts, read 123,764 times
Quote:
Sorry Robyn I had not replied appropriately to your post earlier, I've been in and out today and responded to someone elses post w/your quote on it. Anyhow to answer your question:

You know what I miss, the quaint feeling of uniqueness in a place. For example, you mentioned Manhattan. Manhattan is a pretty amazing place, not for all though, and it wasen't meant to be for all to enjoy, as neither is Jacksonville, but I'm digressing here..anyhow there is something special about walking in Central Park, getting a hot dog, and work your way towards the MET.

That unique set of attributes that NYC has that makes it special. Or when you are in San Francisco and you hit the Fisherman's Wharf and you know you have an awesome selection of seafood at your hands, it doesn't even matter that its cold, or windy, or both, just meandering around, these are visually, and sensorially stunning places, and that goes beyond the weather of the place.

Yes, no one likes shoveling snow, but when you are holding a hot cup of coffee from your local coffee shop, (That is not a Starbucks) as it is snowing outside and some stores are playing Christmas jingles, it's almost magical. Or like when in Cleveland, I remember one summer I went from a Palestinean restaurant to the Museum of Art (free), to visiting friends to stumbling against a free, live performance on a side walk by an awesome local Latin Jazz artist to checking out the Cleveland Orchestra's free outdoor concert just 15 minutes away, in one day. There was a sense of artistry and creativity wherever I went that day.

Here in Jax, I don't get the sense of "magic" of "uniqueness." I find it generic. And maybe it's here and I'm not seeing it, but I've been here a year, and in San Francisco just a week, and it stood out in SF, not here. Also, as a young professional with no kids, when you add that lack of moxie in the area, to the somewhat sprawled availability of quality night and daytime activities, it becomes challenging to be fully accepting of the place.

There are small things here that are nice, such as the beach, I personally like it better than Southern California's. But for some reason there was more to do around the beach in SC than here. But a man can't survive on beach water and sunsets alone. (At least unless you are surfer, or involved in aquatic activities, then maybe yes. At least not me.) Another example would be agriculture, FL is considered the 2nd most important food producer in the nation, after CA; and yet the sense of local/organic lifestyle/consumption is almost anemic.

There is a great agriculture industry out there, that ought to connect nature with people here, just as people connect to the beach and other aquatic activities. Restaurants and this big piece of land mass could be more proactive in tapping into "NATURE" or "ORGANIC" to help create a "greener" "younger" "hip" environment, but outsiders used to this type of lifestyle and visiting the area, will not see this in a significant way, aside from the Riverside Market on Saturday's because it's not as part of the local culture as religion or churches are. It's so nice to go up north and see a restaurant posting where they get their ingredients from and connecting people to their local farms. It adds a sense of stewardship of uniqueness that helps shed light on how boring generic is. These are the things I gravitate towards.
THIS is a good post I wonder why you could not have posted this or something similar in your original rant, because if you had I am sure you would have gotten the love you so evidently wanted Ohh wait a minute that's exactly why you posted the way you did, to sow confusion and conflict upon your enemy all the church going, redlight sitting, literal minded, southern, miscreants you perceive as being in here. From what I hear (by listening not forming negative preconceptions) there are several restaurants in the Sprinfield and urban area that tout their organic locally grown offerings from local farms , and in fact I was informed there was an organic farm expo weekend several weeks ago, that I was told included tours and products from over 30 local sources. Doesn't sound like you bothered with this one as they say it was pretty spread out and required some driving effort and gas to partake in. So far I find Jacksonville less generic than many other places I have been, but then I have only been here about 2 weeks, and I have yet to be attacked by the Disgruntled Fairy and whacked upside the head with the "Lets **** everyone off stick" and make everyone as unhappy as I am. So anyway here's hoping your future job hunt goes well and you can find a position that will take you to a city where you will be happy and joyful all day.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:16 PM

65 posts, read 75,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
And you wonder why people have jumped all over you?

You wish he'd experience unemployment??? Are you serious? I don't wish that on anyone (well, maybe one or two people who've wronged me and my family over the years but...) and certainly not a disabled vet! You ever serve your country? I have and, even if I didn't, I'm still respectful of those who have/do serve our country. If it wasn't for them you wouldn't have the choice of living in Jacksonville, or Cleveland or anywhere!
Yes, I also take pacifiers away from babies being strolled in parks and run away with stranger's Bibles on my Sunday jogging routine. You know me oh so well! That was a figure of speech. My brother served in the Marines, I showed him the post, he wasen't offended.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:47 PM

Much Ado About Nothing!!! I was not offended by the other poster, in fact it just confirms my suspicion that he will do or say anything to create conflict and once again he has succeeded. You showed the post to your brother who served in the Marines, how noble of him not to be offended unless he too is a disabled vet I do not believe he is qualified to act as a sounding board for your insensitivity. Plus he is your brother, one would expect nothing less than his agreement with you would one? Like I said it doesn't bother me in the least, as I have had people I actually knew and liked make thoughtless remarks about my disabilities and disabilities in general. Because that's what they are just thoughtless remarks. Nothing personal. No harm no foul.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:21 PM

65 posts, read 75,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notSilverman View Post
Much Ado About Nothing!!! I was not offended by the other poster, in fact it just confirms my suspicion that he will do or say anything to create conflict and once again he has succeeded. You showed the post to your brother who served in the Marines, how noble of him not to be offended unless he too is a disabled vet I do not believe he is qualified to act as a sounding board for your insensitivity. Plus he is your brother, one would expect nothing less than his agreement with you would one? Like I said it doesn't bother me in the least, as I have had people I actually knew and liked make thoughtless remarks about my disabilities and disabilities in general. Because that's what they are just thoughtless remarks. Nothing personal. No harm no foul.

notSilvermann, at what point did you point out you were a disabled vet? Before or after I wrote my "rude, insensitive comment"? So I make this "thoughtless" remark to someone I didn't know was a vet and that makes me "rude"? I'm sorry it just seems too silly to me to comment any further about this topic, so if you guys want to banter away about this one, go right ahead! I have better things to do.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:24 PM

7,239 posts, read 7,465,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
While I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume you were speaking rhetorically, and didn't really mean to say that you want to see a disabled vet unemployed, I'm also going to say that your first couple of sentences are possibly the most disrespectful thing I've seen in the last week or so.

And btw, it sounds like you made the decision to move here without researching, for fear that the employer wouldn't allow you the time to look into things. I find it hard to believe that any employer asked you to move across the country and expected a decision that day. Either way, though, you accepted the position, so any dissatisfaction with the decision still comes back to your shoulders.

And apparently you don't know how the current job market works. Take a look at the Work and Employment/ Unemployment board and read some of the posts.

They range from people going on three interviews at the same company and then never even given the courtesy of a followup as to what their status is, to people not even being able to get a part time retail job.

One poster had to write an essay on why they wanted to work in a chiropractor's office part time for $10 an hour and no benefits.

If you're offered a job and you hesitate these days they have people lined up behind you to take it.

The OP wasn't wishing unemployment on anyone, he was saying I would like to see what you would do if you were in my position.

That is all.

What is is about the FL boards that people get their knickers in a twist if someone says they don't like it here?

You don't see it on other state boards so frequently, if someone doesn't like a place it isn't that big of a deal.

Of course those boards aren't overloaded with desperate realtors who don't say they're realtors.

Who go crazy if someone says anything negative.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:42 PM

10,745 posts, read 6,860,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCoChef View Post
This has been a fun thread to read ... I have a question ... does it make anyone feel better to have the world reknown Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville? I utilize their services - and found the health care received so superior to any I've experienced (even as a nurse coast to coast over 25 years)... that I personally moved to be near them.... not the Florida location - but one of their other two... my sis moved to FL last year for a job - so I was going to read about Jacksonville as a locale option to be closer to family.... this was quite eye opening! Minimally I'm glad I'm not the only one who even after checking an area out for 3 weeks - finds things a bit challenging... Part of it might be that moving and adjusting simply may have been 'easier' when I was younger in years...so while making dramatic moves 'feels' still easy - it's actually admittedly harder. Additionally some of my locations lived are what people might call a veritable nirvana of perfection.... Leave the cradle of that and you do 'notice' a lot more what's wrong with a location. Yet after reading this - I think it'll be wise to stay for awhile and adjust... no one invited me here - I chose to be here ... the place did just fine before my attendance with our without my approval. But actually living in the trenches you perhaps learn more about yourself than the area. There's good everywhere and there's less than desirable everywhere - do you flex and bend - wall yourself up behind a heavy door or move? It's up to you - but it's all 'living life' - and simply amazing!
My husband and I like Mayo. We get some secondary and tertiary care there. We didn't move here because of Mayo (it was a tiny start-up back in 1995) - but it would definitely be a factor in our deciding to stay here (not that we're thinking of moving now). Especially since it's a 10 minute drive from our house.

I guess from the messages you've posted that you live in the metro Phoenix area. I think (am not sure) that Mayo there is somewhat smaller than Mayo here. FWIW - my brother moved to that area a couple of decades ago from Connecticut - because he wanted to live in the SW with his family - and because he had a good job opportunity there (he's a doctor).

One thing to keep in mind is that many health plans here don't have Mayo as a "participating provider". Mine does - and my husband is on "traditional" Medicare (Mayo accepts traditional Medicare patients - but not Medicare Advantage or Medicaid patients) - so we are ok. If you have any questions about how things work here with Mayo - give a holler. Robyn

Old 06-26-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
notSilvermann, at what point did you point out you were a disabled vet? Before or after I wrote my "rude, insensitive comment"? So I make this "thoughtless" remark to someone I didn't know was a vet and that makes me "rude"? I'm sorry it just seems too silly to me to comment any further about this topic, so if you guys want to banter away about this one, go right ahead! I have better things to do.
Evidently you are not rude just dumber than a stump as the post where I informed you I was a disabled vet is the exact same one that you replied to with your (self proclaimed) "rude, insensitive comment"? Maybe if you took the time to read what you have written you wouldn't come off as such a *%#@&*!@ to every one in the room. But as I stated before what you said doesn't bother me in the least, because actually you mean less to me than a piece of "whatever" on the bottom of my boot. But your inaccuracy and deflection does. OHH BTW *%#@&*!@ isn't actually a word just a figure of speech as you so aptly describe them and its also just random typing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville