Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,135 times

Advertisements

We have lived in Jacksonville for the last 10 years and are now planning to escape to somewhere with a more moderate climate.

The easiest way I have to explain living in FL to people who have never been here, or have only been here on vacation is to get up in the AM as usual, shower,do your hair and makeup, get dressed then get back into the shower set at the hottest temp. Get soaking wet and then get out of the shower and try to breath. This feeling goes on for about 10 months of the year
The problem with living in a "tropical" climate is that our bodies are designed to work in a specific way to keep us cool. We sweat and it evaporates. That keeps us cool. Here in FL the sweat doesn't evaporate. We have massive numbers of people who suffer from heat stroke every year, especially older people and children. This is not a problem that drinking water will solve as in more arid conditions. The only way to avoid heat stroke is to stay indoors in the AC for most of the year.

Some of the beaches are nice, some aren't. In Jax you can't park much closer than a block away from the beach. That means everything you brought with you has to be lugged at least a block. Then you will find yourself burned to a crisp in about 3.6 seconds regardless of sunscreen.

Then there are the bugs, fleas, gnats, snakes, lizards and so on.
The state color is dull lime green, grass, trees anything that grows, if you can grow it.

Basically FLAUSA may be nice for a vacation, but it is a horrid place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinenurse View Post
We have lived in Jacksonville for the last 10 years and are now planning to escape to somewhere with a more moderate climate.

The easiest way I have to explain living in FL to people who have never been here, or have only been here on vacation is to get up in the AM as usual, shower,do your hair and makeup, get dressed then get back into the shower set at the hottest temp. Get soaking wet and then get out of the shower and try to breath. This feeling goes on for about 10 months of the year
The problem with living in a "tropical" climate is that our bodies are designed to work in a specific way to keep us cool. We sweat and it evaporates. That keeps us cool. Here in FL the sweat doesn't evaporate. We have massive numbers of people who suffer from heat stroke every year, especially older people and children. This is not a problem that drinking water will solve as in more arid conditions. The only way to avoid heat stroke is to stay indoors in the AC for most of the year.

Some of the beaches are nice, some aren't. In Jax you can't park much closer than a block away from the beach. That means everything you brought with you has to be lugged at least a block. Then you will find yourself burned to a crisp in about 3.6 seconds regardless of sunscreen.

The state color is dull lime green, grass, trees anything that grows, if you can grow it.

If you've lived in Jax for 10 years without becoming acclimated, then you haven't tried. I moved from Jersey, and didn't change my routine. (which means being outside most of the time) It took 6 months to get into the groove completely. I gave away all my heavy clothes and haven't looked back. All the things I had to put off til the weather improved, are done almost anytime. Attitude is a big part of it. I'm 200 miles South of Jax.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Thank God for drug dealer tinted windows. (yours and mine) I would hate to look down and see whats in that gold Acadia that's driving next to me.
Not me.... enquiring minds want to know!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
If you've lived in Jax for 10 years without becoming acclimated, then you haven't tried. I moved from Jersey, and didn't change my routine. (which means being outside most of the time) It took 6 months to get into the groove completely. I gave away all my heavy clothes and haven't looked back. All the things I had to put off til the weather improved, are done almost anytime. Attitude is a big part of it. I'm 200 miles South of Jax.
Harry; no matter what, some people are just whiners and never happy with what they have and where they are.
But they all like to share their warped outlook on a public forum. The grass isn't always greener, it may not even be grass,
but if it's on the other side of the fence it must be better! You would have more luck talking to a cement wall,
as there's a better chance it may understand or even listen.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 AM

39 posts, read 58,365 times
We moved to FL in 1996 because of family. We've owned our home in a rural setting in Clay County for 14 years and have enjoyed most of home ownership here in FL. We have created a natural setting for wildlife, plants - flowering and vegetables - without using chemicals. Our home is updated and very comfortable, and I have very mixed feelings about leaving it, but need a change. Now we are ready to move on into Jax and have a different lifestyle without the long commute to work. We lead a rather simple life, but are looking forward to the walkability in Riverside, R.A.M., the Cummer, shops, restaurants, and events that we won't have the long drive to and from.

It's all about making do with what you have and enjoying the challenge of making your life what you want it to be. If you constantly look for life to come to you, you will never be happy. I think we'll like renting for awhile and also being more mobile, but if we find out that's not for us, we'll move on and do something else. I am rather surprised at all the negativity posted on this thread and sorry that so many find Jacksonville to be "beneath" their standards.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:30 PM

185 posts, read 318,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Possibly another reason some folks badmouth Jax........they moved here b/c of a job transfer (not us). What I mean is, when a company doesn't give an employee an option, in other words, the employee either takes the transfer to Jax or loses their job. I truely believe that this does happen. The employee really loves where they are living and had never given a thought about moving away, but the company is reorganizing or something and the transfer is a must or else. If a family really likes living in a "snowbelt" State, one thing they will definitely miss is snow.

Just something I was thinking about.
I don't think anyone is trying to come down on people in this situation. It is more than understandable. I know I personally am talking about who visit for a weekend and base the decision to move on it. Then move to FL and complain when they haven't done their due diligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
BINGO! My mom is from NJ, she moved to ATL long before I was born and also has her retirement home built in near Jekyll Island. Needless to say once she left she never looked back

Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
Quote:

aren't you glad you live in a country where you can move if you don't like it? USA USA USA!!

But really, 10 months? It has been beautiful since October.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Possibly another reason some folks badmouth Jax........they moved here b/c of a job transfer (not us). What I mean is, when a company doesn't give an employee an option, in other words, the employee either takes the transfer to Jax or loses their job. I truely believe that this does happen. The employee really loves where they are living and had never given a thought about moving away, but the company is reorganizing or something and the transfer is a must or else. If a family really likes living in a "snowbelt" State, one thing they will definitely miss is snow.

Just something I was thinking about.
That's understandable. I was basically given that choice, stay in Charlotte and take the package half a year later, or advance my career a bit and move to JAX. Basically, as long as this place wasn't a big ghetto, I was going to move. Luckily, the wife and kids enjoy being down here. Plus, I got to keep the Charlotte salary and lose all those damn taxes of NC. Very nice.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,062 times
Try living in the northern Quebec and then tell me how bad Fl is.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:38 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,765 times
Quote:

:::sigh:::

Yet another person spreading plain old lies.

I doubt very seriously this person has lived in Jacksonville at all much less for , "10 years." 10 months of hot and humid??? Really???

OMG, you can't park right next to the beach? Try going to the beach (or down the shore as we say it) in NJ. You're lucky to park within a quarter of a mile! Then you have to PAY to get on the beach!!!!

Burned even with sunscreen? Really!!!?? I'm half Polish and half Irish--neither of which does well in the sun. I have lived here for a little over 18 months. We go to the beach all of the time (was there all day yesterday with family who is in from out of town this week). I have yet to get burned here. We go through a lot of sun screen between myself, my wife and my two boys but NONE of us has been burned yet.

In my home, for those FEW months where is gets hot/humid, we turn on this really neat thing which cools and conditions the air and then circulates in throughout my house. If I close the windows and turn this on, the house stays a very comfortable temperature (and humidity level!) so we're not sweating in the house and when we get out of the shower. You should try it some time...

At least you got SOMETHING right--it is green here year round. Not sure why that's a complaint. Would you rather have green for part of the year and brown the rest of the (winter) months???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville