U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:28 AM

1,017 posts, read 951,238 times

Advertisements

Actually checked it out last night with the Beaches Photography Club. It's really a nice area with a nice view of the Landing. If they were to add an ice cream stand or some other things in the area, it could really become something nice--kinda like a mini-Inner Harbor like in Baltimore. It's one of those little things I don't know why they can't do. Downtown could really be nice with a little help. Most of that could be footed by corporations vying for this type of business. Imagine a Cold Stone Creamery right there...a couple of other nice restaurants (which don't cost an arm and a leg) and maybe a Starbucks (or other coffee shop.

Eventually, the City could add a footbridge to the bridge there so people could walk across to the Landing area (and vice versa). Could really be nice.

Anyway, shot a few photos last night of the area. I really need a wide-angle lens so please forgive me.

1: They do a music/light/water thing (started at 7:00pm). Cycles through various songs and the lights change and the fountain spouts differently. Very cool.

2: Great view of the Landing area.

3: I love bridges.

4: I thought this works well in b+w.

Thanks for looking and do check out the area if you haven't. It's very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 12:17 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,590,022 times
^hey, nice shots. When you make em look like that, I love bridges too!

Just wish the Hyatt weren't so ugly

Old 07-17-2011, 01:43 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,802,729 times
Great shots Rick I do so wish I could post profesional looking pics like that. But I am just basically getting into photography and have a lot to learn. I guess what I really need is a good easy to use photo editing program and a way to upload easier, the good photos I have done so far have all been scanned and then downloaded from my picures the bad are ones I tried to download from my camera and then posted (to big a resolutions, I guess) any way I loved the bridge ones too. Hmm maybe a class at FCJ or whatever they are calling it now.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:42 PM

1,749 posts, read 1,676,015 times
Great shots, these would like nice at the airport for incoming visitors. I fly so much and now I can't remember but I believe Jacksonville had amateur photgraphy and sometimes childrens drawings along the concourse headed to security in the past. These would look sharp along with other photos of Jacksonville from local photographers!!

Old 07-17-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Mye not the entire day, but perhaps the entire afternoon.

Museum of Science & History
Friendship Fountain
Southbank Riverwalk
Treaty Oak Park
Water Taxi
& River City Brewing Co are all right there.

That's a good 4 hours worth of doing.

We stopped at what I believe was Confederate Park around Main and a block south of 1st Street. A bit of homeless in the area but we thought we would let the girls feed the ducks and it would be alright. Well as we were getting out of the car this homeless dude sticks his hands down his pants and starts waving at us and smiling. Back in the car we go and headed home.

You know some of us who live in the suburbs are perceived as clueless (by some posters) to what a vibrant urban downtown looks like. We have traveled extensively throughout the US and spent a lot of time in LA, Chicago, Boston, NYC, San Diego and others and every time I visit downtown Jacksonville (like yesterday) and see the homeless and the decay I am reminded that I have been livng in this area for 22 + years and not much has changed. The water taxi and River City Brewery just are not going to cut it for a couple of little girls who will most likely grow up sheltered in the burbs until things get better downtown. So as mentioned in another post, another generation growing up in Jacksonville not knowing what an urban enviorment is (although mine have already been to Boston, Atlanta and Providence, they will know). Sorry for the rant

Old 07-17-2011, 04:45 PM

274 posts, read 310,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We stopped at what I believe was Confederate Park around Main and a block south of 1st Street. A bit of homeless in the area but we thought we would let the girls feed the ducks and it would be alright. Well as we were getting out of the car this homeless dude sticks his hands down his pants and starts waving at us and smiling. Back in the car we go and headed home.

You know some of us who live in the suburbs are perceived as clueless (by some posters) to what a vibrant urban downtown looks like. We have traveled extensively throughout the US and spent a lot of time in LA, Chicago, Boston, NYC, San Diego and others and every time I visit downtown Jacksonville (like yesterday) and see the homeless and the decay I am reminded that I have been livng in this area for 22 + years and not much has changed. The water taxi and River City Brewery just are not going to cut it for a couple of little girls who will most likely grow up sheltered in the burbs until things get better downtown. So as mentioned in another post, another generation growing up in Jacksonville not knowing what an urban enviorment is (although mine have already been to Boston, Atlanta and Providence, they will know). Sorry for the rant
I feel your pain. My wife and I have to give that park (and others in the downtown area) the once-over before we get out of the car and start exploring.

You mentioned some nice big cities. Any minute now somebody will accuse you of trying to compare Jacksonville with bigger, more high-class places. How dare you!!

Someone earlier mentioned all the "stuff" to do out by Friendship Fountain. There certainly is lots of walking to do, and a museum to check out that changes one exhibit once in a blue moon. The museum is badly dated. I have been going since I was a kid, in the early to mid 1980s, and they have done one or two major renovations but not changed a whole lot. The Southbank riverwalk is in DESPERATE need of repair - as an able-bodied young man I have tripped and almost face-planted many times on that rickety death trap. Treaty Oak is worse than Confederate Park when it comes to the homeless - you have to be careful where you walk to keep from tripping over sleeping homeless people. Which is fine for my wife and I but not so much for a family with small kids.

It's frustrating because those photos GadgetRick posted LOOK beautiful, and you can walk right over the Main St bridge and right into the Landing - but then what? Eat at a half empty restaurant? Get harassed by at least two panhandlers between the foot of the bridge and the entrance to the Landing? Like I said, no skin off my nose, I go out there all the time, but to families with children, not real appealing. Especially when you can drive to the Town Center and walk around surrounded by hundreds of other people.

The fountain looks fantastic. The music synchronization is awesome - my wife and I watched it for half an hour a couple nights ago when they were testing it. There were maybe four other people out there. We ran thru the spray from the center jets when they hit full height. So nice!

...Until someone came up to us and started asking for money. My wife got irritated, and we went home.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

There are just some parts of an urban environment that are better not being know. Let alone experienced by decent people, with their children. We went to the Burrito Gallery the other night and as we were leaving some bum starts following us to our car and pleading for change, my wife being the kind soul she is, gives him a buck. Internally I was pleading also for change. (Change back to a time when this kind of stuff did not happen). If there was anything really worth going to downtown, then just maybe more people would go down there and visit. you know of all those places previously mentioned in an earlier post

Quote:
Mye not the entire day, but perhaps the entire afternoon.

Museum of Science & History
Friendship Fountain
Southbank Riverwalk
Treaty Oak Park
Water Taxi
& River City Brewing Co are all right there.

That's a good 4 hours worth of doing.
Yes they are all right there just not where I consider urban downtown to be, as they are all on the Southbank. Plus if the city really wants a vibrant urban core maybe they should re-instate walking foot patrols by JSO, to make investors and normal people feel safe spending money downtown. Sorry for my rant also.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:09 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,505,861 times
Wow. Its funny how clueless some people are.

"If there was anything worth going to..."

(ha)

Want a list of, I don't know, 20 things? Maybe 30, off the top of my head? In a small 1 x 2.5 sq mile core of the city?

We went through a phase like this on City Data before, where a few kept on repeating the same ignorant stuff how there's nothing to do downtown.

After a few weeks of flooding CD with downtown event, venues, and things to do, they changed their tune.

Perhaps it's time for another education? : )

&

"normal people" ?

Wow. Who are these tens of thousands that work everyday in this frightening place, and the thousands who enjoy all the various things to do for leisure. They certainly aren't "normal people".

Please, please....I think it's better you stay as far away as possible, God forbid a homeless person might speak to you.

(gasp!)

In a city!

(double gasp!)

Old 07-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:

(ha)

Want a list of, I don't know, 20 things? Maybe 30, off the top of my head? In a small 1 x 2.5 sq mile core of the city?

We went through a phase like this on City Data before, where a few kept on repeating the same ignorant stuff how there's nothing to do downtown.

After a few weeks of flooding CD with downtown event, venues, and things to do, they changed their tune.

Wow! its funny how clueless some people are

"when they just don't have the same burning passions that you do"

Yea I want a list of maybe just 10 things. Of things I would be interested in, not some artsy fartsy art bar or some lame one man show with styles that have no interest to anyone but those that listen to NPR. Some museums or comedy clubs. Maybe a few late night venues that straight people would enjoy just average everyday stuff. Just because not everyone has your passion for the downtown urban area makes them clueless. I wasnt evidently on CD when this discussion took place or maybe the subject matter or the list just bored me to tears because I just don't remember it. Maybe I should provide some in here with a list of things to do in a rural environment like on the farm and then call them clueless when it doesn't interest them, or they express opinions about it that don't meet my expectations. Show me a fountain in the urban core that doesn't involve a homeless guy relieving himself on a sidewalk and I might be interested

Old 07-17-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:

(ha)

&

"normal people" ?

Wow. Who are these tens of thousands that work everyday in this frightening place, and the thousands who enjoy all the various things to do for leisure. They certainly aren't "normal people".

Please, please....I think it's better you stay as far away as possible, God forbid a homeless person might speak to you.

(gasp!)

In a city!

(double gasp!)
Hey, I can feel your pain. you have a lot of time and money invested where you live and you should be proud of your accomplishments and what little downtown has shown over the years. I have friends who tried to make a go of it just outside the historic district of Sprinfgfield only to give in to the crime and sell. I have provided a link below that talks about where we stood in 2010 in regards to downtown Jacksonville. I am all for a better downtown and hopefully the new administration will move us forward, but I am also realistic and there are a lot more realistic people like me judging from the comments.

Downtown groups say Jacksonville's core is in crisis, needs a new strategy | jacksonville.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville